Cracker Barrel Alert (LONG)

This is a discussion on Cracker Barrel Alert (LONG) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The former Cheif Operating Officer is a customer in the gun shop where I work. He is very gun friendly and still has some say ...

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Cracker Barrel Alert (LONG)

The former Cheif Operating Officer is a customer in the gun shop where I work. He is very gun friendly and still has some say as to policy> I will ask him the next time he is in the store. I'll be willing to bet that it is a regional or district policy not a corprate policy.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Now, I'm annoyed at grammar Nazi's as much as the next guy, but when sending off a letter to represent millions of fellow gun owners, I think one needs to be extra careful with grammar and spelling. Anyway, here are a few mistakes that jumped out at me right away. I could have sworn there were more last light.

Tonight the wife and I went to Cracker Barrel in Richmond for dinner. After being served a manager approached and informed me Cracker Barrel policy on guns has been changed and they are now prohibited in their stores. This policy is for all legal carry, whether concealed or open carried. I just sent the following e-mail and will await their reply to it. I will post their reply when I receive it.

I am writing in reference to an apparent change to Cracker Barrel policy on the carrying of firearms in your stores.

I have frequented your restaurants for close to 10 years and it has always been the policy, as far as I know, that Cracker Barrel followed the laws of the state they were located in as to the carrying of firearms.

Tonight, March 20, my wife and I went to Store #592 in Richmond Virginia. We have eaten at this location on an average of 2 to 3 times a month since it opened. I have always carried a firearm there. Tonight I was informed by management that I would have to leave my gun in my car, since corporate offices had sent out a e-mail changing their policy and guns were no longer allowed in the stores. Since our meals had just been brought to the table I complied with the policy and removed my gun. When I re-entered the store I double checked to see if there was a sign posting the store as off limits for carrying. There was no sign posted.

I respect your right to set policy in your stores, but I feel that as a law abiding citizen your restriction places me in an unsafe position. While the inside of your stores may (be) a safe environment, the parking lot is not. Your policy places me in a dangerous situation entering and exiting your stores. It also forces me to leave a gun inside a vehicle, unattended.

Law carriers of guns have passed background checks to receive a carry permit, as well as the training and expense associated with it. We will obey the policies you place on us. The criminal has not gone through any form of background check, no training, and will not follow your policy. Their very choice of being a criminal means they feel they are above the law and your policies.

Unless your policy is reversed I will no longer frequent Cracker Barrel. There are many other resturants that do not restrict my Second Amendment rights. I am also a member of a forum which numbers in excess of 44,000 members, who support the right to carry. I will post your reply to this forum. The vast majority of the members feel the same as I do. That if our lawful carry is not permitted, then we will not spend our hard earned money in your stores.

Again, I ask that you reconsider this ill conceived policy and reverse it.
    You missed one....sorry I couldn't resist. :)

I'm wondering if the manager said this because of concerns from other customers. I never been to Cracker Barrel, but it seems as if the OP goes there often enough and it is quite likely that others there eating felt uncomfortable seeing a firearm out (if that was the case). As a manager myself, it is a tough position to be in to please a few other people at the risk of losing one because you really do not want to make anyone upset. I wonder what the response would have been from the OP if the manager would have explained the situation and maybe asked to just conceal the firearm (if that was the case). I honestly believe that the manager just handled that situation wrong and it may not be the company as a whole so much as that particular place.

Just another angle to look at.

Even if it is an isolated incident, just that store, the manager made it a corporate matter by telling the OP that it was corporate policy.

How many other posts of members being tossed from a retail establishment because of "Corporate Policy" have written letters, and received a response of "We comply with state and federal law, and you are welcome in our establishment, we will be notifying the manager of the store and clarifying this policy with them."
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by digitalexplr View Post
    Until they start posting their stores there is no enforceable policy.
    Maybe so, but if the manager asks us to leave or place it in your vehicle, we must comply whichever way we want. If we don't, we're criminal tresspassing.

I just called 2 of my local CBs and both store managers confirmed that the corporate policy has indeed changed. Now they also said "we don't make a big deal out of it b/c we don't see it." When I said I usually OC, they said that in those cases, they ask that it be taken to the car or something.
    "Sir, could you please not bleed so much? I have to clean the store after they haul you off and I'd like the rest of my shift, to be, like, you know, better."

mel
    I guess the cost of doing business is going to go up at Cracker Barrel. I am a firm believer that if you don't want to respect my rights, I won't respect your profit margins. By the way, Bob Evans is a fantastic place for breakfast.

Quote Originally Posted by mel View Post
    I guess the cost of doing business is going to go up at Cracker Barrel....
    My guess is Cracker Barrel will never miss you or me. The two reasons I never go there are: Gravy's too thick and line's too long. I can put my shirt tail over my damn gun.

In Ohio we can't carry in restaurants that serve alcohol (yet).

Guess it will be Bob Evans from now on.

Alcohol in Cracker Barrel? Only if you take your own!!
    No signs at our local Cracker Barrel, wouldn't stop me if they did as it is not an offense to carry in a posted establishment in KY.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnLeVick View Post
    Well, I'm not worried about it for two reasons: First, our local CB is not posted. Second, I only went once and left because it was too crowded, and I never go there now, since I'm really too young; I'm only 56.

And besides, the food is mediocre, if one happens to know what good food is.
    Couldn't agree more!!!!

I open carried in the Concord, NC just yesterday morning. No Signs and no issues.
    NRA Endowment Member
    USCCA Member
    Certified Glock Armorer
    Patriot Guard Rider

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Links