NC Carry Law

This is a discussion on NC Carry Law within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Handgunsusa seems a bit vague. Can you carry in the Great Smokey Mountain Park? We are visiting from out of state. As I understand it,we ...

Thread: NC Carry Law

NC Carry Law

Handgunsusa seems a bit vague. Can you carry in the Great Smokey Mountain Park? We are visiting from out of state. As I understand it,we cannot carry in state parks etc.
    Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up."
    --Wyatt Earp

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
    -- Wyatt Earp

2. Remove Ads

Great Smoky Mountains National park is what you're refering to I belive and it's a national park. You can carry as long as you follow the NC laws on concealed carry.

Great Smoky Mountains National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

Here is their firearms position.

Great Smoky Mountains National Park - Laws & Policies (U.S. National Park Service)

If you go to any state parks you can not carry, here is the link to the State Parks site and their position on firearms.

N.C. Division of Parks and Recreation: Frequently Asked Questions

Enjoy the mountains, it's a pretty time of the year!
    Last edited by NC Bullseye; March 18th, 2011 at 03:23 PM. Reason: spelling

VIP Member
    Currently no, but there is a bill working through the state legislature to change this. Here is a link to handgunlaw.us that may be I bit clearer. Handgunlaw.us

NC specific http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/northcarolina.pdf
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Currently no, but there is a bill working through the state legislature to change this. Here is a link to handgunlaw.us that may be I bit clearer. Handgunlaw.us

NC specific http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/northcarolina.pdf
    What are you referring to when you say "Currently no"? National parks allow carry in accordance with the state laws in which the park is located. Great Smoky Mountain Park is a National park and thus carry is allowed in parts that are located in NC. Now for any state park it's not allowed but from what I can find there is not "State" Great Smoky Mountain park.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    What are you referring to when you say "Currently no"? National parks allow carry in accordance with the state laws in which the park is located. Great Smoky Mountain Park is a National park and thus carry is allowed in parts that are located in NC. Now for any state park it's not allowed but from what I can find there is not "State" Great Smoky Mountain park.
    Oops I misread the law, thanks for the correction.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I carried there last year, and talked to one of the volunteer rangers. Who happened to be a former LE Ranger about CC in the park. She said it was a non issue for them. I usually OC when hiking, and have OC'd around Rangers on the Blue Ridge Parkway too. If it were not legal, well I think I would have been told.

The confusion started because the original park service mandate connected National Park carry to State Park carry. A court struck it down. When the legislature replaced it with an amendment, we actually got a much better law out of it.

Enjoy, it's beautiful.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    You can carry on the Tennessee side, but not the North Carolina side of the park. Just don't carry into any buildings where federal employees work while aboard the park.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Agave View Post
    You can carry on the Tennessee side, but not the North Carolina side of the park. Just don't carry into any buildings where federal employees work while aboard the park.
    This is incorrect, you can carry in the park on the NC side also. Please see the links directly from the park site above.

Yes, you can not carry in the buildings that are posted which any federal building that is off limits will be.

Double tap.

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    This is incorrect, you can carry in the park on the NC side also. Please see the links directly from the park site above.
    I stand corrected.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Double tap.
    Toooooo funny!!! Good "double tap"...

NC Bullseye, thx for answering the OP correctly by providing links to back up your answers...

I understand people trying to be helpful in answering someones question(s)...I guess what perturbs me the most is for someone to try and be helpful and provide INCORRECT information/answers. It would seem that we all should attempt to research our answers to insure correctness BEFORE giving out information. Mistakes will still be made, but it certainly will cut down on a lot of misinformation... I include myself in what I'm trying to say...I've been guilty and after getting burned by providing incorrect information, I QUICKLY LEARNED MY LESSON... I guess this will be one of those "let's flame him posts", but I'm just speakin from the heart... JMO
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Quote Originally Posted by First Sgt View Post
    Toooooo funny!!! Good "double tap"...

NC Bullseye, thx for answering the OP correctly by providing links to back up your answers...

I understand people trying to be helpful in answering someones question(s)...I guess what perturbs me the most is for someone to try and be helpful and provide INCORRECT information/answers. It would seem that we all should attempt to research our answers to insure correctness BEFORE giving out information. Mistakes will still be made, but it certainly will cut down on a lot of misinformation... I include myself in what I'm trying to say...I've been guilty and after getting burned by providing incorrect information, I QUICKLY LEARNED MY LESSON... I guess this will be one of those "let's flame him posts", but I'm just speakin from the heart... JMO
    Thanks Sarge, I sometimes let the fingers free range on the keyboard but most of the time I try to have the references to fall back on when legal issues in NC are concerned since it's expected from me in my line. I'll be the first to admit I've tanked a few but it's always a learning moment.

I fail to see where you'll encounter any flaming. It's tough to fault reason and logic most of the time. Although, it is a strange time we live in.

Yes, you can not carry in the buildings that are posted which any federal building that is off limits will be.
    And the sign is kinda hard to miss. This one from Moses Cone Manor on the Blue Ridge Parkway was about 18"x18" right at eye level. lol

I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    And the sign is kinda hard to miss. This one from Moses Cone Manor on the Blue Ridge Parkway was about 18"x18" right at eye level. lol

I thought that meant you could only fire from behind a red barrier that is leaning at a 45 degree angle.

Senior Member Array Gary Slider's Avatar
    If you can legally carry in the state the National Park is located you can carry in the National Park. No state has passed a law yet to ban carry in National Parks in their state. Maine thought about it but didn't do it. There are areas in National Parks that are off limits. This is mainly buildings owned by the government and they must be posted with signs. Federal Law states they must be posted or you can't be charged with breaking the federal law on firearms on federal property. Some National Parks are posting outside areas. Places where Park Rangers would give lectures etc. Federal Law states buildings and doesn't mention outside areas but they have posted such areas. I would not want to be the test case in this instance. The feds have a money printing press and I don't and the least they will do is bankrupt you. The signs are easy to see so stay out of posted areas and you will be fine.

As for federal laws if you go to Handgunlaw.us and click on USA at the bottom of the main page map it will take you to the USA Page that explains all this. The best thing to do at Handgunlaw.us is read the paragraph just to the right of the main page map and the FAQ's that are linked in the left column. That will tell you where to find most info on the site.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network

Links