Concealed Carry in a shared office building

This is a discussion on Concealed Carry in a shared office building within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I did a quick search and did not find much hopefully this has not been covered before, if it has please direct me to the ...

Thread: Concealed Carry in a shared office building

Concealed Carry in a shared office building

I did a quick search and did not find much hopefully this has not been covered before, if it has please direct me to the appropriate information.

As many who work in an office environment my company has a no weapons policy that I respect so this is currently a “in theory” question. But for the purposes of this question let’s assume I am able to remove the no weapons policy and that I can legally carry concealed in both states.

First, the Colorado office where I work is in a building that is shared with a branch of the University of Phoenix. The university apparently has a no weapons policy as there is a small sign posted on the front office doors that states there are no weapons allowed on campus. This sign is NOT on the main entrance to the building, just on the doors to the front office of the university. I am assuming that there would be no issues with me carrying in “shared” space, i.e. lobby, hallways, elevators, etc. But does anybody know for sure? Has anyone run into any similar issues?

Second, the HQ for my company is in Washington State and they share building space with a branch of the ATF. Are there any differences in WA as opposed to CO in regards to this issue? And does the fact that there is a federal law enforcement agency in the building change things?

In both cases there are no security screenings to get into the building.

Thanks for any information!
    "You can't shake the devils hand and say you were only kidding"

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    At least in Indiana if there is shared office space it would be legal to carry there. I don't know if your state allows campus carry, but it is legal here. Just because a federal office is in the building does not make the entire building a federal building so it would be legal to carry up to the point of the threshold of the ATF office. Just do not enter as you are now on federal ground. Unless the building is being rented by the federal government, how would that affect things if the ATF space was being rented and did not actually belong to them?
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Colorado does currently allow campus carry as far as know (CU will try and change that when it takes the case to the Colorado supreme court, but they will hopefully lose). However this is a private university and as far as I know can set its rules as any other private business.

You do bring up an interesting point, I assume other companies own both buildings and lease out the space, however it is possible that the university does own the building in Colorado. Does that change anything?

In CO if they have no metal detectors you can carry. If detected you can be asked to disarm or leave. In Washington you are good up to ATF's door.
    Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by ShadeAngel View Post

You do bring up an interesting point, I assume other companies own both buildings and lease out the space, however it is possible that the university does own the building in Colorado. Does that change anything?
    If U of P owned the building, you'd think they'd have the sign up in the main entrance. Take a quick peak around the entrances and see if there's any signage stating who manages the building as that's a pretty good indication of who owns it.

You could also ask your office manager or someone who handles finance who owns the building.

It sounds like to me, you're pretty safe if there's nothing posted on the main entrances of the building and you do not walk into the suite of U of P.

Thanks for the responses! Now to work on changing that policy

Links