College speech on conceal carry!

This is a discussion on College speech on conceal carry! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey all, been too long since I've been on, been busy with school! I however would like to request some help if I may and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: College speech on conceal carry!

College speech on conceal carry!

Hey all, been too long since I've been on, been busy with school! I however would like to request some help if I may and I know there is a ton of you on here who are very informative so figured this was a good place to start my research. I'm planning on a speech for my college speech class on persuading women to carry guns, and the fact I think every woman should own and know how to use at least one gun (sorry men but it is way easier to talk a guy into having a gun than it is a girl). So anything you all can throw at me that I can mull over would be great! Reasons why you thing a gal should have a gun, any statistics you may have on crime rates against women, if you are a gal what made you decide to carry, if you are a guy how you talked your gal into carrying. Anything you may be able to think up would be very greatly appreciated!

2. Remove Ads

Gun Facts - Gun Control | Facts | Debunk | Myths

there is an interesting section in the above link (a version which you should have saved to your hard drive as a PDF) which details Florida when they became a shall issue state and some training that was offered to women to prevent rape. It's a good place to start.. lots of links within the PDF as well IIRC.

Good luck, go get 'em.
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

Distinguished Member
    ^Very good source.

I was just about to recommend it...

Be sure to used corneredcat.com as a resource.

I'm sure you will get some good suggestions. Should be an easy sell in CDA.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar

Get a copy of John lott's book More guns less crime
    Spec likes this.

Thanks so much for the suggestions guys these help give me a good starting point. Should be interesting especially since the school paper has a big article this week on new legislation that just passed the idaho house saying that public colleges cannot regulate their firearm policies except in undergraduate housing!

You've already got great places to start so I'll just say that it would be nice if you could share your final product/speech with us once youir done. I think a woman should carry a gun for the same reasons a man should carry - self defense. Good luck with your speech!
    "He who does not punish evil commands it to be done." - Leonardo da Vinci

A buddy of mine just asked for some references for a paper he was writing on Campus Carry. I think Its great that there is so much discussion about self defense going on in college. Good luck. And yeah, share that final product.
    Please take my posts with a grain of salt. I am frequently sleep deprived and always just on this side of "Krazy".

When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle. Edmund Burke

My wife had to write a paper in her Women Studies course called "What If She's Packing", and how a criminal might change his mind if he had to consider meeting lethal force. I'll try to get more details from her later.

Armed and Female by Paxton Quigley if you have not already read it. Also the web site corneredcat.com
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

VIP Member
    Self defense is the main reason, but women also are much more likely to have a disparity of force issue in an altercation. Pretty much any time a man attacks a woman, the woman will be able to claim disparity of force. I realize there are exceptions, but I don't think it likely that a mousey little man would attack an amazon woman to begin with.

Another think women have to fear that men don't is rape. In some states, rape prevention is a viable reason to use deadly force. This assumes that there is a credible threat and that rape is likley if the woman does nothing to forestall it.

I am sure there are other reasons, but these are the best I can think of right now.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Second the recommendation for Lott's book...he cites results in numerous places that indicate that gun ownership and concealed carry laws are especially important for deterring crimes against women.
    "To predict the behavior of ordinary people in advance, you only have to assume that they will always try to escape a disagreeable situation with the smallest possible expenditure of intelligence." Friedrich Nietzsche

Sounds like a great topic. In fact I have to do a persuasive speech in my college class to so maybe I just found my topic

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links