Concealed Carriers......fear mongers, power trippers, or responsible people?

This is a discussion on Concealed Carriers......fear mongers, power trippers, or responsible people? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What do you all experienced carriers say when someone inevitably says "you are a power hungry macho guy" or "you are a fear monger and ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Concealed Carriers......fear mongers, power trippers, or responsible people?

Concealed Carriers......fear mongers, power trippers, or responsible people?

What do you all experienced carriers say when someone inevitably says "you are a power hungry macho guy" or "you are a fear monger and live your life in fear" or some other slam. Just asking cause people say it all the time. I work with a LEO and he is all for carrying (as are most LEO's I talk to) but the general public seems to feel differently.

What do you say?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    If I 'm carrying concealed who would know to ask?

Not really talking about people stopping you in public cause they see your weapon. But people who know you, or family members, etc. Or if you are talking at the water cooler or something and it comes up.

Good Boy Scouts...................always prepaired.
    shooterX and 640girl like this.

I generally don't have that conversation because I keep that fact that carry known to only close friends or family.

I try not to engage in those conversations anymore because I know they are an act of futility, whether it is a conversation about gun control, religion, abortion or whichever hot button topic it may be. I don't care as much as I used to about trying to change peoples' opinions.

If they don't want to carry fine that's their choice to not protect themselves. But that doesn't stop me from being able to protect myself.
    640girl likes this.

VIP Member
    Don't brag about it and no one will ask. If someone does know about it and asks, the answer is, "bad things happen to good people." Its best to be prepared as much as is reasonably possible. They may then counter that carrying isn't reasonable, but you can inquire what is? And then there is a teaching moment.
    shooterX likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Don't brag about it and no one will ask. If someone does know about it and asks, the answer is, "bad things happen to good people." Its best to be prepared as much as is reasonably possible. They may then counter that carrying isn't reasonable, but you can inquire what is? And then there is a teaching moment.
    Very simple and well put.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    I don't say anything, heck, I can't even carry a gun yet (permit on way). But in my case the conversation came up with my wife. Of all people, she WILL know. Just looking for some good talking points.

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    What do you all experienced carriers say when someone inevitably says "you are a power hungry macho guy" or "you are a fear monger and live your life in fear" or some other slam. Just asking cause people say it all the time. I work with a LEO and he is all for carrying (as are most LEO's I talk to) but the general public seems to feel differently.

What do you say?
    Do you wear a seatbelt? Why? Are you planning on wrecking your car?
    EvilMonk, gilraen and Lewis128 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by loneviking View Post
    That's probably my favorite analogy.

most of my family doesnt even know I carry. Its my little secret.

Quote Originally Posted by poppy37 View Post
    most of my family doesnt even know I carry. Its my little secret.
    I wish I was smarter than I am, this would have been a better route I think.

I'm also of the mindset "Only my family and closest of friends should know I'm carrying." That greatly reduces my chances of having this conversation. Of those, my dad has a permit, my mom won't get one because she works for the post office and doesn't go anywhere unless it's before or after work, my best friend and his wife both want to get their permits, my girlfriend wants to get a permit, my other friend has been asking me about how to go about getting a permit, and the other people I call friends are all sworn and commissioned sheriff's deputies. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones when it comes to this subject.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

Sponsor
    I don't hide that I carry even though I conceal my side arm. I am vocal about my belief that the 2nd Amendment is the base and protection of all the rights laid out in the U.S. Constitution. When asked why I carry I simply state that it is my duty to protect my family and that carrying a fire arm is nothing more than using all available tools for that purpose. I then remind the questioner that his right to question my methods and lifestyle is guaranteed by the same constitution and protected by the second amendment.
    quincy07 likes this.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Quote Originally Posted by loneviking View Post
    Thats the question I ask.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links