Defensive Carry banner

Macomb County Forcing Applicants to get $15 CPL Photos at Clerks Office

5K views 21 replies 18 participants last post by  Pioneer 
#1 ·
Hello,
I was hoping to get your opinion on CPL Photos. I thought according to Michigan Law you could get your CPL photo taken wherever you want (Walgreens, Costco, CVS, etc) and bring them to the clerks office. However Macomb is rejecting photos applicants have already paid for and making them take the photos there for $15. They purchased a new system which cost $8000 ($6000) a year.

Detroit Free Press: Macomb County to streamline making of concealed pistol licenses

Michigan state law says applicants can provide the photo to the
clerks office.

Michigan Legislature - Section 28.425b

"(i) A passport-quality photograph of the applicant provided by the
applicant at the time of application."
Also the CPL Michigan State Application states multiple times the
applicant can provide the photo (located on Macomb's Homepage
Macomb County Michigan Clerk's Office Concealed Weapon Licensing)

"Return the completed unsigned form, a passport-quality photograph,
and documentation of required training to the county clerk’s office.
AUTHORITY: 1927"

So my question is can they make you take the photo there? This is causing a big problem for applicants who already have phots and CPL instructors who chave already charged for photos. Applicants are demanding refunds.

Let me know what you think. Thanks so much.

See less See more
#2 ·
Wow, that stinks. When I got my FL permit, I applied in person at one of their regional offices. They took the pic as part of the process, no extra charge. I would talk with your MI state rep and get him to look into this.

After you pay at the clerk's office, are they providing reciepts? Sounds like a scam.

#3 ·
It isn't the instructors fault, so they aren't obligated to refund any money to the students.

Sounds like the local county office needs to be set straight on what the laws are. I supposed that if you knew a local attorney and had them call the office you might get a quick response on the matter, or if one of the applicants threatened a lawsuit over their refusal of photos that might get some action.

#4 ·
Its the new cards that a lot of the county's are using now. Everything is done right on the computer. The cards are much nicer now.. They will not refund the monies. The Instructors should know whats going on. I would go back to them for a refund.

#5 ·
When I got my Michigan CPL, the gun store we shot our qualification at took the photo for us. I think they charged $10.
The price is a little high but obviously the bigger problem is that many people have already paid to have the picture taken somewhere else, and Macomb county is not accepting these. I have heard that Macomb is not CPL friendly. Someone said that the DA down there refuses to allow the carry of a BUG. He says the CPL is only good for a single pistol because its not a Concealed Pistol(S) License. I think you people need to get organized and find a pro-gun candidate and run this guy out on a rail.

#7 ·
Lets see, the instructor provides a service. The student decides to pay the instructor for photos, get the photos that he pays for. Then the county refuses the photos, and the instructor should loose money or offer a refund? :confused:

I have students who took my course back in August when Texas still allowed paper fingerprints, some of them still haven't mailed in their packets to the state. I did the prints during the class, March 1, Texas no longer accepts paper prints, they must be done at an L1 location digitally.

Anyone care to guess if I am going to pay the 9.95 for the students to get their prints done at the L1 location, or refund that portion of my class fee?

Do I do paper prints now, nope. But the fact the state changed their procedures, in this case a particular county in the state of MI has changed their procedures is not the fault of the instructor who did the course and offered photos for those who wanted them. Should the instructor let the students know that if they are applying in Macomb county they don't need photos during their class, certainly if they are aware of this recent change.

I find it hard to grasp how folks think the instructor should pay for the county changing its policy.

#13 ·
Do I do paper prints now, nope. But the fact the state changed their procedures, in this case a particular county in the state of MI has changed their procedures is not the fault of the instructor who did the course and offered photos for those who wanted them. Should the instructor let the students know that if they are applying in Macomb county they don't need photos during their class, certainly if they are aware of this recent change.

I find it hard to grasp how folks think the instructor should pay for the county changing its policy.
I agree it's not the instructors fault, and most likley he didn't know that Macomb county was going to do this. The problem is Macomb county is not following the letter of the law.

