Extra mags - Page 2

Extra mags

This is a discussion on Extra mags within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Good question. Boils down I guess to whatever the person feels most comfortable with. It is also another reason to have one in the pipe. ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 62
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Extra mags

  1. #16
    Senior Member Array DaRedneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    628
    Good question. Boils down I guess to whatever the person feels most comfortable with. It is also another reason to have one in the pipe. In the event of a mag malfuction at least you have one shot and even then it may not go BANG.
    "He who does not punish evil commands it to be done." - Leonardo da Vinci


  2. #17
    VIP Member Array rammerjammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Posts
    3,489
    I carry an extra magazine unless I'm carrying my LCP as a bug, which is the fastest reload I know. Whether one calls it paranoid or being prepared,, I don't care.

  3. #18
    Member Array Goldstar225's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Central Arkansas
    Posts
    149
    With my Glock 23 off-duty I usually don't carry a spare because (1) in 8 years it's never jammed and (2) the bulk of the spare when wearing summer wear. With a single stack or revolver I carry a spare mag or speedstrip. I find a single stack magazine or speed strip so easy to carry that I see no good reason not to.
    Old School likes this.

  4. #19
    Member Array BadgerMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    261
    Something else to keep in mind, I recall reading on another forum about a gentleman who had a baseplate snag either on the edge of a chair or possibly in some latticework that made up the back of it. Either way, the baseplate was broken off and he did not have a spare, leaving him with a one shot pistol. This sort of thing seems like a one-in-a-million shot of bad luck, but it ought to reinforce the fact that things don't always go as we like. That being said, everyone has to make their own judgements as to the potential risks and rewards of their current carry setup.

  5. #20
    VIP Member Array First Sgt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Florence, SC
    Posts
    7,967
    Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Not wanting to rock any boats and have no problem with everyone doing whatever they feel comfortable with. Quite frankly, though, if you are a just a citizen going about your daily business like the majority of people, and live in a decent neighborhood and in a decent community with nice neighbors, why in the world you need an extra anything is beyond me. If it is not over after the first mag, you are probably dead already, or, in hindsight, should never have been whereever you are. If your community is that bad I truly feel bad for you. Just laugh or shake your head if you disagree---that's fine---just sayin.
    As YOU say, I have no problem with folks doing whatever they feel comfortable with. Since I'm in South Carolina as well, may I point out to you that NORTH CHARLESTON is ranked #10 in the WORST/MOST UNSAFE cities in the nation. Now, I don't know what part of Charleston you happen to live, but since Charleston is not what I would call a huge city, I think I'd be considering "what if" in the event there was some spillover of BG's from North Charleston into my neighborhood. Just Sayin!!!!

    I personally carry two spare mags DAILY. Not that I think I will need 46 rounds in an emergency, but simply to plan for ANY unexpected happenings in an emergency, whether it be round number, bad ammo, mechanical failures, etc. I was taught, HAVE A PLAN...HAVE A BACKUP PLAN FOR WHEN THE PLAN FAILS...

    There are basically three types of people:
    * It willnever happen to me - the fools.
    * It might happen to me - the prepared.
    * It is going to happen to me - the paranoid.

    I choose to be prepared. JMO
    brylow likes this.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

  6. #21
    New Member Array toymaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    3
    I carry a little Kahr PM9. I always carry two spare magazines in my back pocket in a nylon knife sheath. The mags are so small that carrying a couple extra is a no brainer and it only takes maybe an extra second or two to stick those mags into my back pocket.

    I've never seen it written anywhere in the criminals code of honor where they have agreed to:

    1) limit their criminal activity to only so called bad neighborhoods.

    2) unilaterally turn and run whenever a potential victim merely presents a gun.

    3) stand there like a paper target and allow themselves to be double tapped center mass several times.

    4) stop what they're doing and drop to the ground immediately after being shot.

    5) not travel in packs of two or more.


    So, I'll continue carrying reloads for my carry guns..
    OD* likes this.

