Time Running Out for Some to Get Utah Non Resident Permit/License.

This is a discussion on Time Running Out for Some to Get Utah Non Resident Permit/License. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Edited to remove incorrect information. \ Their new requirements for Non Resident Permit/License are below. The Governor signed this new law yesterday. Remember you have ...

Senior Member Array Gary Slider's Avatar

Edited to remove incorrect information. \

Their new requirements for Non Resident Permit/License are below. The Governor signed this new law yesterday. Remember you have to have a class from a Utah Certified Instructor. You can find info on how to apply at:
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/utah.pdf or http://publicsafety.utah.gov/b...ncealedfirearms.html
    You can also find a listing of Utah Certified Instructors at both sites.

53-5-704.

(4) (a) In addition to meeting the other qualifications for the issuance of a concealed firearm permit
    under this section, a nonresident applicant who resides in a state that recognizes the validity of the
    Utah permit or has reciprocity with Utah's concealed firearm permit law shall:

(i) hold a current concealed firearm or concealed weapon permit issued by the appropriate
    permitting authority of the nonresident applicant's state of residency; and

(ii) submit a photocopy or electronic copy of the nonresident applicant's current concealed
    firearm or concealed weapon permit referred to in Subsection (4)(a)(i).

(b) A nonresident applicant who knowingly and willfully provides false information to the bureau
    under Subsection (4)(a) is prohibited from holding a Utah concealed firearm permit for a period of 10
    years.

(c) Subsection (4)(a) applies to all applications for the issuance of a concealed firearm permit that are
    received by the bureau after May 10, 2011.

(d) Beginning January 1, 2012, Subsection (4)(a) also applies to an application for renewal of a
    concealed firearm permit by a nonresident.
    Last edited by Gary Slider; March 24th, 2011 at 10:15 PM.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network

Senior Member Array Gary Slider's Avatar
    I have been told by a Utah Certified Instructor that those states that do not have reciprocity with Utah will still be Eligible for a permit/license from Utah. He stated he talked directly to Utah BCI. That only those states that have reciprocity with Utah must have a resident permit so those people can not get a Utah Permit and carry in their home state with it. I hope this is correct. I will contact BCI directly tomorrow to confirm. Those in states that do not honor a Utah Permit/License will still be eligible to apply.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network

GM
    Thanks for the info
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Slider View Post
    I have been told by a Utah Certified Instructor that those states that do not have reciprocity with Utah will still be Eligible for a permit/license from Utah. He stated he talked directly to Utah BCI. That only those states that have reciprocity with Utah must have a resident permit so those people can not get a Utah Permit and carry in their home state with it. I hope this is correct. I will contact BCI directly tomorrow to confirm. Those in states that do not honor a Utah Permit/License will still be eligible to apply.
    Have no issues with that , if that's the case.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Lead Moderator
    In this case, thankfully Maryland doesn't recognize any other State, for once this might actually for for us!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

I applied for my Utah permit back on January 26th and still haven't received it yet. I already have my Nebraska permit so I don't know what the hold up is.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    I think Utah is definitely the best second permit (particularly for Nebraskans, rammerjammer). I have Florida, which is pretty good, but Utah adds 1 more state and is cheaper. I am switching.

So does this only apply to new permit applicants? I got my permit when i still lived in Utah then moved to IL, i know i know, a little less than a year ago. From what is stated in other posts, I gather I'm not in danger of losing my permit but if/when IL passes concealed carry I'll have to get an IL permit in order for my UT permit to remain valid? Assuming that the two would have reciprocity with each other?

Links