Do you travel to states you cannot carry?

This is a discussion on Do you travel to states you cannot carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Saber - if you're a retired Peace Officer from California, I was under the impression you could carry in all 50 states, or 53 from ...

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Do you travel to states you cannot carry?

Saber - if you're a retired Peace Officer from California, I was under the impression you could carry in all 50 states, or 53 from Obama.
    Uncle Dannie
    FOP Lodge 55, RPOAC, NRA Life Member

One of the keys to happiness is a bad memory

2. Remove Ads

We always stop at a local Police Department on the USA side and they will store your weapon . The down-side is that you have to return back to the place to retrieve them. DO NOT GO INTO Canada with any weapon. They don't care who you are or how many permits you have. Get caught and you go to jail. No questions.
    Uncle Dannie
    FOP Lodge 55, RPOAC, NRA Life Member

One of the keys to happiness is a bad memory

No. I no longer HAVE to travel so any vacation or trip is only to states that will recognize my Arkansas CCW permit. The cities and states that don't either don't need or don't want my money so, meager as it might be my money will be spent in places that respect my rights.

Same goes for business's, Any of them with a no carry sign don't get a dime from me or my family.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleDannie View Post
    We always stop at a local Police Department on the USA side and they will store your weapon . The down-side is that you have to return back to the place to retrieve them. DO NOT GO INTO Canada with any weapon. They don't care who you are or how many permits you have. Get caught and you go to jail. No questions.
    UncleDannie, does the local PD on the US side store your weapon for you because you are former LEO, or will they do that for any Texan with a CHL?
    Bill
    "If I were the Devil, I'd take from those who have and give to those who wanted until I had killed the incentive of the ambitious."-Paul Harvey, 1964

Quote Originally Posted by livewire9880 View Post
    WA isn't a "notify" state, and is an Open Carry state... but you can't have a loaded handgun in a vehicle without a permit.

We do take Utah and Florida though, if you have one of those.

CA and OR both require you secure your weapon though... last time I went to Cali, I just unloaded my revolver and locked it in a storage box in the back of the Blazer, since I don't have a trunk. Careful though, this doesn't get you around the "high capacity" magazine import law for CA if your Sig. Even without the gun in your possession, a +10 round magazine would get you in deep doodoo in CA.
    I don't understand. You were driving though California being used to loaded guns around and you complied? What? Very fooish! I lived in California for a LONG time. When on a road trip outside of maybe 30 miles away, I ALWAYS had a pistol in the car. Going to downtown Sacramento I often had one in the car too. Why risk getting killed in a stick up or carjacking if you don't have to? In California you just get used to playing California rules. Which are: Say nothing. Don't allow a search. Always deep conceal in the car. You have to have a weapon around and ready in spite of the communist related nature of the law there.

On a side note. If the pistol magazines or rifle magazines were made before 1994 or possibly later, I'm not sure of the exact year, then they're legal in spite of the magazine ban. I had some for a Browning High Power and some for a CZ75 which were earlier to that or near to that. No way they could prove otherwise. So if all you have is later made gear then stick to the revolvers, or smaller or older pistols. But if you deep conceal and do the other things they oughtn't know anyway. Bottom line, California can drop dead.

DMJ
    Last edited by Jollymann; July 22nd, 2012 at 11:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jollymann View Post
    I don't understand. You were driving though California being used to loaded guns around and you complied? What? Very fooish! I lived in California for a LONG time. When on a road trip outside of maybe 30 miles away, I ALWAYS had a pistol in the car. Going to downtown Sacramento I often had one in the car too. Why risk getting killed in a stick up or carjacking if you don't have to? In California you just get used to playing California rules. Which are: Say nothing. Don't allow a search. Always deep conceal in the car. You have to have a weapon around and ready in spite of the communist related nature of the law there.
    I only went in as far as Redding, so I didn't feel like I was really in any real danger. But... I also wouldn't want to deal with being 'found out', if some officer did come up with probable cause to do a search.
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

I haven't yet since getting my permit, but I would. Guns are tools, not my only form of defending myself.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Jollymann View Post

On a side note. If the pistol magazines or rifle magazines were made before 1994 or possibly later, I'm not sure of the exact year, then they're legal in spite of the magazine ban. I had some for a Browning High Power and some for a CZ75 which were earlier to that or near to that. No way they could prove otherwise. So if all you have is later made gear then stick to the revolvers, or smaller or older pistols. But if you deep conceal and do the other things they oughtn't know anyway. Bottom line, California can drop dead.

DMJ
    It is your choice to break laws but it does no service to the gun community and only serves to add fuel for those against us.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

It's not a matter of serving anyone but yourself. I don't need the moralizing either. I established my own patterns for my own well being and personal security when I lived there in California a long time ago. The bad laws aren't my fault. So many bad gun laws there, it's impossible not to break them. It's not a matter or breaking them or not. It's only a matter of how many and how often. Besides it's our duty to resist them in our own way and at our own time. Following impossible and tyranical gun laws is just not sensible or self-respecting. I think it's very easy to be "holier than thou" when you have a permit and are therefore in the system. So bugger all those unwashed, unapproved, little people who ought not dare to be armed when they feel it necessary or prudent. Those little people just do us no service. Oh but they often can't get a permit. Bugger them anyway. Oh but even if they can it's red tape for years perhaps, degrading and ridicules state courses, and excessive fees. Bugger them anyway. Let them eat cake!

If a guy knows what he's doing and he feels the need, no one has any business interfering with it. Not the state. Not permit holders. Not a cop. It's Constitutionally guaranteed, and that is all that matters. Everything else is complete rubbish and therefore void. Any cop who enforces such rotten gun laws is a traitor who ought to be tarred and feathered.

I think it's important to be in solidarity at the end of the day with the people who are denied those permits, and support their rights. That means not being snooty and looking down with your nose. Or telling them they're not worthy to carry discretely, since that is practically what is sensible for them to do. You have to simply play your best game. In California, I played a certain way. Here in Ariziona I play a better way. I believe in cutting out legal risk. Even if that means having a permit for sometimes. But I beleive in dignity too and not being a slave to the draconian state.

DMJ

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Links