Do you carry everywhere you go? - Page 3

Do you carry everywhere you go?

This is a discussion on Do you carry everywhere you go? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by one eyed fatman Is there a law in your state that says you cannot carry in a post office? In Texas there ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by one eyed fatman
    Is there a law in your state that says you cannot carry in a post office? In Texas there is a law that says a postal employee cannot carry but nobody seems to be able to figure out if a ccw person can carry in a post office. I think here it's one of those gray area's created by the law so lawyers can make money figuring out if it's legal or not.
    The law is unclear about CCW and there hasn't been a case on it yet so it could go either way. I have read the statutes and arguements and tend to think that it is legal, but then again, who want to be the test case? Rob Firriolo Esq. has an article on the subject posted on The Gun Zone that might be worth looking up. Until the law is clarified, I don't plan on carrying into the Post Office, I can't afford to be the test case.

All the best,

Joe

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar
    The way I was taught here in Texas was I could not carry

1.In a school or a sporting event but that did not include the parking lot of the school or the sporting event.
    2. A polling place
    3. A Government Court Building
    4. A racetrack
    5. The secure area of a airport.
    6. 1000 feet from a place of execution on execution day.
    7. In a bar (not to be confused with a restaurant that serves booze as long as booze is not 51% of the business)
    8. an amusement park (and there is a very narrow definition of an amusement park to 6 Flags and maybe Sea World)
    9. any place that post a sign that is both in English and Spanish and the letters are at least 1 inches and in contrasting colors from the background that states "Pursuant to Section 30.06, Penal Code (trespass by holder of license to carry a concealed handgun), a person licensed under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code (concealed handgun law), may not enter this property with a concealed handgun."

Other than those 9 places you can carry anywhere in Texas to include a post office.
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Work
    I don't carry in the shower, but one is close at hand. I always carry when leaving my home and I have a firearm in every room of my home. I don't go to places I can't carry.
    Jungle Work

he he, I don't carry in the shower either but I too have one close at hand I've thought about putting in a false tile high in the shower to hold a pistol, maybe someday

I carry everywhere that is LEGAL, I too avoid places I can't carry.

Timmy Jimmy: just for clarification...
    8. an amusement park (and there is a very narrow definition of an amusement park to 6 Flags and maybe Sea World)

amusement parks, hospitals/nursing homes, and churches must post or notify verbally the 30.06 sign to keep you out
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    The only exceptions are where it's illegal to carry and one or two friends places
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Involved in an accident:

In a pinch, most ambulances have a lockable compartment for medications. This is a good place to secure the weapon if no other recourse is available.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Here's a nice standard pat answer:

I carry everywhere that's legal.

Quote Originally Posted by 64zebra

he he, I don't carry in the shower either but I too have one close at hand I've thought about putting in a false tile high in the shower to hold a pistol, maybe someday

I carry everywhere that is LEGAL, I too avoid places I can't carry.

Timmy Jimmy: just for clarification...

amusement parks, hospitals/nursing homes, and churches must post or notify verbally the 30.06 sign to keep you out
    Gladware is a nice temporary solution to that shower issue. Works for me My 1911 stays close and dry. It's just one of those little gladware plastic containers from the grocery store. Only downside is that you just have to train yourself to make a conscious effort to take it with you when you're done.

I live in NC and have to check about restautrants if we carry there cause most sells alcohol.

Everywhere Legal

I carry everywhere that I can, legally. The only places that the state restricts is buildings with metal detectors / security personell and K-12 schools.

When I go back to my home state of MI this fall for a vacation, it's going to be hard to remember about all of the "off-limits" places....

carry

I carry everywhere I legally can, and leave it in the car when i can't.
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at...

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs
    I did later find it TC and did comply ( as far as firearms go ) . but where Hospitals ect.. are spelled out in the statute ( which i looked up after the fact ), i dont know if an affirmitave defense of i did not see the sign , or the sign did not meet standards would work . I dont think ( especialy with me out of state , and former LE ) I would have had a real issue with any officers , or been charged . But ****** , post it , and post it right so we can see it and dont become inadvertent criminals LOL .
    LUCKILY - New State Law takes it OUT of a 'defense to prosecution' and states that Hospitals, Churches, etc are no longer considered as a prohibited place UNLESS POSTED PROPERLY - which specifically puts them in the same category as everyone else...
    Semper Fi ~

Eagle Scout 1975
    U.S.M.C. 1978-84
    Commercial Pilot
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Certified Flight Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor
    NRA Life Member
    TSRA Member

www.TexasArmament.com

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    I am 16/7 with very few exceptions.
    WHAT??? - No pajama carry rig yet?
    Semper Fi ~

Eagle Scout 1975
    U.S.M.C. 1978-84
    Commercial Pilot
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Certified Flight Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor
    NRA Life Member
    TSRA Member

www.TexasArmament.com

Ex Member Array one eyed fatman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy Jimmy
    The way I was taught here in Texas was I could not carry

1.In a school or a sporting event but that did not include the parking lot of the school or the sporting event.
    2. A polling place
    3. A Government Court Building
    4. A racetrack
    5. The secure area of a airport.
    6. 1000 feet from a place of execution on execution day.
    7. In a bar (not to be confused with a restaurant that serves booze as long as booze is not 51% of the business)
    9. any place that post a sign that is both in English and Spanish and the letters are at least 1 inches and in contrasting colors from the background that states "Pursuant to Section 30.06, Penal Code (trespass by holder of license to carry a concealed handgun), a person licensed under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code (concealed handgun law), may not enter this property with a concealed handgun."

Other than those 9 places you can carry anywhere in Texas to include a post office.
    Right on my man. Ya never know when a postal employee might go postal.

EVERYWHERE save the exceedingly rare time I'm in a courthouse or school.

WA has VERY VERY few restrictions, and signs posted by businesses and whatnot hold no legal weight.
    http://www.myspace.com/sgeringer
    SIG SP2009<>XD45 4"<>S&W 638-3<>GLOCK20<>Mossberg Mav88

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    I carry everywhere. When I get to work, I lock up the gun in my desk. I even take it out when I leave the office for lunch. When I find myself having to go into a place when weapons are either illegal, or banned by the particular business, I secure the gun in the car (I have a handgun safe that secures around the seat railing. I believe private property rights, even if I find them inconvenient. While not going to stores that prohibit handguns is an idea, Bass Pro Shops is among those, and I like the store (Bass asks that firearms be checked, and then puts on a trigger lock, and secures it in a small gun case that you're then given to carry around. The only real drag is a little lost time, and having to go to the customer service desk and wait for someone with the key to the trigger lock).

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links