  7. #22
    VIP Member Array Harryball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Lansing Mi
    Posts
    7,302
    Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Not wanting to rock any boats and have no problem with everyone doing whatever they feel comfortable with. Quite frankly, though, if you are a just a citizen going about your daily business like the majority of people, and live in a decent neighborhood and in a decent community with nice neighbors, why in the world you need an extra anything is beyond me. If it is not over after the first mag, you are probably dead already, or, in hindsight, should never have been whereever you are. If your community is that bad I truly feel bad for you. Just laugh or shake your head if you disagree---that's fine---just sayin.
    I agree, each to his own. However kind sir, you should re-consider carrying a weapon. Going about it half-assed is going to get you and or one of your family members hurt should the need present itself.
    brylow likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

    Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

  8. #23
    Member Array Top Strap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Walterboro SC
    Posts
    87
    Quote Originally Posted by First Sgt View Post
    As YOU say, I have no problem with folks doing whatever they feel comfortable with. Since I'm in South Carolina as well, may I point out to you that NORTH CHARLESTON is ranked #10 in the WORST/MOST UNSAFE cities in the nation. Now, I don't know what part of Charleston you happen to live, but since Charleston is not what I would call a huge city, I think I'd be considering "what if" in the event there was some spillover of BG's from North Charleston into my neighborhood. Just Sayin!!!!

    I personally carry two spare mags DAILY. Not that I think I will need 46 rounds in an emergency, but simply to plan for ANY unexpected happenings in an emergency, whether it be round number, bad ammo, mechanical failures, etc. I was taught, HAVE A PLAN...HAVE A BACKUP PLAN FOR WHEN THE PLAN FAILS...

    There are basically three types of people:
    * It willnever happen to me - the fools.
    * It might happen to me - the prepared.
    * It is going to happen to me - the paranoid.

    I choose to be prepared. JMO
    I live outside Walterboro, nuff said.

  9. #24
    Member Array alnitak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    371
    Quote Originally Posted by First Sgt View Post
    I personally carry two spare mags DAILY. Not that I think I will need 46 rounds in an emergency, but simply to plan for ANY unexpected happenings in an emergency, whether it be round number, bad ammo, mechanical failures, etc. I was taught, HAVE A PLAN...HAVE A BACKUP PLAN FOR WHEN THE PLAN FAILS...

    There are basically three types of people:
    * It willnever happen to me - the fools.
    * It might happen to me - the prepared.
    * It is going to happen to me - the paranoid.

    I choose to be prepared. JMO
    Nobody can be COMPLETELY prepared for ANY contingency. No matter the area, we all make decisions about a reasonable level of preparedness. Do you wear body armor all day? Do you carry an extra firing pin or recoil spring? Do you carry a dowel and hammer in case you get a squib load? Do you carry an extra knife in case the blade breaks? Do you carry a bug-out-bag in case the big one hits or an earthquake occurs? If so, is it a basic kit, or does it include everything (food, medical, etc.) you would need to survive for 30 days? Do you have a spare key for your car in case you lose yours, or carry a BUG in case the assailant grabs your weapon? Do you carry a few hundred in cash in case you need it? Do you carry a crutch in case you break your leg? Do you have a spare gas can in the car in case you run out, or extra belts/hoses in case they break and leave you stranded? Do you...?

    My point is, no one can be prepared for ANY situation ALL the time. We all make decisions based on the odds of the event occuring, assessment of the threat and risk, the odds of a malfunction, the anticipated circumstances, etc. Then we make a decision on what to carry based on that evaluation. And those circumstances, risks, and ability (or willingness) to carry needed items to address those situations (either partially or completely) vary from person to person. There is no one right answer, despite the tone a couple posters took. It is all about trade-offs. To berate people for not following YOUR decision is just wrong. I am MORE prepared by carrying my PM9 -- even without a spare mag -- than I am without. Are you more prepared than me? Maybe -- at least in that one area. But to imply I am a "fool" for not carrying, e.g., two extra mags, is just not right. Neither should people get on their high horse and tell someone not to carry at all because they aren't doing it the "correct" way according to them. We really need to watch the rhetoric being thrown around.
    brylow likes this.

