Surprise Carry Situation

This is a discussion on Surprise Carry Situation within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had a great experience today. I had a visitor from a newly started branch in Manassas, VA come to my office for training this ...

Thread: Surprise Carry Situation

Surprise Carry Situation

I had a great experience today. I had a visitor from a newly started branch in Manassas, VA come to my office for training this week. This is a young lady not too long out of college. During early afternoon, I took her out to see the attractions in the Harrisburg/Hershey, PA area. I was explaining that some areas she'd be smart to stay away from at night, especially by herself. That led us in to a whole other conversation.

This young lady was from Memphis and had recently moved to VA. However, she began to tell me she had her carry permit from TN and VA was reciprocal so she could carry there. Nonetheless, the touring of the area took longer than I expected as we spent a bunch of time talking about guns, shooting, scenarios, etc. I showed her my M&P 9c I had in the glove box.

It was really refreshing talking to this young lady who was intent on NOT becoming a victim. She even gave me some tips on how to convince my wife to carry. We'll see how that goes.

2. Remove Ads

Cool deal. Sounds like a good day and good conversation. I'm glad you had the opportunity to positively reinforce her carry decision and that she had the opportunity to share some perspective for you to share with your wife as well.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by MP45Man View Post
    I had a great experience today. I had a visitor from a newly started branch in Manassas, VA come to my office for training this week. This is a young lady not too long out of college. During early afternoon, I took her out to see the attractions in the Harrisburg/Hershey, PA area. I was explaining that some areas she'd be smart to stay away from at night, especially by herself. That led us in to a whole other conversation.

This young lady was from Memphis and had recently moved to VA. However, she began to tell me she had her carry permit from TN and VA was reciprocal so she could carry there. Nonetheless, the touring of the area took longer than I expected as we spent a bunch of time talking about guns, shooting, scenarios, etc. I showed her my M&P 9c I had in the glove box.

It was really refreshing talking to this young lady who was intent on NOT becoming a victim. She even gave me some tips on how to convince my wife to carry. We'll see how that goes.
    There are ALOT of women who carry in Memphis. Next time you take to her ask her if she got her carry permit training at RangeUSA. I used to work part time there.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Very nice, I have had a couple similar encounters over the years. Very refreshing.
    LET FREEDOM REIGN NOT GOVERNMENT

I'm spoiled - the two main women in my life are of the type the OP met. It's a beautiful thing.
    My wife - I don't know if she'd ever carry, but she is totally into me carrying. (I'm not a very kick-a-- lookin dude, maybe she's just relieved to feel safe for a change
    And my little girl is a dainty, feminine 23 year old college grad with her BA in fashion design, but brother, if she could she'd slip on a thigh rig with a .40 auto and a backup in an ankle holster in a heartbeat. Why? "It'd be fun" she says.
    How I love 'em.
    "I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you ---- with me, I'll kill you all."

Marine Corps General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders

Senior Member Array KoriBustard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sixsccw View Post
    I'm spoiled - the two main women in my life are of the type the OP met. It's a beautiful thing.
    My wife - I don't know if she'd ever carry, but she is totally into me carrying. (I'm not a very kick-a-- lookin dude, maybe she's just relieved to feel safe for a change
    And my little girl is a dainty, feminine 23 year old college grad with her BA in fashion design, but brother, if she could she'd slip on a thigh rig with a .40 auto and a backup in an ankle holster in a heartbeat. Why? "It'd be fun" she says.
    How I love 'em.
    Sixsccw, similar situation here. My wife would never carry (she's a horrible pistol shooter but decent with a shotgun). I, like you, have a 23 yo daughter who is totally fine with guns and is a very good shot with a rifle. I don't think she'd ever want to carry though. Then I also have a 20 yo daughter who despises guns, but doesn't give her old man too much grief about the one's I own. All one family, 4 totally different view points. My 23 yo is very interested in getting out on the skeet range with me, and I really look forward to that.
    NRA Member
    GOAL Member
    Certified NRA RSO
    EDC: M&P 9c

Quote Originally Posted by MP45Man View Post
    Nonetheless, the touring of the area took longer than I expected as we spent a bunch of time talking about guns, shooting, scenarios, etc. I showed her my M&P 9c I had in the glove box.
    If your wife read that, you may want to keep guns away from your wife.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Senior Member Array KoriBustard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    If your wife read that, you may want to keep guns away from your wife.
    At least he only showed her his 9mm "compact" and not his .45
    NRA Member
    GOAL Member
    Certified NRA RSO
    EDC: M&P 9c

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    What a cool lady and conversation! It is very refreshing when you meet someone who is fond of firearms and concealed carry but even better when it is a woman.

My wife is not very fond of firearms and she thought I was paranoid for carrying a gun 24/7 and that I was crazy for having so many of them (although I think I have a few and need more!). Then one day she felt very unsafe in a bad neighborhood while driving and she told me after her experience that she wished she was carrying a handgun or that I was there to protect her. She told me that at the very least she wanted now to learn how to shoot one of my handguns in case I wasn't there and someone broke into the house. Obviously, I took her to the shooting range with my 9mm Walther, I instructed her in all of the firearm safe handling rules and techniques and then she shot 50 rounds. She was a little scared after the first 10 rounds, but after she was very happy and now she is confident that if the need arises she can defend herself at home with my handgun and most important, she thinks I am a genius for carrying a gun and she gave the green light to buy as many as I want as long as I don't put a dent on the family budget. My next project is for her to buy her own handgun and to carry it. She already mentioned she browsed through my firearm magazines and that she liked the Walther PPS because it was "pretty, small, thin and cool", so we're off to a good start!
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Lead Moderator
    Did you suggest she stop by here and take a look around?
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Quote Originally Posted by sixsccw View Post
    How I love 'em.
    OK, why don't you talk your daughter into getting her permit. A single gal needs to be able to protect herself.

Quote Originally Posted by KoriBustard View Post
    At least he only showed her his 9mm "compact" and not his .45
    LMAO!!

Reminds me of the joke "Hey, man, how long you been wearin' women's underwear?"
    "Ever since my wife found 'em in my glove compartment..."
    "I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you ---- with me, I'll kill you all."

Marine Corps General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders

Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    Did you suggest she stop by here and take a look around?
    Absolutely. She wrote down the address I gave her.

Links