Macomb County Forcing Applicants to get $15 CPL Photos at Clerks Office

This is a discussion on Macomb County Forcing Applicants to get $15 CPL Photos at Clerks Office within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello, I was hoping to get your opinion on CPL Photos. I thought according to Michigan Law you could get your CPL photo taken wherever ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Macomb County Forcing Applicants to get $15 CPL Photos at Clerks Office

Hello,
    I was hoping to get your opinion on CPL Photos. I thought according to Michigan Law you could get your CPL photo taken wherever you want (Walgreens, Costco, CVS, etc) and bring them to the clerks office. However Macomb is rejecting photos applicants have already paid for and making them take the photos there for $15. They purchased a new system which cost $8000 ($6000) a year.

Detroit Free Press: Macomb County to streamline making of concealed pistol licenses

Michigan state law says applicants can provide the photo to the
    clerks office.

Michigan Legislature - Section 28.425b

"(i) A passport-quality photograph of the applicant provided by the
    applicant at the time of application."

Also the CPL Michigan State Application states multiple times the
    applicant can provide the photo (located on Macomb's Homepage
    Macomb County Michigan Clerk's Office Concealed Weapon Licensing)

"Return the completed unsigned form, a passport-quality photograph,
    and documentation of required training to the county clerk’s office.
    AUTHORITY: 1927"

So my question is can they make you take the photo there? This is causing a big problem for applicants who already have phots and CPL instructors who chave already charged for photos. Applicants are demanding refunds.

Let me know what you think. Thanks so much.

VIP Member
    Wow, that stinks. When I got my FL permit, I applied in person at one of their regional offices. They took the pic as part of the process, no extra charge. I would talk with your MI state rep and get him to look into this.

After you pay at the clerk's office, are they providing reciepts? Sounds like a scam.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

It isn't the instructors fault, so they aren't obligated to refund any money to the students.

Sounds like the local county office needs to be set straight on what the laws are. I supposed that if you knew a local attorney and had them call the office you might get a quick response on the matter, or if one of the applicants threatened a lawsuit over their refusal of photos that might get some action.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Its the new cards that a lot of the county's are using now. Everything is done right on the computer. The cards are much nicer now.. They will not refund the monies. The Instructors should know whats going on. I would go back to them for a refund.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

When I got my Michigan CPL, the gun store we shot our qualification at took the photo for us. I think they charged $10.
    The price is a little high but obviously the bigger problem is that many people have already paid to have the picture taken somewhere else, and Macomb county is not accepting these. I have heard that Macomb is not CPL friendly. Someone said that the DA down there refuses to allow the carry of a BUG. He says the CPL is only good for a single pistol because its not a Concealed Pistol(S) License. I think you people need to get organized and find a pro-gun candidate and run this guy out on a rail.

It's all about $$$ ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Lets see, the instructor provides a service. The student decides to pay the instructor for photos, get the photos that he pays for. Then the county refuses the photos, and the instructor should loose money or offer a refund?

I have students who took my course back in August when Texas still allowed paper fingerprints, some of them still haven't mailed in their packets to the state. I did the prints during the class, March 1, Texas no longer accepts paper prints, they must be done at an L1 location digitally.

Anyone care to guess if I am going to pay the 9.95 for the students to get their prints done at the L1 location, or refund that portion of my class fee?

Do I do paper prints now, nope. But the fact the state changed their procedures, in this case a particular county in the state of MI has changed their procedures is not the fault of the instructor who did the course and offered photos for those who wanted them. Should the instructor let the students know that if they are applying in Macomb county they don't need photos during their class, certainly if they are aware of this recent change.

I find it hard to grasp how folks think the instructor should pay for the county changing its policy.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Pose your question to the MI state Att. General.
    oneshot likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

I would shoot off an E-mail to MCRGO. And other than that an Attorney.
    oneshot likes this.
    LET FREEDOM REIGN NOT GOVERNMENT

Why the big fuss? They have streamlined the process, and it takes awhile for the info to get out to all. In IA some counties still do a paper permit, but most counties issue a plastic card with picture and charge an additional $10 for it. New equipment cost money, and I have no problem paying for better service.

You didn't mention it, but the answer might be in the new system. Some permits use a special holographic photo technique that makes counterfeiting more difficult. You can't just have the photos taken anywhere.

I'd say it's time to take the issue to the Atty Generals' office in your state.

Our law is the same, and our Atty Gen has had no problem with getting onto Sheriff's , etc. who wanted to charge more, require this or that, and that is not what the laws stated. Your Atty Gen is supposed to help make sure they are following and understand the statutes, and can file charges agasint them if they violate them.

Our Legislature got smart and put in revisions which included.... NO SHERIFF may charge ANYONE for anything other than $ XX (I belive it was $25) for handling paperwork, and that anything else would be a violation of the statutes.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post

Do I do paper prints now, nope. But the fact the state changed their procedures, in this case a particular county in the state of MI has changed their procedures is not the fault of the instructor who did the course and offered photos for those who wanted them. Should the instructor let the students know that if they are applying in Macomb county they don't need photos during their class, certainly if they are aware of this recent change.

I find it hard to grasp how folks think the instructor should pay for the county changing its policy.
    I agree it's not the instructors fault, and most likley he didn't know that Macomb county was going to do this. The problem is Macomb county is not following the letter of the law.

Michigan Legislature - Section 28.425b

"(i) A passport-quality photograph of the applicant provided by the
    applicant
    at the time of application."
    Also the CPL Michigan State Application states multiple times the
    applicant can provide the photo (located on Macomb's Homepage
    Macomb County Michigan Clerk's Office Concealed Weapon Licensing)

"Return the completed unsigned form, a passport-quality photograph,
    and documentation of required training to the county clerk’s office.
    AUTHORITY: 1927"

The Macomb DA is very anti-CPL and just trying to make it difficult as possible, plus they want to charge for their photo service.

Quote Originally Posted by RockBottom View Post
    You didn't mention it, but the answer might be in the new system. Some permits use a special holographic photo technique that makes counterfeiting more difficult. You can't just have the photos taken anywhere.
    The only requirement is that it be passport quality. This means it must be on paper that holds the ink well and is durable.

Mine is a two years old , and not from Macomb County, but they actually just glue sticked the picture to the card at the clerks office. I took it upon myself to have it laminated so I would't have to worry about the picture coming off in my wallet.

Do I think they need a better system to have the picture actually part of the card? Sure
    Was I glad to get the card the same day I submitted the paper work instead of having to wait 6 weeks to have it mailed to me? Yes.

I took, and printed, my own picture for my Wayne County issued CPL. Didn't have any issues there and in looking at the requirements posted here, Macomb County needs to read the same rules. If they do want to continue this practice, they could at least let people (instructors specifically) know so they're not having people pay 2x for the photos.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links