AZ CWP Reciprocity

AZ CWP Reciprocity

This is a discussion on AZ CWP Reciprocity within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I email AZ CWP DEPT for a friend of mine to get a application for a non-resident for him. They replied and said we only ...

Thread: AZ CWP Reciprocity

Question AZ CWP Reciprocity

I email AZ CWP DEPT for a friend of mine to get a application for a non-resident for him. They replied and said we only have one permit - we do not differentiate between resident and non-resident. My question is, on the carry maps should'nt the reciprocity be the same for the resident and non-resident since they do not differentiate between resident and non-resident?

http://www.azdps.gov/Services/Concea...s/Reciprocity/
    SC-CWP
    AZ-CWP
    I rather be safe then sorry.
    It's better to have it when you need it then need it and dont have it.

For the states that don't recognize the "non-resident" permit, what state is the driver's license issued from?

That will settle the residency matter. If your friend has a NY driver's license and an AZ permit and is in a state that doesn't recognize non-resident permits things could get a bit troublesome. So, the answer to your question is, "No."

Each state is free to do as they wish, within the guidelines and framework of already established law, and the Constitution. Not recognizing an out of state or non-resident permit is pefectly within the bounds of the law.

Biker

If you have a Arizona Driver's License... you have a resident permit.

If your driver's license is from ANY other state, your Arizona CWP is non-resident.

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wwwildthing View Post
    If you have a Arizona Driver's License... you have a resident permit.

If your driver's license is from ANY other state, your Arizona CWP is non-resident.
    At least while in our fine state that is! However, remember the laws about establishments that serve alcohol and CCW, i.e. permit holders only. AZ has different requirements for receiving the permit for residents and non-residents, but the permit itself is the same.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

The requirements for receiving the permit are the same for residents and non-residents...

Arizona Revised Statute 13-3112

N. An applicant shall demonstrate competence with a firearm through any of the following:

1. Completion of any firearms training program that is approved by the department of public safety and that is conducted by instructors who are authorized by the department of public safety or who possess current national rifle association instructor certifications in pistol and personal protection and who submit to a background investigation, including a check for warrants and a criminal history records check.

2. Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class that is available to the general public, that is offered by a law enforcement agency, a junior college, a college or a private or public institution, academy, organization or firearms training school and that is approved by the department of public safety.

3. Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Arizona game and fish department or a similar agency of another state.

4. Completion of any national rifle association firearms safety or training course.

5. Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class that is offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies or other divisions or subdivisions of law enforcement or security enforcement and that is approved by the department of public safety.

6. Evidence of current military service or proof of honorable discharge or general discharge under honorable conditions from the United States armed forces.

7. A valid current or expired concealed weapon, firearm or handgun permit or license that is issued by another state or a political subdivision of another state and that has a training or testing requirement for initial issuance.

8. Completion of any governmental police agency firearms training course and qualification to carry a firearm in the course of normal police duties.

9. Completion of any other firearms training that the department of public safety deems acceptable.

Keep in mind that regardless of what state issued your permit, your subject to the laws of the state your standing in.

Quote Originally Posted by foots402 View Post
    I email AZ CWP DEPT for a friend of mine to get a application for a non-resident for him. They replied and said we only have one permit - we do not differentiate between resident and non-resident. My question is, on the carry maps should'nt the reciprocity be the same for the resident and non-resident since they do not differentiate between resident and non-resident?

http://www.azdps.gov/Services/Concea...s/Reciprocity/
    Go to handgunlaw.us, the yellow states are the ones where you can't use a non-resident permit. If your friend is going to visit FL anytime, he may want to get that one instead, since AZ won't cover him if he doesn't live in AZ. That's assuming he doesn't have a SC permit, if he lives there.
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

When it comes to recognition/reciprocity, your residency is determined whether the permit in question is from the same state you reside in, not the permit itself.

Sponsored Links