Going to NC Soon... Car carry?

This is a discussion on Going to NC Soon... Car carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK, so, I'm going to be visiting NC here soon, and I have an Ohio Concealed Handgun License, which, has repricocity in NC. Color me ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going to NC Soon... Car carry?

OK, so, I'm going to be visiting NC here soon, and I have an Ohio Concealed Handgun License, which, has repricocity in NC.

Color me slow, but, I don't get NC's Car carry laws.

Anyone know, wether or not, I can carry (open or concealed PLEASE, I'm from Ohio, land of "Plain sight in the vehicle"!) in my vehicle, in NC?

Are there any traps or pitfalls I should beware of, in general?

Any further advice?

Thanks folks!
    Where's the best place to apply for your Ohio CHL?
    Find out at http://ccwhen.com! (Now with Chat!)

Единственная реальная власть приходит из длинней винтовки.

Garland, NC (About 25 miles east of Fayetteville)
    Quote Originally Posted by PgSqlQuery
    I have an Ohio Concealed Handgun License, which, has repricocity in NC.
    Ohio IS one of the states that have a concealed handgun permit agreement with North Carolina.

Please see: http://www.ncdoj.com/law_enforcement...eciprocity.jsp
    This link also includes other useful information about do's and doníts while in NC.

It is my understanding that if you have a valid CCW permit from a state that has a reciprocity agreement with NC, than NC recognizes your out of state permit as if it were a NC permit.

With that said, in NC you may carry however you choose in your vehicle (provided you are a permit holder). Just remember, NC is a MUST INFORM state, you must let LEOs know you are a permit holder if you are addressed or approached by said LEO.

Hope this helps, Joe

Gotcha, same as ohio, in the must-inform thing....

I'm likely just paranoid, since ohio's laws seem to have been geared towards "How can we trick the chl'er into comitting a felony" approach....

I actually grew up in NC, spent about 15 years there.... but, I didn't care/learn about the laws at that time.... I do remember when we passed CCW there, and there were suddenly 'stupid signs' (I distinctly recall thinking them INCREDIBLY stupid, at the age of 15....) all over the place.... :)

Have y'all tarheels calmed down on the signs yet? :)

Ohio, having just passed CCW a couple years back, is in much the same situation asI remember...

If your traveling and not sure of the other state's laws,

I'd check www.packing.org

I'm here in NC and if I were you I would check packing to be for sure. If we have an agreement I would not worry and don't take it into places serve alcohol, government places or schools of any type. Just be careful .
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

Quote Originally Posted by Leadslinger
    If your traveling and not sure of the other state's laws,

I'd check www.packing.org
    Heh, yeah, I went there, it was down last night, last time I looked, it was relatively ambiguous, about car carry. Instead of a clear answer, they chose instead to post a mini-essay on the topic...

Either way, the second poster answered it for me (Thanks, btw!)

Thanks guys

Question Now MY question...

Quote Originally Posted by PolarBear
    Ohio IS one of the states that have a concealed handgun permit agreement with North Carolina.

Please see: http://www.ncdoj.com/law_enforcement...eciprocity.jsp
    This link also includes other useful information about do's and doníts while in NC.

It is my understanding that if you have a valid CCW permit from a state that has a reciprocity agreement with NC, than NC recognizes your out of state permit as if it were a NC permit.

With that said, in NC you may carry however you choose in your vehicle (provided you are a permit holder). Just remember, NC is a MUST INFORM state, you must let LEOs know you are a permit holder if you are addressed or approached by said LEO.

Hope this helps, Joe
    Thank you, excellent link. My wife and I are planning to retire to North Carolina within 5 years and may be purchasing mountain property much sooner than that. I get the law but I'm a little bit confuzzled by the restaurant thing. In FLORIDA we have this thing that you CAN carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol so long as FOOD is the primary source of revenue (like a TGI Friday's) AND so long as you don't sit at the bar or in the bar area. Is that the case in NC? Also I heard that in NC it's illegal to carry in a movie theatre? Is that true? If so it SUX because many evenings out will include a movie and dinner for us and the whole purpose is to remain safe in TRANSIT to and from these public areas....like in parking garages etc.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

ExSoldier: Don't forget about NC requiring purchase permits for guns (I forget if that applies to long guns, or just handguns, it's been a few years!)

