New Jersey and Firearm Purchase

This is a discussion on New Jersey and Firearm Purchase within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My son lives in South Jersey and is currently waiting for his license to purchase. I am curious since NJ rarely issues a carry permit ...

Thread: New Jersey and Firearm Purchase

My son lives in South Jersey and is currently waiting for his license to purchase. I am curious since NJ rarely issues a carry permit can he use the firearms card to get a PA non resident?

The short answer is "no." The reason is that you must have a carry permit from the state you live in to get a PA carry permit, unless the state you live in does not issue permits. In the case of NJ, while the state does not for all practical purposes issue carry permits, it technically provides for them in the law so PA says "get a NJ one and then we will issue our non-resident one." Catch-22. However, he could get a FL permit which is valid in PA but not NJ.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SCfromNY View Post
    My son lives in South Jersey and is currently waiting for his license to purchase. I am curious since NJ rarely issues a carry permit can he use the firearms card to get a PA non resident?
    Short answer - NO

First - You MUST have a Carry License from another state to carry a firearm under the reciprocity rules in PA as a non-resident.
    Crime: Protecting Pennsylvania Against Crime - Pennsylvania Office of Attorney General

Second - To obtain a Non-resident PA LTCF YOU MUST have a carry permit /license issued by another state.

Non-Resident Carry Permits in Pennsylvania

-------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Quote Originally Posted by gmark340 View Post
    The short answer is "no." The reason is that you must have a carry permit from the state you live in to get a PA carry permit, unless the state you live in does not issue permits. In the case of NJ, while the state does not for all practical purposes issue carry permits, it technically provides for them in the law so PA says "get a NJ one and then we will issue our non-resident one." Catch-22. However, he could get a FL permit which is valid in PA but not NJ.
    I live in NJ and got a FL permit since I didn't qualify for a PA non-resident (for reasons already stated).

I live across the river from the comunist state of confusion called New Jersey. God forbid I make a wrong turn and end up going over the border. I think it may be easier to obtain a CCW card form Kalifornia than it is to buy a firearm in NJ.
    US ARMY Veteran 1965-1967 Vietnam 1966-1967
    WELCOME HOME TO ALL WHO SERVED, AND FOR THOSE STILL SERVING,
    A BIG THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE. FOR THOSE OF YOU DOWN RANGE
    WATCH YOUR 6, AND KEEP YOUR HEAD DOWN.
    A PATRIOT BELIEVES IN IT....A VETERAN LIVED IT

Get an AZ permit....it's cheaper than FL...just as easy to get...and gives almost identical reciprocity

Quote Originally Posted by vietnamvet66 View Post
    I live across the river from the comunist state of confusion called New Jersey. God forbid I make a wrong turn and end up going over the border. I think it may be easier to obtain a CCW card form Kalifornia than it is to buy a firearm in NJ.
    I know some people with CA permits, I know no-one with a NJ.

Sponsored Links