Carrying in GA ( non-res)????

This is a discussion on Carrying in GA ( non-res)???? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My dad is going to GA tomorrow (has a non-res PA) and just asked me about rest areas in GA. At one time you couldn't ...

Thread: Carrying in GA ( non-res)????

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar

My dad is going to GA tomorrow (has a non-res PA) and just asked me about rest areas in GA. At one time you couldn't carry in rest areas but I'm thinking that was changed. I've tried to find it but don't see anything about it. Can anyone give me a heads up on that and also eating places that serve alcohol?

Thanks guys!
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

VIP Member
    Per http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/georgia.pdf

Road Side Rest Areas: YES O.C.G.A. 16-11-127
    "I've noticed that everyone that is pro-abortion has already been born." - Ronald Reagan

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Yes he can carry in restaurants that serve alcohol in GA with his PA non-resident permit.

Reference same as previous person posted.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Well, I was under the impression that you still could not carry into a rest area. But looking it up on GeorgiaPacking.org I found out different. The law says:
    TITLE 16. CRIMES AND OFFENSES
    CHAPTER 11. OFFENSES AGAINST PUBLIC ORDER AND SAFETY
    ARTICLE 4. DANGEROUS INSTRUMENTALITIES AND PRACTICES
    PART 3. CARRYING AND POSSESSION OF FIREARMS

O.C.G.A. 16-11-127 (2011)

16-11-127. Carrying weapons in unauthorized locations; penalty

(3) "Government building" means:

(A) The building in which a government entity is housed;

(B) The building where a government entity meets in its official capacity; provided, however, that if such building is not a publicly owned building, such building shall be considered a government building for the purposes of this Code section only during the time such government entity is meeting at such building; or

(C) The portion of any building that is not a publicly owned building that is occupied by a government entity.

(4) "Government entity" means an office, agency, authority, department, commission, board, body, division, instrumentality, or institution of the state or any county, municipal corporation, consolidated government, or local board of education within this state.

(5) "Parking facility" means real property owned or leased by a government entity, courthouse, jail, prison, place of worship, or bar that has been designated by such government entity, courthouse, jail, prison, place of worship, or bar for the parking of motor vehicles at a government building or at such courthouse, jail, prison, place of worship, or bar.

(d) Subsection (b) of this Code section shall not apply:

(3) To a weapon or long gun possessed by a license holder which is under the possessor's control in a motor vehicle or is in a locked compartment of a motor vehicle or one which is in a locked container in or a locked firearms rack which is on a motor vehicle and such vehicle is parked in a parking facility.
    Which to me sounds like it is off-limits. I thought the rest area was owned by the state, therefore making it a government building. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

You can carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol, but no bars where they happen to sell food.

O.C.G.A. 16-11-127 (2011)

16-11-127. Carrying weapons in unauthorized locations; penalty

(1) "Bar" means an establishment that is devoted to the serving of alcoholic beverages for consumption by guests on the premises and in which the serving of food is only incidental to the consumption of those beverages, including, but not limited to, taverns, nightclubs, cocktail lounges, and cabarets.
    Law regarding drinking while carrying is a little more vague and confusing.

O.C.G.A. 16-11-134 (2011)

16-11-134. Discharging firearm while under the influence of alcohol or drugs

(a) It shall be unlawful for any person to discharge a firearm while:

(1) Under the influence of alcohol or any drug or any combination of alcohol and any drug to the extent that it is unsafe for the person to discharge such firearm except in the defense of life, health, and property;

(2) The person's alcohol concentration is 0.08 grams or more at any time while discharging such firearm or within three hours after such discharge of such firearm from alcohol consumed before such discharge ended; or

(c) Any person convicted of violating subsection (a) of this Code section shall be guilty of a misdemeanor of a high and aggravated nature.

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    Thanks guys for your help....I'll pass this along to him
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

Sponsored Links