OWB Holster for concealed carry? Anyone do it?

This is a discussion on OWB Holster for concealed carry? Anyone do it? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have yet to get my license so thus far I have only carried around my yard and house, but I have several holsters and ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: OWB Holster for concealed carry? Anyone do it?

I have yet to get my license so thus far I have only carried around my yard and house, but I have several holsters and my newly acquired Don Hume JIT Slide 40 is by far the most comfy. Others I have are Black Hawk (not conealable IMO) and the King Tuck. I love the King Tuck but the Don Hume is so simple and so comfy (was also the cheapest of the lot, go figure). I can carry without printing as long as I wear one of my golf pullovers. But when I put just a t-shirt on, it isn't quite as concealed. Anyone worry about this or just put it on and go?

Thanks in advance!

It really depends on the type of clothing that you wear and what level on concealment you are comfortable with. Personally, I wear rather fitted clothes and am rather worried about concealment so IWB is it for me. When I had my Taurus 709 I could carry that OWB in a T-shirt with only a tiny bit of printing but I had to go up to a large instead of the medium I normally wear. I strictly carry IWB now as it's better concealed and I don't have to adjust my wardrobe as much.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

This thread has lots of pic of how people carry:

Let's See Your Pic's - How You Carry Concealed.
    NoNameMan likes this.
    In the heat of the moment, what matters is what your body knows -- not what your mind knows.

OWB is a good method of carry. I carry a P12 45 in a holster called the Beltster from Bandera Gun Leather. It is OWB, but inside the belt and held very securely. With a loose fitting untucked outer shirt it does well. I have done lots of strenuous activities and never had a retention issue. I am not affiliated with the company, just think they have a good product.
    Beltster, concealed carry holsters, colt handguns, glock handguns, leather gun holsters
    "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

VIP Member
    OWB carry is my prefered mode of carry. You just need to think about your dress and your daily activities. A little forethought goes a long way.

Michigan is and open carry state, so even if I am accidentally exposed, I don't worry about it much.

Besides, what is the point of buying really good looking leather and hiding it inside your waistband? :)
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

I use an OWB holster for concealed carry a lot. It's just a lot more comfortable for me, and it lets me carry a full size pistol like it was a compact. I usually wear a cover garment though.
    "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

I prefer OWB when I can. Cooler weather that's mostly how I carry. I have a Tagua leather beltslide and my wife has a Crossbreed snapslide. A light jacket or heavy shirt and you cannot tell. I can CC in my SERPA with the right jacket too. In the summer, it depends on the shirt I am wearing and how much I care about printing. Sometimes I'll go OWB, but usually go with the CB supertuck.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

I've tried a couple different IWB and have decided to go OWB instead. Although my Shielded IWB (CBST clone) was much more comfortable after some modification I still can't wear it all day and pretty much hate it. Now looking for a decent OWB to hold the gun high and close to the body.

In cooler weather, I usually go with OWB when I can wear a jacket or long shirt over it. I have a couple of IWBs that I use when I want more concealment. I have frequently worn them all day without problems, although they are not as comfy as OWBs.

I prefer OWB and carry all the time.I either carry a taurus709 or a glock g19.I use a don Hume 721OT.It keeps them tight.All I need is a shirt with the tails out.No Problem. sj
    9c4me likes this.

If I'm wearing a button up-type shirt, I can OWB with no issues in one of these: Lobo Gun Leather - ENHANCED PANCAKE STYLE HOLSTER, NEW FOR 2010!. If I'm in a t-shirt or polo, it's IWB for me.
    AlabamaConstitution of 1819: That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defence of himself and the state.
    The world doesn't owe you anything. It was here first.-Mark Twain
    "Life's tough. It's tougher if you're stupid."-John Wayne
    Sig P228; Micro Desert Eagle; S&W M&P Compact .357 sig

Thanks for the tips and links. I have a question, a lot of people say "when I care about printing" or "I don't care about printing" or "to what extent I care about printing". Is this just a law/personal preference topic? What I mean is, when would you not care? Alabama is an open carry state too, so as one of you posted from Michigan, it isn't illegal if it shows. Also, I am not worried about a bad guy seeing it and trying to disarm me either cause chances are I'll never need to pull it out. But I just don't want the public to freak out on me. Around here I see guys from time to time who are "half concealed" meaning an IWB holster but no cover garment. Some flat out open carry, but I am not about drawing attention to myself.

But as I said, I have no real world experience with carrying either OWB or IWB. But, my wife has yet to notice when I am carrying around the house (except when she hugged me and said "is that a gun in your pocket or are you happy to see me" to which I replied, "well, it is in fact a gun! LOL!") and from what I can tell my German Shepherds are none the wiser either. But who knows......

You'll eventually figure this out on your own. Try as many holsters as you can and see what works best with the clothing you like to wear. The mirror is your friend. Don't worry so much about printing...it's bound to happen no matter what you carry on your belt and besides, it's not a crime in your state.

I use owb exclusively. Tried iwb and didn't like it. I use a Don Hume 721 O.T. or a Glock Sport Combat for my Glock19 and Glock30SF. Both are very tight fitting holsters.

Good luck.
    Luis

"Everybody's got a plan, 'til they get hit".

Mike Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by Luis50 View Post
    You'll eventually figure this out on your own. Try as many holsters as you can and see what works best with the clothing you like to wear. The mirror is your friend. Don't worry so much about printing...it's bound to happen no matter what you carry on your belt and besides, it's not a crime in your state.

I use owb exclusively. Tried iwb and didn't like it. I use a Don Hume 721 O.T. or a Glock Sport Combat for my Glock19 and Glock30SF. Both are very tight fitting holsters.

Good luck.
    Hey Thanks!

My latest purchase GALCO IWB comes Thursday. Hopefully so will my license. Figures though that thus far the $26 Don Hume is my favorite. If it didn't get so dad blamed hot down here, I would just wear the pullovers. But in June, naked is the best choice of clothing (or close) and that won't lend itself to concealed carry very well. Of course, if I was naked with just a gun belt, people might not notice the gun so much.....

Quote Originally Posted by sjones View Post
    I prefer OWB and carry all the time.I either carry a taurus709 or a glock g19.I use a don Hume 721OT.It keeps them tight.All I need is a shirt with the tails out.No Problem. sj
    +1 on the 721OT-I use it with a Glock 30. I usually prefer IWB, because of the clothes I normally wear, but with jackets the 721 works and is actually more comfortable to me.
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links