Minnesota carry restrictions?

This is a discussion on Minnesota carry restrictions? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Can anyone give me a rundown of the restrictions on carrying in Minnesota? What places are off limits? Are places such as the Minnesota Zoo, ...

Thread: Minnesota carry restrictions?

Can anyone give me a rundown of the restrictions on carrying in Minnesota? What places are off limits? Are places such as the Minnesota Zoo, Mall of America ect. posted? Any Indian reservations along I-35 between MN/IA state line and Duluth?

I'll probably just be driving through the state, but I'd like to know incase I decide to stop somewhere.

VIP Member
    For general information, check out:

http://www.handgunlaw.us/

In addition to the general map information, the links to the left of the website cover general information about nation-wide restricted areas by state.

Have a good trip...stay safe!

Last time I was at Mall of America there were signs posted on the entrance doors that no guns allowed.
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the PEOPLE to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

but do the signs mean anything?

Senior Member Array torrejon224's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229
    but do the signs mean anything?
    Just what they say! If caught, you will be asked to leave and possibly cited for tresspassing in addition to giving all CCW holders a bad name.

If someone sees my weapon, then I'm not doing my job--that will give CCW holders a bad name. If out of sight--out of mind.

If asked to leave--I leave (thus, no trespassing charge)

I was in another state that had similiar restrictions/consequences (no carry in restaurants/bars)--but the family event we were attending was in a busy downtown area with a parking garage. There was no way I was going go unarmed walking through a parking garage and street parking was unavailable; so the operational risk management decision was to carry, and if discovered, politely leave.

Would I carry into a federally prohibited place? NO
    Would I carry into a prohibited place that carried with it a serious misdemeanor or felony? NO
    Would I carry into a prohibited place if given the opportunity to leave (as required by law)? MAYBE (depends on the state/laws/consequences)

But in the end, my ability to defend myself and my family does not rest on an arbitrary sign in an area where there is an inherent risk that cannot be minimized (parking lots/garages, hospitals, malls, "stop & robs", restaurants, rest stops)

To borrow this phrase yet again: Concealed means concealed

Mike in VA

Click here for the actual law wording. Go to Subd.17 "Posting,Trespass".
    Being caught the first time holds NO penalty if when asked to leave you do LEAVE.. If you stay it is Trespassing, and you can be fined upto 25.00, with NO gun confiscation!

http://www.revisor.leg.state.mn.us/stats/624/714.html
    If you do it a second time it becomes more serious. If done properly (carrying concealed) it really becomes a non-issue.
    Stay safe, CraigJS

Carry concealed .Last time I checked mall of america was off limits but I carry conceal everywhere except for govrnment buildings,hospitols and schools those places I don't carry and most places have a sign posted that says it bans weapons or guns on or in this premises
    Last edited by merlin45k; July 22nd, 2006 at 07:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CraigJS View Post
    Click here for the actual law wording. Go to Subd.17 "Posting,Trespass".
    Being caught the first time holds NO penalty if when asked to leave you do LEAVE.. If you stay it is Trespassing, and you can be fined upto 25.00, with NO gun confiscation!

http://www.revisor.leg.state.mn.us/stats/624/714.html
    If you do it a second time it becomes more serious. If done properly (carrying concealed) it really becomes a non-issue.
    Stay safe, CraigJS
    Yup. Except that it's almost certain that the Mall of America can't lawfully make a request to leave for carrying; the law is specific that landlords (which the Mall is) can't restrict carry by their tenants and their guests.

That said, the poster who thought you could be arrested for trespass was wrong; that specific form of trespass is a non-arrestable offense, with a maximum penalty for the first offense of twenty-five bucks.

So: don't carry openly at the Mall, and don't worry about it.

Joel...good to see you here, I do spend some time over at the TC forum and enjoy it there as well!

I'd be interested in your comments on the "What happened to Minnesota nice?" thread, for I'm sure your contribution would be helpful.

JoelR wrote the book "Everything You Need to Know About (Legally) Carrying a Handgun in Minnesota" so I'll toot his horn for him

Brit...I did my initial permit to carry training through an AACFI instructor, and as you know, Joel's book was part of the package.

I read portions of the book, but my wife read it cover-to-cover, and as she did so, we had a discussion after each chapter. We learned a lot about the facts in the book, but beyond that we had the good sense to include developing our "carry strategy" as individuals and a couple as the discussion progressed. We stumbled into the process quite by accident, but I recommend it to any couple about to start carrying in MN.
    Last edited by JimmyC4; September 19th, 2006 at 02:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 500Mag View Post
    Last time I was at Mall of America there were signs posted on the entrance doors that no guns allowed.
    You can igor those signs because Minnesota law does not allow an owner of a muti-tennant building from restricting carry. Only the actual stores can. So you can walk on by them and they are not compliant signs and at each entrance. If someone from the owning company asks you to leave and you refuse you can get a $25 dollar ticket. SO, just leave if someone asks you.

In general, federal buildings, schools K-12, pre-schools, and daycare. Note: You can carry at a college or Univ with no problems because they can't post for visitors. Part of the Minnesota law says any entity that takes state funds can not post. You can carry in bars but your BAL can't go above .04 or half our driving level of .08. If they are doing checks at the door you can avoid them because they can refuse entrance to anyone.

So, you can carry almost anywhere you want here so a great state for carry.

Note: I took my training from Joel also! and I'm a member at TCC also.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Sponsored Links