Do you travel to states you cannot carry? - Page 5

Do you travel to states you cannot carry?

This is a discussion on Do you travel to states you cannot carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I live in Indiana and avoid IL like the plague....Ohio as well. Too bad they don't get all of my my $$ when I plan ...

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Do you travel to states you cannot carry?

I live in Indiana and avoid IL like the plague....Ohio as well. Too bad they don't get all of my my $$ when I plan a trip. :)
    Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Do you really think your not spending money is going to have any effect on that state's laws?
    Nope.

But that doesn't mean I'm going to support it out of futility either.

Very rare, but I did have to spend a month out in Oregon, last fall for work, I felt SO Naked with out my Weapon.
    02PSD4ME

I avoid it, but I still do so occasionally. Last year was an Alaskan cruise that took me to Canada and Alaska. This summer, I'll be attending my nephew's high school graduation on Cape Cod, spending 5 days in Massachusetts.

It feels weird but I do it.

Yup!!!
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    ----
    If not me, then who?

I travel across country East to West coast and back. My wife and I have ccw in NV(resident) and CT as non-resident. I cannot find a route that will allow us to carry in every state so I follow the law on transportation of firearms across state lines. I have emailed the NRA to help fight the reciprocity battle between states b/c I believe if my drivers license is valid in all 50 states, even abroad, my ccw should also be recognized in all 50 states. I do not let these inconsistant laws detour my travel plans and will use caution as my guide when not armed.

Carry what u shoot and shoot what u carry.

"I have emailed the NRA to help fight the reciprocity battle between states b/c I believe if my drivers license is valid in all 50 states, even abroad, my ccw should also be recognized in all 50 states."

Yes, if we let the Federal Government set the reciprocity laws, we will have standard laws for carry. (It will happen in all states only if the federal government forces it. Let us explore how this will pan out, based on all of our past experience with Federal Law.

1. It will have to have a model: The Congress always goes with the nearest and easiest (saves wasting time on exploring more than one option. Doesn't cut into vacation time.) The nearest and easiest is the one they already administer, Washington, D.C. This also keeps it demographically neutral, not favoring one section of the country over another.

2. It will have be cheap and easy to enforce. Requiring the least expenditure for additional agencies.

Result:

Washington, D.C. has some of the strictest handgun and carry codes on the books. Very few citizens in D.C. are allowed to carry. No carry is the easiest to enforce. There is no confusion, if you are stopped and have a gun on you have broken the law. Local law enforcement and State police can enforce this one easily. Have gun-Go to jail, even the Barney Fifes in the little towns can understand that.

Thus they will solve the problem of handgun carry reciprocity. All states will have the same rule. No carry.

Isn't it wonderful how the Federal Government can make our life so much better!

Isn't remarkable how many people still believe that?
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

aji
    I only visit/vacation in states that allow my wife and I to carry

I live in VA and have relatives that I visit in NH. There are only two states I drive through that have reciprocity with VA (WV, PA) - there are five states that don't (MD, NY, CT, MA, NH).
    Do I drive through these states? Of course. But I try to spend as little money in them as possible.

Bobo
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other"
    ~John Adams

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    Well, I can understand those that want to boycott "unfriendly" states. I also see the point that one shouldn't let not carrying dictate where they go. Fortunately, I can carry wherever, but prior to that, if I went to a state that didn't allow CC, I went anyways. H.R. 218 hasn't been in effect that long ago. Personally, I won't let that dictate where I go, but again, I understand those that would rather not.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Quote Originally Posted by PatAz View Post
    I bring a firearm packed legally in states where I can't carry. We drive to Washington a lot so when we leave Arizona we are basically screwed. No carry in California, Oregon, or Washington.
    Washington is a shall-issue state that issues permits to non-residents. Why not get a Washington permit? Or, get either a Utah (close to AZ) or Florida non-resident permit, both of which are honored in Washington.

Quote Originally Posted by livewire9880 View Post
    Also, consider stopping by Grant County, OR and getting the OR permit.
    It looks like PatAz is an Arizona resident. I thought Oregon doesn't issue non-resident permits to residents of states other than CA, NV, ID, and WA.

Quote Originally Posted by randian View Post
    It looks like PatAz is an Arizona resident. I thought Oregon doesn't issue non-resident permits to residents of states other than CA, NV, ID, and WA.
    You're correct, I was just looking at that myself. I must have thought he was an NV resident.

I do hear they're considering observing some other states' permits though, this could be very good news.

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    There are not any US states or territories where I cannot carry a firearm. However, I absolutely visit (for pleasure) other countries where, obviously, I cannot carry a firearm. I refuse to let fear dictate how I live my life. My firearm is simply a single tool for self-defense. It is not even my primary tool. My primary tool for self-defense is between my ears, and there is no country I have visited yet that won't allow me to bring my brain in. There are too many wonderful and fascinating places in the world to see. I don't want to miss them for need of a security blanket.
    Just my opinion,
    Gonzo
    MadMac, wmhawth and Chad Rogers like this.
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Yes, I do. I live in PA and have relatives that live in NY. No way I'm going to be able to carry in NY absent a radical change in NY's rules, and I'm not going to forego visiting my daughter and her family and my sister and her family that live there either. My solution was to teach them to shoot when they visited PA. They "all" now have concealed carry permits in NY. So while I'm not armed, they are.

Works for me.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Links