A bit frustrated - Page 2

A bit frustrated

This is a discussion on A bit frustrated within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yes Sir, Slivertips & BB. Ammo Lab spoke highly of the Silvertips....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Yes Sir, Slivertips & BB. Ammo Lab spoke highly of the Silvertips.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

So after a bit of fiddling (and some practice) I have think I have come up with something that will work for the times being. I'm going to give it a go for a while and see how I like it. Instead of trying to wear the speed loader at 1-2 o'clock and using shifting the gun to to my weak hand while reloading with my strong hand I am wearing the speed loader at 7-8 o'clock and using the weak hand reload. Just with the limited amount of practice I have done today I have become fairly fast with weak hand reload. I also ordered a couple of Safariland Comp 1 loader as from what I have read they make the off hand reload a bit faster because you don't have to keep the cylinder from spinning while turning the release knob. The mag pouch doesn't seem to print nearly as bad at 7-8 o'clock as it does at 1-2 o'clock so that makes me happy.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

I'm glad youo found something that appears that it will work for you. I, personally believe that there is a significant advantage to speedloaders over speed strips.

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    I'm glad youo found something that appears that it will work for you. I, personally believe that there is a significant advantage to speedloaders over speed strips.
    Of course you do! You have reprimanded me a few times when I posted pics of speed strips with my revolvers.

And I cant argue that they are faster, but I personally feel confident with them. I guess for me, in my little world anyway, the strips are more convient, although, I do carry at least one speed loader and strip as I feel necassary fo that particular outing.

I would call it more recommend than reprimand. I fully realize the convenience of one method over another in various items, but I refuse to recommend what I consider less effective methods on that basis.

I have come to expect nothing less from you Gloves. Thats one of the reasons I now have 6 speedloaders AND my strips.

Quote Originally Posted by Chevyguy85 View Post
    I'd have to say go with speed/quick strips if speed loaders aren't working for you. As far as having the speed loaders dump your rounds in your pocket was that the HKS? Have you tried the safariland ones yet? Unless the speedloader breaks/malfunctions is pretty close to impossible to deactivate the retention device on those even if you have 2 of them in your pocket
    Safariland loaders won't dump the cartridges.

Also, you can do a full reload with a speed loader in the same time you can do a partial with a speed strip.

................. and still retain the unexpended rounds.

Send your cylinder to Cyliner & Slide to be cut for moon clips. Slightly smaller than speedloaders, do not release by themselves, quick ejection of spent shells, easy load with weak hand for speed, and better in an emergency. They can make moon clips in any configuration needed.

There is alot of good things going about magazines. Autoloaders don't have conceal problems.
    Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by jwarren View Post
    Safariland loaders won't dump the cartridges.

Also, you can do a full reload with a speed loader in the same time you can do a partial with a speed strip.
    indeed I just wanted to make sure it wasn't the safariland ones that he was using. Even though I was pretty sure he was using hks.

Rollo - Not sure why you don't want to carry two guns, but doing so solves a lot of problems. A Ruger LCP (or similar) in your off-side pocket is less bulky than a speed loader.

Can't get to your primary? Primary malfunctions (happens to revolvers too)? Run out of ammo? No problem - when you have a BUG.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Do they make half moon clips for the SP?
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    So after a bit of fiddling (and some practice) I have think I have come up with something that will work for the times being. I'm going to give it a go for a while and see how I like it. Instead of trying to wear the speed loader at 1-2 o'clock and using shifting the gun to to my weak hand while reloading with my strong hand I am wearing the speed loader at 7-8 o'clock and using the weak hand reload. Just with the limited amount of practice I have done today I have become fairly fast with weak hand reload. I also ordered a couple of Safariland Comp 1 loader as from what I have read they make the off hand reload a bit faster because you don't have to keep the cylinder from spinning while turning the release knob. The mag pouch doesn't seem to print nearly as bad at 7-8 o'clock as it does at 1-2 o'clock so that makes me happy.
    I carry my new speed loader pouch on my belt at the 7-8 position and also do the weak hand reload. With a little practice, I have had no problem with it at all. Quite fast, actually. On average, from last shot to next shot it is less than 1 second difference from a reload with my semi with both reloads being carried in the same position. I have found using Hornady Lever Revolution .357 Mag in my speed loaders to be just a little faster due to the shape of the hollowpoint nylon insert. I had several boxes of them on hand due to my .357 lever rifle. I did an experiment and found then just a little faster to hit the holes than with my Speer Gold Dots. I Carry Speers and use the levers for my reloads. I also carry 2 speed strips in my left rear pocket for secondary and tertiary reloads (hoping they would be after cover is obtained).
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Generally, I believe that the weak hand and strong hand reloads are pretty comparable. Relative to a reload of a partially expended cylinder and retaining the unexpended rounds, I think that the strong hand reload has the advantage.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links