Defensive Carry banner

OWB Holster for concealed carry? Anyone do it?

63K views 42 replies 32 participants last post by  brylow 
#1 ·
I have yet to get my license so thus far I have only carried around my yard and house, but I have several holsters and my newly acquired Don Hume JIT Slide 40 is by far the most comfy. Others I have are Black Hawk (not conealable IMO) and the King Tuck. I love the King Tuck but the Don Hume is so simple and so comfy (was also the cheapest of the lot, go figure). I can carry without printing as long as I wear one of my golf pullovers. But when I put just a t-shirt on, it isn't quite as concealed. Anyone worry about this or just put it on and go?

Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
It really depends on the type of clothing that you wear and what level on concealment you are comfortable with. Personally, I wear rather fitted clothes and am rather worried about concealment so IWB is it for me. When I had my Taurus 709 I could carry that OWB in a T-shirt with only a tiny bit of printing but I had to go up to a large instead of the medium I normally wear. I strictly carry IWB now as it's better concealed and I don't have to adjust my wardrobe as much.

#4 ·
OWB is a good method of carry. I carry a P12 45 in a holster called the Beltster from Bandera Gun Leather. It is OWB, but inside the belt and held very securely. With a loose fitting untucked outer shirt it does well. I have done lots of strenuous activities and never had a retention issue. I am not affiliated with the company, just think they have a good product.
Beltster, concealed carry holsters, colt handguns, glock handguns, leather gun holsters

#30 ·
I'm glad to see that I'm not the only lefty out there. Colt Satin Nickle Commander in a belt slide holster.

#5 ·
OWB carry is my prefered mode of carry. You just need to think about your dress and your daily activities. A little forethought goes a long way.

Michigan is and open carry state, so even if I am accidentally exposed, I don't worry about it much.

Besides, what is the point of buying really good looking leather and hiding it inside your waistband? :)

#6 ·
I use an OWB holster for concealed carry a lot. It's just a lot more comfortable for me, and it lets me carry a full size pistol like it was a compact. I usually wear a cover garment though.

#7 ·
I prefer OWB when I can. Cooler weather that's mostly how I carry. I have a Tagua leather beltslide and my wife has a Crossbreed snapslide. A light jacket or heavy shirt and you cannot tell. I can CC in my SERPA with the right jacket too. In the summer, it depends on the shirt I am wearing and how much I care about printing. Sometimes I'll go OWB, but usually go with the CB supertuck.

#8 ·
I've tried a couple different IWB and have decided to go OWB instead. Although my Shielded IWB (CBST clone) was much more comfortable after some modification I still can't wear it all day and pretty much hate it. Now looking for a decent OWB to hold the gun high and close to the body.

#11 ·
#12 ·
Thanks for the tips and links. I have a question, a lot of people say "when I care about printing" or "I don't care about printing" or "to what extent I care about printing". Is this just a law/personal preference topic? What I mean is, when would you not care? Alabama is an open carry state too, so as one of you posted from Michigan, it isn't illegal if it shows. Also, I am not worried about a bad guy seeing it and trying to disarm me either cause chances are I'll never need to pull it out. But I just don't want the public to freak out on me. Around here I see guys from time to time who are "half concealed" meaning an IWB holster but no cover garment. Some flat out open carry, but I am not about drawing attention to myself.

But as I said, I have no real world experience with carrying either OWB or IWB. But, my wife has yet to notice when I am carrying around the house (except when she hugged me and said "is that a gun in your pocket or are you happy to see me" to which I replied, "well, it is in fact a gun! LOL!") and from what I can tell my German Shepherds are none the wiser either. But who knows......:smile:

#27 ·
Thanks for the tips and links. I have a question, a lot of people say "when I care about printing" or "I don't care about printing" or "to what extent I care about printing". Is this just a law/personal preference topic? What I mean is, when would you not care? Alabama is an open carry state too, so as one of you posted from Michigan, it isn't illegal if it shows.
In answer to this, in some states there are specific legal definitions for what is concealed. Not a lawyer, but I've read every law out there for Alabama and firearms, and I can not find a definition one way or another. Open carry will get you different levels of crap depending on the county you are in from what I hear, but concealed as long as it's covered you should be fine, even with a little printing. I'd only really worry about being harrassed about it in the few places that post no gun signs (which no AL law addresses, either). If you choose to carry in those places, your concealment needs to be good.

