Do you travel to states you cannot carry?

This is a discussion on Do you travel to states you cannot carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; There are times when I unfortunately must travel to states where I can not legally carry or carry would be questionable at best. As a ...

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Do you travel to states you cannot carry?

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    There are times when I unfortunately must travel to states where I can not legally carry or carry would be questionable at best. As a Department of the Army Police Officer HR 218 may or may not apply depending on which legal council you talk to, so for legal safety I view it as a no. My permits are valid for several states but occassionally I must attend training in a state that my permits are not valid. In those situations I grin (when I can) and bear it. I do try to arrange training where I can Carry but it is not always possible.

2. Remove Ads

I travel coast to coast and just have to secure the weapon a little differently depending on what state I am in.
    It's not the destination, it's the journey.

I have my NYS and PA permits, so reciprocity wise i can carry in many states. I guess i am not much of a world traveller anyways, so i will stick to states that i can carry, and if i have to go through states i cannot, like others have stated, it will get locked up till i can carry again. Bunker
    "6 P's of self defense "
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

I bring a firearm packed legally in states where I can't carry. We drive to Washington a lot so when we leave Arizona we are basically screwed. No carry in California, Oregon, or Washington.

Quote Originally Posted by bunker View Post
    I have my NYS and PA permits, so reciprocity wise i can carry in many states. I guess i am not much of a world traveller anyways, so i will stick to states that i can carry, and if i have to go through states i cannot, like others have stated, it will get locked up till i can carry again. Bunker
    I live 5 miles from NY and it's really the only state I venture into anymore, but because I cannot get a permit there (unless something has changed that I don't know about), they won't be seeing my butt anymore, lol. That kind of stinks when you are out for a leisurely bike ride. I don't mind pulling my helmet out of my saddlebag when I realize I have drifted across the border, what am I supposed to do with my gun? Word is they frown about that sort of thing there. I no longer want to take the chance of getting pulled over for something stupid and happen to be carrying.

I still have family in Illinois and do go back to visit. I feel very alone and unsafe with out being able to carry. This is down state, no way I would go anywhere near Chicago.

VIP Member
    I have to go to Southern California next week & I'm NOT looking forward to being un-armed. I try to limit where I travel in the states to places I can carry, but it doesn't always work out. I also have to go to a lot of Federal facilities for work & also can't go armed there.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

I try not to travel in states and locations that I cannot carry. However, I find myself having to go to places (colleges, states) where my son plays baseball that limit carrying. It is uncomfortable, but in some cases necesarry.

Quote Originally Posted by PAcanis View Post
    I live 5 miles from NY and it's really the only state I venture into anymore, but because I cannot get a permit there (unless something has changed that I don't know about), they won't be seeing my butt anymore, lol. That kind of stinks when you are out for a leisurely bike ride. I don't mind pulling my helmet out of my saddlebag when I realize I have drifted across the border, what am I supposed to do with my gun? Word is they frown about that sort of thing there. I no longer want to take the chance of getting pulled over for something stupid and happen to be carrying.
    Its too bad i can get my PA permit and you cannot get your NY permit... I too ride my motorcycle and often wind up in PA... its nice i can carry there also. I have a trip to W virginia this summer, and my buddy and i both carry, and plan on only riding where we can legally carry. Bunker
    "6 P's of self defense "
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

No, never - my time and money gets spent where I am treated as a citizen, and not as a serf.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    I generally avoid "non-free" states, but maybe once a year I must traverse Illinois or go to Hawaii to visit relatives.

Quote Originally Posted by GJ44 View Post
    I'm on vacation in Florida right now and even unarmed...left the gun at home.
    You might as well leave it at home---neither Florida nor any of the states between New York and Florida recognize the New York permit. I wonder why.

As a Rule no I don't,Like Retsup said ,they wanta restrict my 2nd amendment rights they can suck wind,plenty of great cities and country to visit that accepts my Tx CHL and I been to NYC I wasn't impressed
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I do not base my travel on whether or not I can carry my gun or not. I am allowed to carry all over Massachusetts but have no problem leaving the state and leaving my guns at home.

I do it daily...I work for the Feds and can't carry at work....in June, my job moves over to Maryland so I can't even carry outside the facility...

I'll still live in VA and carry when home...but paranoia does not rule my life...and a weapon is just one tool...

If it's the only tool you have in your SD tool box...you need to expand your tool selection...
    VCDL Member
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Theodore Roosevelt

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    I'm not much of a traveler and there are plenty of things to see in my home state of VA to keep me satisfied. I sometimes travel to Texas to visit relatives, so I got a PA and NH permit to cover me in all the states I have to drive through.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links