Another rant from a rural perspective.

This is a discussion on Another rant from a rural perspective. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well I live in the biggest city in Idaho which is really small compared to "big" cities. Sure we have crime but not like "big" ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Another rant from a rural perspective.

Another rant from a rural perspective.

Well I live in the biggest city in Idaho which is really small compared to "big" cities. Sure we have crime but not like "big" cites. At minimum the volume of crime is less, so comparatively I feel safer. EXCEPT, I think we sometimes forget the rural threat that may exist because of small population. Here is my point, I love being out on the desert, camping in the mountains, exploring mountain logging roads and finding places where other people don't go. I don't drink, do drugs, hang out with bad folks, or even stick around when things get loud. I would consider myself in the safest enviournment a normal human could be in. But, what if during my "adventures" in the wild, I come accros by accident, a drug lab, pot farm, drug deal in progress, sex crime in progress or even if I am percieved as a target by younger, stronger group of bad guys, now all this safe lifestyle and perhaps false sense of security goes out the window. Why do I carry in safe rural Idaho? Because Murphy's law is alive and well. Sometimes, no matter what, bad things are thrust upon the inocent, the aware, the safe, the good guy, the minding my own business kind of person. Everytime I am tempted to NOT carry that chunk of iron on my hip, I have this little self talk.
    In a gun fight, you can not miss fast enough, to catch up.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    You never when you might stumble on something like this. Marijuana Farms Take Root In National Parks : NPR Many places we thought were pristine and safe are no longer so.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    Complacency is the enemy of safety. Good point.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

I enjoy deep woods hiking to get away from things, I go to a very large state forest just south of Duluth that has some very remote locations. I consider myself as being far from the pollutions, crime, crap, and crud of the city; I'm in the world God made and I get to see what the world was like before man screwed it up. What a wake up call when you accidently walk into a pot farm, which I have done.

These days I wish I could deep-woods hike with my AR. But, I don't want to look like I'm out poaching, and I don't want people to think that I'm a nut job out "looking for Charley" with some Rambo fantasy. I'm just a soft, middle age software developer and I'm not looking for trouble. But what will I do if I stumble on a pot farm, and the drug dealers are present, and the drug dealers have to make a quick difficult choice about the secrecy of their enterprise? I won't walk with my AR for reasons that I've cited, but I always have my carry piece - only if I have a carry piece and they have a rifle I don't think pistol VS rifle comes out in favor of the pistol especially out doors in a woods setting. I'd rather that I have the rifle and they have the pistol but that won't be the case.

It's not a perfect world.

There is not one victim that planned on being so!
    Old School likes this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Rural DOES NOT equal "safe".

Another "spidey-sense" story: kinda long
    Last edited by Chaplain Scott; March 25th, 2011 at 02:05 PM. Reason: referenced wrong link--oops! fixed now
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

100% agree. For all those who feel safe in their local area, home, workplace, and therefore, don't "need" to carry, I hope you never prove yourself wrong, and guys like me just remain in the "paranoid" category in your mind. Regret is a monkey that never gets off your back, and I hope you never have that burden to bear. As for me, I always carry.
    RevolvingMag likes this.

I admittedly get complacent as well. I live in a county about 1,600 square miles in size, but with only ~35,000 people. There are only 2 stoplights in the entire county. Violent crime is very, very rare.

It's nice to get a little reminder (such as this thread) every once in a while that bad things happen to good people... even in "safe" places.

That's why I carry every day everywhere I can unless prohibited by law.

VIP Member
    This,
    brought to you by the Wisconsin Deer hunt,2004,

Five Hunters Killed in Wisconsin Dispute - U.S. & World - FOXNews.com

BIRCHWOOD, Wis. — A deer hunter shot and killed five people and injured three others in northwestern Wisconsin following a dispute about a tree stand during the hunt's opening weekend, authorities said.

The 36-year-old alleged gunman, who lives in the Minneapolis area, was arrested Sunday afternoon, Sawyer County (search) sheriff's officials said. Jake Hodgkinson, a deputy at the county jail, identified the suspect as Chai Vang but would give no additional details.

The incident began when two hunters were returning to their rural cabin on private land in Sawyer County when they saw the suspect in one of their hunting platforms in a tree, County Chief Deputy Tim Zeigle said. A confrontation and shooting followed.

To this day, this story has me looking over my shoulder a lot more.
    You just never know, what when how.

“What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Be prepared.

I spent about 2 weeks driving up in the coeur d'alene area of Idaho about 6 years ago,lots of areas that are pretty remote,I wouldn't do it again without being armed,too many bad things can happen
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

We had a neighbor who stumbled across some fellows playing militia on his (the neighbor's) land recently. Armed trespassers....awesome.
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    First off, I very definitely appreciate Timezones's comments about being out in the middle of nowhere and being prepared. I also appreciate KT's comments about understanding those who think he may be a bit paranoid with essentially a 24/7 CC regimen. Having said that, particularly for those who are not out in the middle of nowhere and, perhaps, live in a community that has a semblance of law and order, I do agree with KT's possible paranoid assessment. For those of you who truly believe that you need your 24/7 CC, I, very honestly, feel sorry for you---I understand and appreciate your concerns and vigilance but I do feel sorry for you for having to live somewhere where you find the "what ifs" to be prevalent enough to warrant such CC. I CC usually in my car (breakdown on a highway seems to be a sitting duck "what if") and when I am out at night and maybe passing thru an area or parking in an area that I deem a bit darker than most and maybe a bit more yada yada. Daylight around town--nope. I am 69 and lived most of the time in NYC/NJ and NEVER, EVER had a need to even think about CC or firearms or self defense. Situational awareness is my guiding thought process. Just sayin and again want to emphasize that I have no disagreement on all previous replies and respect these members' needs and responsibilities, whereever they live.

VIP Member
    We've been living where I am now (rural) since 1986. Since we moved in I've added a monitored alarm system with extra emphasis on fire detection. I also installed a four camera monitoring system. There are a few other ideas I'd like to do but it doesn't seem like I have the time to devote in doing it. I intend to install a door video intercom this year. When we first moved here we'd never heard of a "home invasion", of course now we have and I'd like to beef up my situation a little better. Right now guns are essentially my first solution.

We like living out here, quiet, peaceful, mostly absent of crime. I do pocket carry a LCP everyday, some days I work all day and hardly see another person, but I try never to get complacent. We haven't been without crime happening nearby, here are two examples that have happened in the past 25 years, one is on-going right now. Be prepared you never know................

http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/...s-my-barn.html

Armed success story by new member
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links