Do you travel to states you cannot carry?

This is a discussion on Do you travel to states you cannot carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Anubis I generally avoid "non-free" states, but maybe once a year I must traverse Illinois or go to Hawaii to visit relatives. ...

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Do you travel to states you cannot carry?

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    I generally avoid "non-free" states, but maybe once a year I must traverse Illinois or go to Hawaii to visit relatives.

You might as well leave it at home---neither Florida nor any of the states between New York and Florida recognize the New York permit. I wonder why.
    I really didn't need to leave it home since I can legally carry in about 33 states. It is a shame NY doesn't recognize other states, but then again it's NY!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I feel some of the replies are rediculas. I certainly travel to places before I could carry, and I'll certainly travel places still without carrying. Just because I may be denied the right to carry in some venues doesn't mean I'm willingly giving up all my rights to travel whenever and wherever I choose. that's a basic priviledge of freedom. If I choose to go to the Post Office, the sheriff's dept, a professional sports event, or any of the numerous places I'm not allowed to carry, I'm going. People slip, fall, and die in bathtubs and showers. So does one refuse to bathe because something bad might happen? I go where I choose to go because I want to, not because I can carry there. If I wish to see the Statute of Liberty, it isn't coming here to FL, so...

How do the song lyrics go? Paranoia runs deep, into the mind it will creep...
    DaveJay, limatunes and bentol888 like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Do you travel to states you cannot carry?
    Of course I do. I have relatives on the west coast to visit. Besides, there are many interesting places to visit where one can't carry that I want to see before I die. I'm not going to be a prisoner of paranoia. That is not to say that I won't take plenty of prudent precaution when travelling. Guns are only one part of my overall security package.

For me (and many others on here) it has nothing to do with "paranoia". It has everything to do with not spending my time or money in a state that refuses to recognize our natural right to keep and bear arms.

I'll miss out on some good places to visit, but there are plenty of things to see and do in other states.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I feel some of the replies are rediculas. I certainly travel to places before I could carry, and I'll certainly travel places still without carrying. Just because I may be denied the right to carry in some venues doesn't mean I'm willingly giving up all my rights to travel whenever and wherever I choose. that's a basic priviledge of freedom. If I choose to go to the Post Office, the sheriff's dept, a professional sports event, or any of the numerous places I'm not allowed to carry, I'm going. People slip, fall, and die in bathtubs and showers. So does one refuse to bathe because something bad might happen? I go where I choose to go because I want to, not because I can carry there. If I wish to see the Statute of Liberty, it isn't coming here to FL, so...

How do the song lyrics go? Paranoia runs deep, into the mind it will creep...

X2!
    Scary isn't it! We find comfort in carrying, but don't need to make it a crutch and rule your life....of course my opinion only. Now I'm done....

I try to avoid places where I cannot carry or have a weapon. Some of these places have restrictive knife laws also. Sometimes I have no choice but to go unarmed. Usually my only weapon is a sout pin. By the way the only placed I have been robbed is in NYC. Someone got into my hotel room while I was asleep. I happened to wake up and the perp ran out the door with me in persuit with my KBar. I looked pretty chasing that guy out of the lobby into the street in my BVDs. This was a nice hotel in the middle of Manhatten. He got away. I lost my travel money. I guees you can say I am overly paranoid.
    Semper Fi

I will not travel to a State where I cannot carry not out of fear but, as a statement that I will not spend money anywhere that does not recognize my rights.

Just as in AZ I will not spend money in any restaurant that posts!
    William Wallace
    Do not stand between Me and Mine!!

I have to travel to New Jersey every once in a while. It is unfortunate, but, it's family, weddings, etc. Not much I can do!

Cannot carry

NO I do not If my Oh and NH don;t cover the state I don't go if the store has a no gun sign I don;t shop there. My wife and I went car shopping and stopped at Honda I happend to notice a no gun sign posted way down on the bottom of their door and I was carring I left right then told them why went down the street to Toyata (NO Sign) and bought a new car my gain there loss

If I travel through oter States where I can't carry, it won't stop me. I will not however not spend any more money than I have to till I'm out of that State. Don't get me wrong, if there is something I want to see, I'll still spend time there, but move on as soon as I can.
    US ARMY Veteran 1965-1967 Vietnam 1966-1967
    WELCOME HOME TO ALL WHO SERVED, AND FOR THOSE STILL SERVING,
    A BIG THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE. FOR THOSE OF YOU DOWN RANGE
    WATCH YOUR 6, AND KEEP YOUR HEAD DOWN.
    A PATRIOT BELIEVES IN IT....A VETERAN LIVED IT

If I am on a road trip to or from my birthplace in pennsylvania I carry all the way except through maryland where my florida cwl is invalid though I can carry in all other states between.
    Keep your booger hook off the bang switch.
    It's faster to dial 3-5-7 than it is to dial 9-1-1.
    I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

Quote Originally Posted by fudo View Post
    I don't travel to states where my carry permit is not valid.
    Neither do I . I don't plan to spend any of my money in them. I want to go to some places where my family migrated and lived in over the last 324 yrs they have been here , but some of those states are very anti-gun , so.... I haven't gone to them.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Yep sure do, as I have flown to Hawai`i By way of Sacto CA or thru SeaTac, WA and while there, I just remember my suroundings and enjoy life.
    "Trouble Never Makes An Appointment"

I try not to, but it's pretty easy now. I live in WA, and have OR, NV and AZ permits. The only exception is CA. My girlfriend's family lives in NoCal, and I've only been there once. Felt weird, but when in Rome. . .

Of course, at the time I didn't have my OR permit either, wasn't a fan of going through there unarmed either. Especially considering how much night driving we did.

Quote Originally Posted by PatAz View Post
    I bring a firearm packed legally in states where I can't carry. We drive to Washington a lot so when we leave Arizona we are basically screwed. No carry in California, Oregon, or Washington.
    Just FYI, while we her in WA have a depressingly short list of states whose permits we recognize, our CPL is insanely easy to get. All you have to do is stop by any LEO and fill out a one page form, let them print you, and write a check for $56. If you have a permit in your home state, you already passed the background check.

Also, consider stopping by Grant County, OR and getting the OR permit. Also cut a check, get printed. They do have a training requirement, but your AZ training cert would probably qualify. If not, get your NRA Basic Pistol, it qualifies.

But you might wanna wait on OR, they're getting reciprocity soon from the looks of things.
    Last edited by livewire; March 28th, 2011 at 01:00 AM. Reason: Expanded info

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by Vtxdpm View Post
    For me (and many others on here) it has nothing to do with "paranoia". It has everything to do with not spending my time or money in a state that refuses to recognize our natural right to keep and bear arms.
    Do you really think your not spending money is going to have any effect on that state's laws?
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Links