Cracker Barrel Alert (LONG) - Page 5

Cracker Barrel Alert (LONG)

This is a discussion on Cracker Barrel Alert (LONG) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by orangevol Then why do cops and military personnel carry openly, not concealed? Because it gives concealed carry a tactacal advantage. Military and ...

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Cracker Barrel Alert (LONG)

Quote Originally Posted by orangevol View Post
    Then why do cops and military personnel carry openly, not concealed?
    Because it gives concealed carry a tactacal advantage. Military and cops do not always open carry.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

My understanding of the Cracker Barrel policy is that it extends NOT ONLY to firearms lawfully open-carried by citizens, but ALSO to firearms lawfully open-carried by members of law enforcement. At least they're being fair, in that regard.

I'm sending my letter off tomorrow morning. I'm making my annual trip to southern VA this weekend, and while I generally carry concealed (due to the company I'm keeping ), sometimes it's warm in those restaurants, and I like to be able to take off my jacket. Now I can't.
    Last edited by Riana; March 22nd, 2011 at 02:03 AM. Reason: Smilie fail, and I can't spell.

It is not going to pertain to LEO's, it just aint gonna happen. But I have to ask, why is a OC thread in a CC area? I CC and actually never OC, so it only pertains to if you are OCing at CB. Don't go if you don't want to, but I have never had a proble with CB in any way shape or form.
    "Trouble Never Makes An Appointment"

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    I too am interested in CB's official response back. Although a reminder folks...if we aren't careful with those OC vs CC arguments a mod is probably going to whack the thread eventually...which would be a real shame if it happened before we hear back from CB...
    Debate all ya want, that part of the rules were removed some time ago because it was a one sided restriction....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    Walmart is another example: they allow concealed carry right now, but not OC.
    Someone is lying to you. I've played this one out with my local Walmart. I was told I was welcome to OC anytime I was there by the LP Mgr. Corporate policy is to follow state law. If it's legal, it's OK. The only restriction for carrying at Walmart is for employees.

And if you have not written a letter to the bank, you need to.

Which other rights should we be more careful with?
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Open carry is an option, can anyone here say they can draw faster from concealed than open? Secondly it is more comfortable in warmer states, and some people have medical conditions that make them extremely heat intolerant, so the extra layers needed often to CC are just not medically safe. Throw in that it can be a way to open peoples eyes, and show that more then just bad guys and LEOs carry firearms. Not everyone is in perfect health, or has all their limbs and drawing from concealment is next to impossible, or concealing is very difficult.

So this one size fits all of OC is not good is someone that hasn't had to deal with these issues, or know others that do.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

I will treat all Cracker Barrels like I do Wally World; as I won't frequent their establishment(s)~!

Administrator
    Now, I'm annoyed at grammar Nazi's as much as the next guy, but when sending off a letter to represent millions of fellow gun owners, I think one needs to be extra careful with grammar and spelling. Anyway, here are a few mistakes that jumped out at me right away. I could have sworn there were more last light.

Tonight the wife and I went to Cracker Barrel in Richmond for dinner. After being served a manager approached and informed me Cracker Barrel policy on guns has been changed and they are now prohibited in their stores. This policy is for all legal carry, whether concealed or open carried. I just sent the following e-mail and will await their reply to it. I will post their reply when I receive it.

I am writing in reference to an apparent change to Cracker Barrel policy on the carrying of firearms in your stores.

I have frequented your restaurants for close to 10 years and it has always been the policy, as far as I know, that Cracker Barrel followed the laws of the state they were located in as to the carrying of firearms.

Tonight, March 20, my wife and I went to Store #592 in Richmond Virginia. We have eaten at this location on an average of 2 to 3 times a month since it opened. I have always carried a firearm there. Tonight I was informed by management that I would have to leave my gun in my car, since corporate offices had sent out a e-mail changing their policy and guns were no longer allowed in the stores. Since our meals had just been brought to the table I complied with the policy and removed my gun. When I re-entered the store I double checked to see if there was a sign posting the store as off limits for carrying. There was no sign posted.

