My daughter is really glad I carry

This is a discussion on My daughter is really glad I carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Long story short... I went to Wally world around midnight last night for some "necessities" with my 20 year old Daughter. Before we headed out ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: My daughter is really glad I carry

My daughter is really glad I carry

Long story short...

I went to Wally world around midnight last night for some "necessities" with my 20 year old Daughter. Before we headed out she asked me "do you have your gun?", My reply was "of course honey, always" and off we went. When we exited the store my daughter got really scared by some guys who walked out of the store behind us. They were speaking Spanish, made some comments about her (that we both understood!) and both of us had "alarm bells" going off! I told my daughter to get in the truck and turned to give them a "look". Well they either weren't a threat or realized they had more than the standard victim to deal with because they veered off and kept walking. I loaded the groceries after they were a safe distance away and off we went safe and sound.

On the way home my daughter said "I'm really glad you had your gun papa", that's all the reason I need to carry.

The Duke
    640girl, gtv, joker1 and 3 others like this.
    "It's time to nut up or shut up" - Woody Harrelson, "Tallahassee" in "Zombieland"

2. Remove Ads

Sounds like good SA and a high caliber glare is all you needed!
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

She should be getting her CC, for when you are not around.
    Spec, TN_Mike and joker1 like this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

We are glad you carry as well, never be a victim.
    "Trouble Never Makes An Appointment"

99% of the times they are just talking Macho BS... but it still is best to be prepared just in case. Good situational awareness.

VIP Member
    I recall when I received the same comments from my daughter. The guys in my story were hackling ‘grand pa’ and ‘old dude’ while I vividly remember slinging those same exact lines back when I was young. Funny how all that works out.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Saber, they were not kids, they were grown men, they had no "exuberant youth" excuse and the remarks were directed at my daughter not me. I would have preferred them directed at me, not her given what they were saying.

Thanks everyone for the "good SA" comments, I appreciate them especially comming from my peers here on the forum!

I have to say though that in retrospect I made a major mistake during this situation, I allowed them to get way too close before I let them know I was aware of their approach and wasn't going to allow myself to be a victim. I just got a cold chill down my spine thinking about how close they were when I gave them my "don't mess with me" stare. They were within I'd say 15ft of us when I turned, gave them "the look" and they decided to "veer off". Based on what I have learned reading Massad Ayoob's books, anything inside 20ft is in the "red" zone in terms of how fast they could have been "on" me.

It's really frightening now that I look back on that simple situation/non-situation good result and all. It could have gone horribly wrong in a hurry! I was very lucky that night and posting the experience on the forum definitely has gotten me thinking about "should have/could have", etc.

Bottom line, happy ending for ALL involved, myself, my daughter and those men. I'm extremely grateful nothing happened and that we all exited the scene unharmed.

Thanks again everyone, The Duke
    "It's time to nut up or shut up" - Woody Harrelson, "Tallahassee" in "Zombieland"

BTW...I am out at the range working with her on shooting, handgun handling and firearms safety so she will be prepared to get her permit.
    640girl, Spec, joker1 and 1 others like this.

awesome !!!

Very good SA! I am originally from the other side of the mountains from the OP ( born and raised in NC) and I know what a glare from a "Good Ole Boy" can do to tough guy wanta be"s
    William Wallace
    Do not stand between Me and Mine!!

Well you stated that both you and your daughter understood what they were saying so I am assuming you speak spanish. It's seldom a good idea to engage these types in conversation, but I bet it was tempting to say something to them in spanish just to let them know they weren't as smart as they thought they were.

I suppose you could have told your daughter to ignore the jerks, and get in the truck in spanish. That way your letting them know you understand them, and your not directly confronting them which could be considered escalation,

This reminds me of the first time my daughter asked if I had my gun with me. I had only had my permit for a little while and did not carry all the time. We went to Best Buy in Saginaw Michigan. It seems like more than half the time we go there, there is a police car parked out front. Apparently they have an awful lot of shop lifters.
    As we were walking in to the store my 28 year old daughter asked if I had my gun. I told he yes I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    She should be getting her CC, for when you are not around.
    Agreed. My daughter is just 16 years old and has told me on several occasions that she will be very happy when she is old enough to get her own carry permit. She already knows what I'm getting her for her 21st birthday. I'm paying for her permit (and God willing we will be in Tennessee and I will also pay for her permit training class).

yes, they got too close but, live and learn. I doubt you will allow this to be repeated. And Good for you and your daughter for the level of Sa you both showed and that you are now working with her on shooting.
    Last edited by TN_Mike; March 21st, 2011 at 05:19 PM. Reason: additional info
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by DukeShooter View Post
    Saber, they were not kids, they were grown men, they had no "exuberant youth" excuse and the remarks were directed at my daughter not me. I would have preferred them directed at me, not her given what they were saying.

Thanks everyone for the "good SA" comments, I appreciate them especially comming from my peers here on the forum!

I have to say though that in retrospect I made a major mistake during this situation, I allowed them to get way too close before I let them know I was aware of their approach and wasn't going to allow myself to be a victim. I just got a cold chill down my spine thinking about how close they were when I gave them my "don't mess with me" stare. They were within I'd say 15ft of us when I turned, gave them "the look" and they decided to "veer off". Based on what I have learned reading Massad Ayoob's books, anything inside 20ft is in the "red" zone in terms of how fast they could have been "on" me.

It's really frightening now that I look back on that simple situation/non-situation good result and all. It could have gone horribly wrong in a hurry! I was very lucky that night and posting the experience on the forum definitely has gotten me thinking about "should have/could have", etc.

Bottom line, happy ending for ALL involved, myself, my daughter and those men. I'm extremely grateful nothing happened and that we all exited the scene unharmed.

Thanks again everyone, The Duke
    It was a mistake. You will not do that again. You are so right about them being to close. Im glad it worked out..
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    If you don't mine me asking, what did they say to her?
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links