Do you travel to states you cannot carry?

This is a discussion on Do you travel to states you cannot carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Now that i have had my carry permit for about one year now, i find myself not traveling to places where i cannot carry. I ...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Do you travel to states you cannot carry?

Now that i have had my carry permit for about one year now, i find myself not traveling to places where i cannot carry. I dont want to say i am paranoid now about not being able to carry my sidearm, but i have to admit i am a bit nervous. I understand that your SA is your best defense anyways, but do you feel the same? I have a friend that always wants me to go to New York City with her, and i politely decline every time and make excuses... i live in NYS, but NYC is a no no in terms of conceal carry. Bunker
    "6 P's of self defense "
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

I don't travel to states where my carry permit is not valid.
    AZDaven and Dutch1951 like this.
    War to the knife, knife to the hilt.

There are three kinds of people, sheep, sheepdogs, and wolves. If you don't understand this, you're a sheep.

Are you a turtle?

I live only 22 miles from Hagerstown, MD where the shopping is better ( wider selection) but since they do not allow me to carry on my WV permit I shop in WV.
    Member:USCCA, NRA, GOA, WVCDL
    U.S. Navy vet 1955-1959, USS Dashiell DD 659. Glock 19, Ruger LCP, Ruger .357 Mag.
    When you are at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.

Nope. I have OH, NH, and PA permits. I won't go where I can't carry on one of them. I have a daughter and grandkids in the "peoples republic of Illinois", and I won't go vist them because I can't take my gun! They come visit my wife and I in Ohio.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

I go on vacation and leave my guns at home if I have to, firearms are only one form of self defense you need to be alert and have other options available. Hows the quote go? My mind is my greatest weapon, everything else is merely an accessory.
    DaveJay, JerryMac, Ogre and 2 others like this.

VIP Member
    Yes I do and no, it doesn’t feel good. I grew up in San Diego and I went on to become a peace officer in SoCal. Even back then you needed to have a permit to carry. Today, I still love San Diego and I always fantasize of living near the beach. Still, I’ll likely keep my home address in a State that recognizes my right to life is a good enough reason to legally carry.
    Last edited by Saber; March 26th, 2011 at 02:26 PM.
    JerryMac likes this.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Wow, I have to say it does sound like you're a little paranoid. I don't know how you let a firearm dictate confidence in your safety! Obviously, you'll miss out on a lot of things.

NYC, it's a great city to visit even unarmed. I also live in NYS and not afraid of the big city...heck, it's probably safer than my city of Rochester. I'm on vacation in Florida right now and even unarmed...left the gun at home.

Get a grip guys.....

Yes, if there's something I want to visit and carry is prohibited I rely on other tools for safety and self defense. A gun is not a magic talisman that guarantees the outcome of bad situations. Having it is comforting but not a deal breaker for going to another state.
    limatunes and CAS_Shooter like this.

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    I went to Las Vegas a few weeks ago. My permit is valid there, oc is allowed and I still left my weapon at home. I did travel out of the tourism area and felt a bit uncomfortable, but I did not let not having a firearm dictate how my trip went.

Sent from my EVO via Tapatalk pro.
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by GJ44 View Post
    Wow, I have to say it does sound like you're a little paranoid. I don't know how you let a firearm dictate confidence in your safety! Obviously, you'll miss out on a lot of things.

NYC, it's a great city to visit even unarmed. I also live in NYS and not afraid of the big city...heck, it's probably safer than my city of Rochester. I'm on vacation in Florida right now and even unarmed...left the gun at home.

Get a grip guys.....
    - Same here. I don't let my ability to carry a weapon dictate my life. There are too many places and things I want to experience to avoid them out of fear. I go to work 8 hours a day where I am not allowed to carry and I have not once thought of looking for another job.
    MadMac, limatunes and CAS_Shooter like this.

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    I don't let fear stop me from going places I cannot carry. Life is too short to live within the narrow confines of not being able to see the world except on my terms.
    limatunes likes this.

I have to travel to New York for several months each year and can't even think about touching a pistol while there. Very depressing and unfair. If I could avoid going, I would.

If I can't carry there, I don't spend any money there...including gas $$.
    I've taken the extra time to drive 'around' IL rather than drive thru it...I"m just sayin'.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I'm just glad IL is kind of a skinny state and doesn't take too long to traverse if traveling on I-70. I gas up in St. Louis and secure my guns before making the charge across the state without stopping.

If I had business in a non-carry state I would rely on other tools for defense just like all the others who live there, but fortunately I haven't had reason to really hang around in any states which don't honor my Missouri permit. Other than driving through IL without stopping, I've never traveled to a state who is anti-gun.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I try not to but then again I don't travel as much as I would like to. This last Thanksgiving I went to California to.visit family and absolutely hated leaving my guns at home. Southern California and especially Venice Beach were areas I really felt the need to carry.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Links