#13 ·
You'll eventually figure this out on your own. Try as many holsters as you can and see what works best with the clothing you like to wear. The mirror is your friend. Don't worry so much about printing...it's bound to happen no matter what you carry on your belt and besides, it's not a crime in your state.

I use owb exclusively. Tried iwb and didn't like it. I use a Don Hume 721 O.T. or a Glock Sport Combat for my Glock19 and Glock30SF. Both are very tight fitting holsters.

Good luck.

#14 ·
Hey Thanks!

My latest purchase GALCO IWB comes Thursday. Hopefully so will my license. Figures though that thus far the $26 Don Hume is my favorite. If it didn't get so dad blamed hot down here, I would just wear the pullovers. But in June, naked is the best choice of clothing (or close) and that won't lend itself to concealed carry very well. Of course, if I was naked with just a gun belt, people might not notice the gun so much.....:blink:

#16 ·
Here is a picture of the holster I like so far (the one that sparked the thread). Am I good to go?

Attachments

#18 ·
Thanks. Yea as long as I put the elastic bottom tucked up under the barrel it doesn't do that. But while mucking around the house I raised my hands up over my head to get something off a shelf and you could see it. I guess in a way I am glad my permit hasn't made it. I am forced to try all this out first.

#22 ·
I wear loose fitting clothing for just that purpose. When we decide to carry concealed, we very often have to adapt our wardrobes and other aspects of our lives to accommodate our firearms. I have been carrying OWB for over 40 years, totally concealed.

#23 ·
I like my OWB holster due to comfort.

I prefer a high-ride pancake style (Highnoon slide guard model). It has a portion of leather that protects the gun from rubbing against your body when wearing a t-shirt... and from your sweat from getting on your firearm.

There are OWB holsters that sit lower than others (which will show more easily)... and there are OWB holsters that do not lay against your body as tightly... this is why I chose the Highnoon "Slide Guard" model OWB holster... since it does both (high and tight like a military hair cut).

High Noon Holsters

My first purchase was an IWB holster from Crossbreed and it now sits in the drawer. I just learn to dress around my OWB holster depending on where I am going and purchased a lightweight golfing vest to wear over a t-shirt or golf shirt in order to hide my firearm.

I have found that wearing just a t-shirt takes a bit more work.... but it can be done and must be 1 size larger than you nornally wear... and you must allow for shrinkage of the shirt when washing and drying.

Good luck.

Reactions: 9c4me
#24 ·
Really appreciate all the ideas and comments guys. I think the real test will be what happens come May when the temps hit 90 with 100% humidity. Whatever doesn't cause me to sweat to death will win the battle.

#25 ·
OWB will be cooler than IWB... due to not being right up next to your skin/body.

IWB holsters are either made from Kydex or leather... both of which can rub you raw or be hot/sweaty when it's 90F and 100% humidity.

Good luck,

#29 ·
I have to agree with some of the others and say that OWB is my favorite method of carry. Your clothing choice will help you a lot. Loose cover shirts, longer t-shirts. All of these things will help you conceal successfully.

I'd say I carry OWB 9/10 of the time.

#31 ·
I too prefer OWB carry most of the time. I have just found IWB to be uncomfortable. But recently I did purchaser an IWB holster that is very comfortable. It is basically a copy of the CrossBreed super tuck design. It is amazing. When i OWB carry concealed i use a Fobus or a Don Hume, with the Don Hume being my favorite. When Open carrying I use a Blackhawk SERPA.

As others have said, it all depends on your mode of dress. You can hide it if you dress around the gun.

#34 ·
After 16 years of iwb carry, I recently have been carrying a G17 with a x300 in a raven holster at 2 o"clock. I do find it comfortable but it does take more effort dressing around it than it would for any of my iwb setups.

#36 ·
I carry almost exclusively OWB in a couple of Looper set ups. I have a Blade-Tech IWB in case I need it but I greatly prefer OWB.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.