I respect your right to set policy in your stores, but I feel that as a law abiding citizen your restriction places me in an unsafe position. While the inside of your stores may a safe environment, the parking lot is not. Your policy places me in a dangerous situation entering and exiting your stores. It also forces me to leave a gun inside a vehicle, unattended.

Law carriers of guns have passed background checks to receive a carry permit, as well as the training and expense associated with it. We will obey the policies you place on us. The criminal has not gone through any form of background check, no training, and will not follow your policy. Their very choice of being a criminal means they feel they are above the law and your policies.

Unless your policy is reversed I will no longer frequent Cracker Barrel. There are many other resturants that do not restrict my Second Amendment rights. I am also a member of a forum which numbers in excess of 44,000 members, who support the right to carry. I will post your reply to this forum. The vast majority of the members feel the same as I do. That if our lawful carry is not permitted, then we will not spend our hard earned money in your stores.

Again, I ask that you reconsider this ill conceived policy and reverse it.
    "Just blame Sixto"

It is true. Several VCDL /OCDO members who attended an "open Carry" breakfast at a Cracker Barrel where they had been welcomed in the past were asked to disarm or leave. They left and won't go back.

Quote Originally Posted by TerriLi View Post
    Open carry is an option, can anyone here say they can draw faster from concealed than open? Secondly it is more comfortable in warmer states, and some people have medical conditions that make them extremely heat intolerant, so the extra layers needed often to CC are just not medically safe. Throw in that it can be a way to open peoples eyes, and show that more then just bad guys and LEOs carry firearms. Not everyone is in perfect health, or has all their limbs and drawing from concealment is next to impossible, or concealing is very difficult.

So this one size fits all of OC is not good is someone that hasn't had to deal with these issues, or know others that do.
    I carry strong side in a belt slide holster whether I OC (in the woods or after I have removed my cover garment in cooler months) or CC. The only difference is whether the shirt goes under the gun or over the gun. I can't seem to find a medical reason for one to not be able to untuck their shirt. I don't think Florida is any hotter than Texas, a loose fitting cotton blend shirt is about a cool as your going to get for those who are heat intolerant.

For those that OC to make a point or to expand peoples views that not just bad guys carry guns, do you carry long guns around to prove that point as well? Somewhere there is a thread about the guy carrying his AR (I think) rifle with it slung over his shoulder going to the local shop. Not too many here thought much of him making his point. I fail to see the difference between the two when doing it for educational purposes.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

3D
    Simple fix here.

If I want to eat at a CB *AND* carry my gun I'll ConcealCarry.
    "It is easier to resist at the beginning than at the end"____Leonardo da Vinci 1452-1519

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    I carried in a Cracker Barrel in MD a couple days ago, no sign, also nobody seemed to notice. If no sign, I'll carry until asked to leave, they have to first identify that I have a weapon with me.
    Open carry in MD? Dont think thats legal, unless on-duty LEO, then of course they wont say anything.

We just went to a Cracker Barrel here n Florida.
    I always carry concealed and I have not seen any signs or other indication that I was not supposed to carry. After all, IT IS CONCEALED!
    Never had a problem. (We don’t have open carry here in Florida . . . yet.)
    "We have met the enemy, and it is us." Pogo Possum

I'm glad that someone already mentioned that Walmart's official corporate policy is to follow the carry laws of the state the store is in, whether it is in regards to CC or OC.

That being said, I've OC'ed in the Cracker Barrel in Martinsburg, WV a ton of times. I never had a problem or comment from the staff. I've been there with half a dozen other guys all OCing at the same time. I'm looking forward to hearing the corporate response.

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Interesting thread. I have ate at Cracker Barrel twice in my life so far. I have found nothing there that I can not get at a good ol fashioned Mom and Pop eatery and for a lessor cost. There are other choices and I always feel the need to support the little man. I am glad I stumbled on to this post. It reenforces my theories of national and international corporations. I have a stack of the no guns ~ no money cards. I pass them out frequently. I am gld to tell them they would rather serve a (potential) crook than a person who's identity and right to carry a firearm has been verified.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Sponsored Links