Michigan Legislature - Section 28.425b

"(i) A passport-quality photograph of the applicant provided by the
applicant
at the time of application."
Also the CPL Michigan State Application states multiple times the
applicant can provide the photo (located on Macomb's Homepage
Macomb County Michigan Clerk's Office Concealed Weapon Licensing)

"Return the completed unsigned form, a passport-quality photograph,
and documentation of required training to the county clerk’s office.
AUTHORITY: 1927"

The Macomb DA is very anti-CPL and just trying to make it difficult as possible, plus they want to charge for their photo service.

#10 ·
Why the big fuss? They have streamlined the process, and it takes awhile for the info to get out to all. In IA some counties still do a paper permit, but most counties issue a plastic card with picture and charge an additional $10 for it. New equipment cost money, and I have no problem paying for better service.

#14 ·
The only requirement is that it be passport quality. This means it must be on paper that holds the ink well and is durable.

Mine is a two years old , and not from Macomb County, but they actually just glue sticked the picture to the card at the clerks office. I took it upon myself to have it laminated so I would't have to worry about the picture coming off in my wallet.

Do I think they need a better system to have the picture actually part of the card? Sure
Was I glad to get the card the same day I submitted the paper work instead of having to wait 6 weeks to have it mailed to me? Yes.

#12 ·
I'd say it's time to take the issue to the Atty Generals' office in your state.

Our law is the same, and our Atty Gen has had no problem with getting onto Sheriff's , etc. who wanted to charge more, require this or that, and that is not what the laws stated. Your Atty Gen is supposed to help make sure they are following and understand the statutes, and can file charges agasint them if they violate them.

Our Legislature got smart and put in revisions which included.... NO SHERIFF may charge ANYONE for anything other than $ XX (I belive it was $25) for handling paperwork, and that anything else would be a violation of the statutes.

#15 ·
I took, and printed, my own picture for my Wayne County issued CPL. Didn't have any issues there and in looking at the requirements posted here, Macomb County needs to read the same rules. If they do want to continue this practice, they could at least let people (instructors specifically) know so they're not having people pay 2x for the photos.

#16 ·
Sherriff Hackel, used to run it, and it seemed to go alright.
Only downer was you still had to go before the "gun board" even though they knew they were either going to issue yours to you or deny it.
Now he ran for election for the County's first ever Co. Executive, and won.
I have no Idea who is sheriff, or the Da, but they need to be reigned-in.
Mine from St. Clair Co. and they accepted the Pics taken from the class, and the clerks office seemed real happy, like they had no qualms about CPL permits.
Mailed it right to the house.

Why is it when we talk to God we are praying, but when God talks to us we are put into the loony bin?

#21 ·
Be cautious of what you read. The media wants your attention. and will mislead you to get it.
What they are actually doing is getting you to enter your application on line so the clerks office does not have to when you bring your application in. They spend a lot of time transferring the app. from your form to the computer. Then proof reading for mistakes.
You still must appear to apply for the CPL with photo and safety class certificate ect.ect. And in many counties you must then travel to the Sheriff's department for finger printing.
At least in my county the Sheriff's department sent the prints to the clerks office for the license. I did not need to make another trip.
I believe Macomb county is trying to streamline the process and lower there cost, due to the increase number of applicants.

Weather a government entity can succeed at it is up for debate.

#20 ·
Tennessee has a very streamlined process. Everything but fingerprints are done at Drivers License station. The fingerprints are done on a state form digitally and this starts your background check. I had my fingerprints done at the board of education by a resource officer (Sheriff's deputy) since Tennessee requires fingerprints on all teachers and they had a machine that wasn't busy at that moment. The instructor issues a certificate of class completion. you take that, your birth certificate and the fingerprint receipt (actually acknowledgement as the fingerprinting is actually part of your HCL fee) to the DL station, They take picture and finish application ( already completed from online downloaded form.) As state issues license it wouldn't really make any sense to have somebody else take picture (and charge you for it.) The license is laminated, just like DL, and is very sturdy. You can get a duplicate right there and then for an additional $5.00. Your ID number on HCP is your Tennessee DL number.

#22 ·
So my question is can they make you take the photo there? This is causing a big problem for applicants who already have phots and CPL instructors who chave already charged for photos. Applicants are demanding refunds.
Ask the county. Is there a chance the county passed an ordinance to make it so, or does Michigan have a preemption law? Fifteen Obama-bux is a bit high for a digital photograph. Maybe the county is broke and needs the money. :rolleyes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.