Hospital Carry Frustration

This is a discussion on Hospital Carry Frustration within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm taking my wife to have surgery today. The hospital is a larger hospital in a larger city an hour away. It is posted "No ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Hospital Carry Frustration

Hospital Carry Frustration

I'm taking my wife to have surgery today. The hospital is a larger hospital in a larger city an hour away. It is posted "No Weapons". Now, in this larger crime infested city with major drug problems, I can't imagine why a person would feel the need to be able to defend themselves in a massive building full of drugs in the middle of town. The blue signs with the H on them must be magic or something.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

2. Remove Ads

Yes, it does indeed be frustrating because places choose to ban legal concealed carry. It's just a fact of life we have no control over.

Just be careful out there.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

I think you will find that most hospitals are posted. In South Carolina, they don't even have to be. Concealed carry is prohibited in any facility "where medical procedures are performed". You can carry if you get permission from the person responsible for the facility, but how easy is that likely to be? This pretty well eliminates not only hospitals, but doctor's offices, dentists, veterinarians, etc. I'm not sure about chiropractors and optometrists.
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

At the hospital I work at you could carry and no one would ever notice. Plus they don't even have the right sign posted(not sure they have to or not) But I'll never be able to carry there because they will fire you.

Hospitals are not posted or restricted in DE.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    In FL, one can carry in hospitals only where authorized by law. I have a CWFL, can carry concealed by law, and hospitals are not on the list of prohibited areas for CC'ing, I read it as I can carry CC. Psychiatric hospitals are another story. I rarely visit a hospital, but I don't recall seeing any "no guns" signs.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

What's even worse is that while I waited during my wife's total knee replacement surgery yesterday, I coudn't log on here...

I had the foresight to bring my laptop, but was unable to log on to DC because the hospital's firewall blocked entry to the site on the basis that (paraphrasing) "the safety of those in the hospital setting this site was blocked due to "weapons!""

So, I watched an episode of 24 thru Netflix, no weapons there!

Stupid policy.
    All that said....
    It could be worse.

Here in NY State there is no restriction on carrying in a hospital. I was able to carry in Buffalo and Jamestown when my mother was ill.

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    Our hospitals have the same ignorant firewalls!
    NRA Life Member

Hospitals in Montana can post all they want, they are not a restricted place of carry and at most I can only be asked to leave if asked should someone see where its concealed.
    "Trouble Never Makes An Appointment"

Quote Originally Posted by JBinMont View Post
    Hospitals in Montana can post all they want, they are not a restricted place of carry and at most I can only be asked to leave if asked should someone see where its concealed.
    Utah is the same way.

VIP Member
    Bug Dude, as I'm sure you are probably aware, VCU/MCV is the only hospital prohibited for carry by the statutes.

8VAC90-10-50. The right to academic freedom and to equal educational and occupational access.

The university is committed to providing an environment conducive to academic freedom, free inquiry, and equal access to educational and occupational opportunities. The principle of academic freedom requires all persons to respect another's dignity, to acknowledge another's right to express differing opinions, to cultivate and to cherish intellectual honesty, and to promote freedom of inquiry and expression. It is therefore the policy of the university that no act of any member of the university community shall serve to restrain or inhibit access to opportunities or the exercise of these freedoms. To that end, no person, either singly or in concert with others, shall willfully:

1. Discriminate against another person on a basis not reasonably related to the educational or job functions involved on the basis of race, ethnicity, sex, religion, color, creed, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, and age.

2. Harass or intimidate any person.

3. Cause physical injury or threaten any person with force or violence.

4. Have in his possession any firearm, other weapon, or explosive, regardless of whether a license to possess the same has been issued, without the written authorization of the president of the university. This restriction does not apply to persons whose duties lawfully require the possession of firearms or other weapons.
    If the event police were called it is a tresspassing charge and not a weapons charge.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

You do know that is why they call it concealed.
    Member NRA
    Served in U.S.A.F.(jet engine mechanic)
    Kel-Tec P3AT
    Don't Leave Home Without It!

In a hospital here, the sign says "No weapons, this is a place of healing".

As if the absence or presence of weapons had something to do with magic healing powers
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I appreciate all of the responses. This particular hospital is posted, and it is also owned by the company I work for, so if I would have carried concealed anyway and by some way, shape, or form been discovered I would have faced more than an "asked to leave" situation. Bad part is I'll have to go through it again as a patient myself soon for a surgery that will most likely include several inpatient days. That's just how it goes sometimes.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links