Traveling to Illinois and need some clarification.

This is a discussion on Traveling to Illinois and need some clarification. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by crabbys44 As far as I remember, you should be fine keeping it unloaded and separate from the ammo. As in not the ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Traveling to Illinois and need some clarification.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by crabbys44 View Post
    As far as I remember, you should be fine keeping it unloaded and separate from the ammo. As in not the same case as the gun type separated.

As an out of state resident "in transit" you won't need a FOID. Keep a printed set of your PCS orders with too. This just reinforces your transit status.

As a non-resident (not me any more) I've been able to purchase ammunition and range time w/ my TXDL.
    You can keep the gun unloaded with the ammo in the same case as the gun. It can be in a regular zip case or any container that will zip, snap etc.. Mags can be loaded but not in the gun. I unfortunately travel to Illinois a lot, I'm leaving to go in 2 hours. I unload my gun as I'm crossing the river. I take a revolver when going because its easier to unload and load back up as I'm crossing back into Ky. I just put the ammo and gun in the same case. It does not have to be locked. Its legal.
    Dont put it in the glove box or anywhere like that.
    Prepare for the worst and hope it never happens

2. Remove Ads

IL is a very sad place to travel (for gunnies). I simply stopped going thru IL for any reason. Fortunately I don't have family or close friends who live there.

Be Alert and Stay Safe

FastDraw

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    Save brain damage, go around the state.
    I've spent extra gas money to do exactly that...it's a matter of principle to me. Anti-gun = no $$$
    OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

When I travelled cross-country, the only no-carry state for me was IL. I stopped in IN, unloaded my J-frame, put the J-frame in a lockbox, put the lockbox in a locking drawer under the passenger front seat, and stowed the keys for the lockbox and the speedloader of ammo in my duffle bag, which was at the back of the van (the locking drawer requires the ignition key to unlock). I figured that qualified as "inaccessible".

Luckily, it wasn't an issue - we didn't even stop for gas.

this is fine if you are talking transit. But he did say he is making one stop in Belleville IL. Therefore he is no longer in transit. Wouldn't he now be in violation of IL law without a Foid card.

steve

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links