My mom owns a lotta land (100-ish acres, I THINK) in the mountains, it's a great place to vacation! :)

ExSoldier: Don't forget about NC requiring purchase permits for guns (I forget if that applies to long guns, or just handguns, it's been a few years!)

My mom owns a lotta land (100-ish acres, I THINK) in the mountains, it's a great place to vacation! :)
    Purchase permits do not apply to CCW permit holders. Your CCW permit can be used instead.

Exclamation You've GOTTA be KIDDING!

ExSoldier: Don't forget about NC requiring purchase permits for guns.
    OH NO! How do I get one of those and is there an inspection policy where "they" get to come inspect any time "they" want? Cripes that means I hafta get everything I ever wanted before I move! The wife will kill me. Lessee...ummmm... that's ONLY about 5 more handguns and ummmm maybe 4 more centerfire rifles (not counting the Contender types) and I guess I'm GTG on shotties....
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier
    OH NO! How do I get one of those and is there an inspection policy where "they" get to come inspect any time "they" want? Cripes that means I hafta get everything I ever wanted before I move! The wife will kill me. Lessee...ummmm... that's ONLY about 5 more handguns and ummmm maybe 4 more centerfire rifles (not counting the Contender types) and I guess I'm GTG on shotties....
    Donít worry, there is NO inspection policy like in MA. It is a way to "side step" the waiting period. You go to the Sheriffs office and pay (I think it is still $5 each) and you can get up to 5 purchase permits at a time. The purchase permit is good for 5 years and they only verify that you are ok to buy (NICS check). After you wait the 3-5 days, you can go back and pick up your permits. Then if you want to buy a hand gun you go to the store and buy it with no further wait. It also provides a way for private sales of hand guns without any headaches, all you need to do is get a permit from the buyer and copy of their ID and you are golden.
    Furthermore, you DO NOT need a purchase permit if you have your CCW permit. The CCW acts as your purchase permit. You simply walk into your favorite shop, pick out a gun, fill out the BATFE paperwork, show your CCW, pay for the gun, and leave.
    Also, the process to get a CCW in NC is quick (it only took about 2-3 weeks for my wife and I). So just get your NC CCW and you will be ok.
    Send me a PM or email if you have any other questions, Joe

Thank you, excellent link. My wife and I are planning to retire to North Carolina within 5 years and may be purchasing mountain property much sooner than that. I get the law but I'm a little bit confuzzled by the restaurant thing. In FLORIDA we have this thing that you CAN carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol so long as FOOD is the primary source of revenue (like a TGI Friday's) AND so long as you don't sit at the bar or in the bar area. Is that the case in NC? Also I heard that in NC it's illegal to carry in a movie theatre? Is that true? If so it SUX because many evenings out will include a movie and dinner for us and the whole purpose is to remain safe in TRANSIT to and from these public areas....like in parking garages etc.
    You CANNOT carry in ANY place that sells AND serves alcohol or anywhere that you must pay admission. This applies to most resturants and all movie theaters, sorry. You can however "open carry" if you like. I know it is not the best option, but it is the only one that is legal.

Question Open Carry?

Quote Originally Posted by PolarBear
    You CANNOT carry in ANY place that sells AND serves alcohol or anywhere that you must pay admission. This applies to most resturants and all movie theaters, sorry. You can however "open carry" if you like. I know it is not the best option, but it is the only one that is legal.
    You can open carry into a movie theatre or a restaurant? Do you need a permit to open carry?

Also be warned, most of the outer banks is concidered a National Park....

This map looks pretty realiable.....

http://www.nps.gov/caha/map.htm
    Last edited by RjVA; July 21st, 2006 at 05:04 PM.
    "Sic Semper Tyrannis"

You can open carry into a movie theatre or a restaurant? Do you need a permit to open carry?
    It is my understanding that NO permit required for open carry in NC. Please note that any place with a posted "No Weapons" sign also applies to "open carry". In addition, anyone can ask you to NOT open carry on their property and it may draw the attention of local LEOs. Other than that, if you can legally own and possess a handgun you can "open carry" so long as you are not consuming alcohol, or committing any other crime. Just do not carry on state or federal property.

For further info, please see: http://www.opencarry.org/

Hope this helps, Joe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links