Hospital Carry

This is a discussion on Hospital Carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had to take my wife in for some surgery in the city last week. Not a real bad part of the city, but as ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hospital Carry

Hospital Carry

I had to take my wife in for some surgery in the city last week. Not a real bad part of the city, but as a whole the city has been getting worse. Nonetheless, I checked their website before I left and they stated they strictly prohibited weapons. I got there, not signs on the door, no metal detectors. Long story short, I could have carried no problem. Hopefully, there won't be a next time for me to make a decision on.

2. Remove Ads

You did the right thing by checking before you went.

Hope you wife doesn't need a return trip.

I have mixed feeling about my issue. I had not been in a big city emergency room until right after I got out of the Army. I secured my pistol in the vehicle and went inside I looked around the emergency room and wanted to go back and get my weapon. It was scary, you did the right thing but hospitals make me nervous.
    Glock 36, 30SF, 31, 32, 21 Gen4 - Carry guns
    Ruger Mini-14 and Remington 870 by the bed both wearing Surefire lights.
    Always carry a knife-they are handy to have
    Always carry a reload-You probably won't need it but it is good insurance .
    Always carry a light- To see in the dark

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    luckily Indiana has none of this nonsense legally binding sinage rules and when i go to the hospital or doctors office, all signs are ignored and my weapon stays with me
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Hospitals are off-limits here. It's in the law of prohibited places.

The regular ER hospital is like you describe, no signs, no security, and no one would notice if you carried. They're really worried that you might light up a cigarette in their parking lot, but not too concerned about your guns.
    The "state hospital" is scary though. They only order pizza at 9:50 at night it seems, but I always have to lock it up there. There's signs as soon as you pull in the driveway, and security is always roaming around, and there's some kind of detention facility there and some kind of mental facility - not a place I'm going to get caught carrying illegally. I hate going there.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Quote Originally Posted by Tala View Post
    Hospitals are off-limits here. It's in the law of prohibited places.
    That depends on where you are. There are no laws regulating concealed carry in hospitals here in Maine (except VA facilities since they're federal), though the hospitals themselves can choose to post "no gun" signs.

There is not signage on the doors of our local hospital BUT there is a small "No Guns" sign in the emergency waiting room. If I am not the patient I carry in the hospital and if caught all they can do is ask me to leave.
    Member:USCCA, NRA, GOA, WVCDL
    U.S. Navy vet 1955-1959, USS Dashiell DD 659. Glock 19, Ruger LCP, Ruger .357 Mag.
    When you are at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.

cj
    Yep, really depends on where you are. I'm surprised that, here in Colorado, some nice public (as in publicly funded) places include weapons on their list of 'No's' (along with no drugs, and the like) which, without metal detectors, is pretty meaningless from what I can tell by reading the laws.

I've never noticed a sign in a hospital here, and the only time I haven't carried there was when our baby was born.

If I'm not mistaken, you legally can't enter a hospital with a firearm in my state of GA.

Quote Originally Posted by MP45Man View Post
    I had to take my wife in for some surgery in the city last week. Not a real bad part of the city, but as a whole the city has been getting worse. Nonetheless, I checked their website before I left and they stated they strictly prohibited weapons. I got there, not signs on the door, no metal detectors. Long story short, I could have carried no problem. Hopefully, there won't be a next time for me to make a decision on.
    Well I guess it's a good thing you didn't know they didn't want you to carry there, (wink)

TVJ
    No CC in Texas hospitals.
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
    - Frederic Bastiat

Sign or no sign concealed means concealed.

(First post)
    I have had my ccw from Pennsylvania for 15 years. Just took my Missouri CCW class on Saturday since PA will expire soon.

There is a long list of places you can't carry. Hospitals being one of them. The worst that can happen to you is if your weapon is seen or someone thinks you have a weapon, you can be asked to leave. Even if they freak out and call the cops before asking you to leave, the cops can only ask you to leave the premisis or ask you to take your weapon to your vehicle. Where it gets hairy is if you decline... Then its a tresspassing violation. 100 bucks for 1st offense, 250 for 2nd, 500 for 3rd offense and loss of CCW endorsement...

Now this is in Missouri, not sure what your respective states say, but you may want to check... I took the family to the circus last night. Venues seating over 5000 people are a no CCW zone... I carried anyhow. Most they can do is ask me to leave.... Plus, I hate clowns!

In MI, hospitals are listed as a "pistol free zone". Meaning, is you have a MI CPL (CCW), you have to dis-arm prior to entering. The parking area's are not pistol free. If caught carrying, you face losing your license. But, some have the "pistol free except" box checked on the CPL. As always, this only applies to the legal ones that carry. The gang bangers carry where ever they wish.

No carry in hospitals here in Nebraska.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links