Going to NC Soon... Car carry? - Page 2

Going to NC Soon... Car carry?

This is a discussion on Going to NC Soon... Car carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by RjVA Also be warned, most of the outer banks is concidered a National Park.... This map looks pretty reliable..... http://www.nps.gov/caha/map.htm Thanks, but ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Going to NC Soon... Car carry?

Lightbulb Thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by RjVA
    Also be warned, most of the outer banks is concidered a National Park....

This map looks pretty reliable.....

http://www.nps.gov/caha/map.htm
    Thanks, but I NEVER intend on visiting the Outer Banks. Born and raised in Miami FL...why do I need to go to another hurricane impact point? LOL I'll be very happy in the mountains...although that has the Great Smokey Mountain National Park....something I'll want to be aware of if I intend to do any hiking on the Appalachian Trail (that's one place or route to be at all times armed)....I wonder where I can get stats on criminal activity along the Appalachian Trail. Any ideas?
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Question Begs another question...

Quote Originally Posted by PolarBear
    Please note that any place with a posted "No Weapons" sign also applies to "open carry". In addition, anyone can ask you to NOT open carry on their property and it may draw the attention of local LEOs. For further info, please see: http://www.opencarry.org/
    Okay there's another question. Does the prohibition have the force of law? In FL property owners can "forbid" a person to carry on the property, but it's a policy and not a law. IF you are detected you may be asked to leave the property. IF you RETURN and are still armed you may be arrested for trespass after warning, a misdemeanor.

Is this the case in NC? Or if you're found carrying in such a place like a movie theatre or restaurant, it's off to jail....?
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier
    You can open carry into a movie theatre or a restaurant? Do you need a permit to open carry?
    No permit needed to open carry. Also, if you have a CCW permit here, you don't need to get a separate purchase permit if you want a new gun. The CCW supercedes the plain purchase permit.

The basic no carry areas in NC are:

1. Any educational property, private or public.
    2. Any establishment where alcoholic beverages are sold and comsumed.
    3. State property and courhouses
    4. Parades, picket lines, demonstrations at private health care facilities.
    5. Any federal property including building, land, and facilities.
    6. Any property posted by the owner prohibiting concealed carry handgun.
    7. Any law enforcement or correctional facility
    8. Any state or federal office or office building
    9. Any finalcial institutions including banks, savings and loan, or credit unions.
    10. Anywhere while comsuming alcohol or at any time while any alcohol or controlled substance is in the blood
    11. Any assembly where admission is charged.

Okay there's another question. Does the prohibition have the force of law? In FL property owners can "forbid" a person to carry on the property, but it's a policy and not a law. IF you are detected you may be asked to leave the property. IF you RETURN and are still armed you may be arrested for trespass after warning, a misdemeanor.

Is this the case in NC? Or if you're found carrying in such a place like a movie theatre or restaurant, it's off to jail....?
    According to our instructor, it's kind of up to the place you are carrying illegally. Most times they will tell you to leave, but they can get you for tresspass. Also, if I remember correctly, your permit can be revolked for the remainder of its term. We have 5 year permits here, so if you do something that gets your permit yanked in the first 6 months, you're permit is going away for 4+ years. On the flip side, if you do something that warrants your permit being yanked and there is only a few months time left on it, the judge has the right to add extra time to your loss of permit.

Garland, NC (About 25 miles east of Fayetteville)

It is my understanding that it DOES "have the force of law". That is why it is mentioned in the law in the list of places "Off limits" for CCW. However, we were told in training that for the first offense the holder has the option to pay a $100 fine OR give up their permit, the second offense will cause the permit to be revoked. It is my understanding that no further criminal action can be taken.

Another point is: NC law says any place that puts up a sign banning weapons must put said sign in a "conspicuous place" where it will be seen by everyone. Most places do this by putting a sign on the door. So, unless the location is on the list of places that are "off limits", if you are attentive and look for a sign but don't see one then you are ok. If there is NO sign, or the sign is NOT in a conspicuous place and you did not see it, then you are NOT guilty of any crime and the establishment can only ask you to leave and return after disarming.

I do not carry in places that are “off limits” and do not advise anyone else to do it. But in the case of places that do not have signs posted and are NOT on the “off limits” places, my opinion is: if you are carrying properly then no one would know you are carrying, and if they do not know you are carrying then they would not tell you not to.

Hope this helps, Joe

I live in NC and hold NC, AZ, and UT CCW permits, as I frequently travel the US. As a general rule, as long as you notify the LEO that you are packing, they don't seem to even care. It's usually "Ok, have a nice day", when I show them the permits. I live in a rural area and can't speak for Charlott, Winston Salem, Asheville, or the Triangle area, but overall, a very positive carry experience.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links