Trying to pick a CCW handgun

This is a discussion on Trying to pick a CCW handgun within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; i just escaped the clutches of the NYPD and now im here living in Lake County FL.. I am trying to find a good CCW ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Trying to pick a CCW handgun

Trying to pick a CCW handgun

i just escaped the clutches of the NYPD and now im here living in Lake County FL..

I am trying to find a good CCW semi auto that i will also use for home defense. Atm i have no firearms and want to get at least one (more to follow)

In the NYPD i carried a Glock 19 and 26 dual carry and a sig p226 all of them DAO

i would like something a little smaller than my G19 and a capacity of at least 7+ . I plan on sticking with 9mm (unless i can be convinced 40cal is that much better) since in my exp getting shot with 9mm and 40 cal will have the same effect

i dont want something too small as i would prefer a full grip (i hate my G26)

i was looking at maybe a M&P compact or Ruger SR9C maybe a walther or springfield or Sig P239

any thoughts or suggestions would be awesome !!! btw i would like to spend around 800 dollars tops ( Sigs are pricey) but id like to get your CCW opinions and stories and what works for you guys and why

thanks

2. Remove Ads

I would suggest handling a Smith &Wesson SD9 (9mm) as it has the grip between the Sigma and M&P. When I bought mine, I was actually shopping for a Glock 19, as I used to carry the G22, 23 and 27 for duty as well as UC work. I really like the grip of the SD9 better than the Glocks.
    "Trouble Never Makes An Appointment"

Distinguished Member
    Welcome, and I'm gland you made it out alive.

I would look at a Kahr CW9 or P9, if you like thin. I really don't have to dress around my P9 as much as some other pistols.

Sounds like you need the Glock 19S, the single stack version of the 19
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Check out the new Ruger LC9 (?), the 9mm version of the LCP.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    While looking, check out the CZ 75 P-01, 9MM, 14+1 alloy frame. One of the best ergonomically designed weapons on the market and reasonably priced.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Cool

Glad you made it out of NYPD in one piece. I work with several retired NYPD officers who have taken up a second LE career in Florida. I got to tell ya the G-19 loaded with the Speer Gold Dot 124 gr. +p is one of my favorite carry guns next to my G-23. All that said i recently got a G-36 and it is finding it's way quickly into the rotation. I carry a G-21 on duty and really like the .45 ACP in this compact form . Hope you play golf because you are in a good location up in the Lady Lake area. Welcome to the forum. Enjoy your retirement.

photo.JPG photo.jpg
    G-36 with Side Guard holster and mag holder. G-36 showing grip size
    Click on photo to enlarge
    Jrod012889 likes this.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    Glad you made it out of NYPD in one piece. I work with several retired NYPD officers who have taken up a second LE career in Florida. I got to tell ya the G-19 loaded with the Speer Gold Dot 124 gr. +p is one of my favorite carry guns next to my G-23. All that said i recently got a G-36 and it is finding it's way quickly into the rotation. I carry a G-21 on duty and really like the .45 ACP in this compact form . Hope you play golf because you are in a good location up in the Lady Lake area. Welcome to the forum. Enjoy your retirement.

photo.JPG photo.jpg
    G-36 with Side Guard holster and mag holder. G-36 showing grip size
    Click on photo to enlarge
    I agree with old school on the Glock 19, thats what I carry along with the speer gold dot 124 grain ammunition.
    "When you have to shoot, Shoot! Don't talk."

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    Sounds like you need the Glock 19S, the single stack version of the 19
    i can't find that anywhere on the net... are they making this yet? the only glock slims are 45's

Cool

zacil is blowing smoke up your dress.....

photo.jpg

G-19 with High Noon holster and Big Dot sights. Still my first pick for a 9mm and after carrying one on the job you have had alot of trigger time with it..
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

yeah i carried a g19 and a g26 im trying to stay away from glocks want something totally new the ruger sr9c and m&p 9c have my eye

Cool

either one of those will work fine......... you have to get what you like. Get that NY trigger out of your G-19 and put a stock one in and you have a perfect house gun if you think it's to big to conceal carry.

photo.jpgphoto.jpg

I have a ruger sr9c and love it. Good ccw. Also an m&p9. Have it set up for the home now w/light + laser on front rail.
    LET FREEDOM REIGN NOT GOVERNMENT

If you want something for carry and home defense I would recommend a larger midsized firearm. I believe that a Sig P239 or a HK P30 are good candidates for you. They both have a full grip, are small enough to conceal, and are offered in 9mm and 40 caliber. Not to mention they are both dead sexy IMHO.

How about a Sig 250?

They can be easily adapted to different calibers, and I've seen some very good prices on them, recently.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links