Confidence Booster

Confidence Booster

This is a discussion on Confidence Booster within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been carrying daily for about 5 months now. I still am rather self-conscious about people seeing or knowing that I have a gun on. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Confidence Booster

Confidence Booster

I've been carrying daily for about 5 months now. I still am rather self-conscious about people seeing or knowing that I have a gun on. I have a story to relate that was a real confidence booster for me.

It is amazing how oblivious people are to things around them. I had some family pass through last weekend that I had not seen since I started carrying regularly. They did not know that I carried, and I purposefully did not tell them. I was interested to see if they could tell or not. Our activities included hanging around the house, watching my son's T-ball game at the park, showing them around our newly planted garden, and me making homemade pizza in the kitchen. We were together from dinner on Friday until Sunday morning. I had my gun holstered the entire time I was with them, and frankly did not try very hard to make sure it was always covered by my untucked shirt.

Late Saturday evening, the subject of guns came up. I was asking what kind he had and he was asking about mine. We started talking about a mutual friend that we both knew carries daily. He asked me, "Do you plan to get a concealed carry permit?" I said, "I already have one, and I carry all the time." Then I stood up and showed him my holstered gun and told him that I had been carrying it the whole time. He looked at his wife and said, "Honey, did you know that he had a gun on this whole time?" She didn't.

It's a real confidence booster to know that people don't know that you have a gun. Even in very close quarters, people tend to be oblivious to what is around them.

I cant.

Carry
    Always
    Never
    Tell
    poppy37 and Harryball like this.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

It makes you feel good when you a situation reinforces your concealment method.

I'm home today with my wife after her surgery and I have a bum knee. I'm home in my lounge pants and t-shirt and the door bell rang. My sister-in-law asked as I pushed my walker towards the door "you're gonna answer the door without a gun?" and I lifted the back of my t-shirt and revealed my PT709 in a IWB holster of my lounge pants at about the 4:00 position. She said she never had a clue and she was looking at my back with me bent over a bit.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

GM
    If you had not told them that you carried a firearm and you were carrying concealed, why does it surprise you so much that they did not know about it?
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

GM, I'm not surprised that they did not know. The point was for them not to know unless I told them. I was just reassured that more than likely no one else would ever know either. I guess, I am just glad to know that I am doing it right, that's all.

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by derbow View Post
    GM, I'm not surprised that they did not know. The point was for them not to know unless I told them. I was just reassured that more than likely no one else would ever know either. I guess, I am just glad to know that I am doing it right, that's all.
    You obviously are doing it right! Congrats . Do not think that other people will realize that you conceal a firearm, because the majority will not. Just carry on
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Here's the thing. I have read many posts like this and I always think the same thing:

When we lived in Tennessee (and we will again God willing) I open carried a lot of the time. Open Carry is very common in West Tennessee, specifically Shelby County. After getting used to OC and realizing that no one was going to freak out about it, I got very comfortable with it. I made no attempt to "camouflage" the gun. In other words, I didn't wear dark clothes so the gun and holster blended in and was less noticeable. I typically wore tan cargo shorts, a light colored T-shirt with a Glock 23 in a SERPA on my right hip with a spare mag on my left hip.

You would not believe the number of people who I would come into contact with that never realized I was openly carrying a gun. Only a few times did someone actually notice. It was amazing and really made me realize how many people live their day to day lives in condition white. Completely oblivious of their surroundings.

When 95% of people don't realize that someone is open carrying, it doesn't surprise me at all that people do not notice someone carrying concealed.
    BugDude likes this.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

A good belt and holster make concealment easier but nothing makes concealment easier than having oblivious people around you!
    "He who does not punish evil commands it to be done." - Leonardo da Vinci

Congrats. Now don't let anyone else in on the secret.
    Semper Fi

Good job. I am also amazed at how oblivious people are, they are in their own little bubble,never noticing or paying any attention to what's going on around them. My own family doesnt know I carry (except for my wife) and I'm not gonna tell them.

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Many people are lost in space.They notice very little.That is good for us.
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

Quote Originally Posted by mr.stuart View Post
    Many people are lost in space.They notice very little.That is good for us.
    Agree, and for those very few who "might notice" it doesn't matter. So what?
    Usually an observer will not react at all, and say nothing.

RKM
    It's true. I've carried IWB with just a t-shirt many times. It does print. Printing isn't illegal in PA, as open carry is legal. But I prefer to carry concealed. Nobody can tell. You can clearly see something under my t-shirt, but nobody notices. And I'll admit, I'm sure people printing have walked past me an I never noticed. It's hard to pay attention to such details unless you're trying. Even with good SA, we can't see everything!

I also CANT. I have even been asked my close friends and I still CANT. It's no one's business except mine.
    It's not the destination, it's the journey.

Quote Originally Posted by supv26 View Post
    I also CANT. I have even been asked my close friends and I still CANT. It's no one's business except mine.
    Good policy.
    ...the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links