  10. #25
    VIP Member
    Array atctimmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    NSA Headquarters
    Posts
    6,428
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    I agree, each to his own. However kind sir, you should re-consider carrying a weapon. Going about it half-assed is going to get you and or one of your family members hurt should the need present itself.
    Right!!!! Because being unarmed would be much safer and more effective should the need arise. Here, here! Pip, pip, cheerio and all that!
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

  11. #26
    VIP Member Array Guantes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    5,272
    Very simple, really. You do what you do and I do what I do.
    Old School likes this.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

  12. #27
    VIP Member Array Harryball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Lansing Mi
    Posts
    7,302
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Right!!!! Because being unarmed would be much safer and more effective should the need arise. Here, here! Pip, pip, cheerio and all that!
    I guess my point was missed. His mentality will get him and or his family members hurt. You might want to re-read his post. If he really thinks that a fight will be over with only one clip, then you are right. Here, Here! Pip, pip, and cheerio.....But we do not train to have it done with just one mag do we???? We train to stop the threat...That may include a reload. Once again to each his own, but I will not be party to half ass training, and notions that the BG will go down right away.
    Last edited by Harryball; March 29th, 2011 at 12:30 PM.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

    Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

  13. #28
    Ex Member Array BikerRN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    State of Discombobulation
    Posts
    5,253
    I was hoping someone could explain to me why they only carry an extra mag in certain situations?
    Because many people view a gun as a talisman.

    Biker

  14. #29
    VIP Member Array First Sgt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Florence, SC
    Posts
    7,967
    Quote Originally Posted by alnitak View Post
    Nobody can be COMPLETELY prepared for ANY contingency. No matter the area, we all make decisions about a reasonable level of preparedness. Do you wear body armor all day? Do you carry an extra firing pin or recoil spring? Do you carry a dowel and hammer in case you get a squib load? Do you carry an extra knife in case the blade breaks? Do you carry a bug-out-bag in case the big one hits or an earthquake occurs? If so, is it a basic kit, or does it include everything (food, medical, etc.) you would need to survive for 30 days? Do you have a spare key for your car in case you lose yours, or carry a BUG in case the assailant grabs your weapon? Do you carry a few hundred in cash in case you need it? Do you carry a crutch in case you break your leg? Do you have a spare gas can in the car in case you run out, or extra belts/hoses in case they break and leave you stranded? Do you...?

    My point is, no one can be prepared for ANY situation ALL the time. We all make decisions based on the odds of the event occuring, assessment of the threat and risk, the odds of a malfunction, the anticipated circumstances, etc. Then we make a decision on what to carry based on that evaluation. And those circumstances, risks, and ability (or willingness) to carry needed items to address those situations (either partially or completely) vary from person to person. There is no one right answer, despite the tone a couple posters took. It is all about trade-offs. To berate people for not following YOUR decision is just wrong. I am MORE prepared by carrying my PM9 -- even without a spare mag -- than I am without. Are you more prepared than me? Maybe -- at least in that one area. But to imply I am a "fool" for not carrying, e.g., two extra mags, is just not right. Neither should people get on their high horse and tell someone not to carry at all because they aren't doing it the "correct" way according to them. We really need to watch the rhetoric being thrown around.
    Sir...I certainly do appreciate you taking the time to express your feelings in regards to the OP's topic of "EXTRA MAGS", as well as throwing in numerous other areas that you felt necessary to point out potential preparation. Glad to see you are thinking about as many possibilities as you can. Although I can answer YES to some of your prep thoughts I.E. Bug Out Bag, extra belts/hoses, I have to admit that I had to answer NO to some of the others that you so kindly brought up. I do agree it is all about trade-offs as you pointed out. With that being said...let me say that I did NOT berate anyone for their choices. Perhaps you need to go back and reread my original post to the topic. I merely pointed out the danger of the town in which the person lived and the possibility of things happening, based on statistical probility. I expressed respect for his decision and in the same breath, stated MY decisions and why, which included the example of 3 types of people... These forums are available to us to express our OPINIONS both agreeing and dissenting. If you feel someone is "berating" another because they have a dissenting opinion, then I do apologize for the fact that I may have giving you opportunity to arrive at your conclusion incorrectly. Although I do enjoy riding, I normally do not take my "High Horse" out of the barn. I leave him at home where he belongs and perhaps you, as the self-appointed monitor of conversation, should consider doing the same. I personally will leave it up to the Moderators to correct me IF I have posted something offensive and against the rules. I think the only one throwing "rhetoric" around was the hall monitor making the corrections. Regards to you sir.... Stay safe and be prepared...
    OD* likes this.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

  15. #30
    Member Array alnitak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    371
    I am not a "self-appointed monitor of conversation"...and the high horse comment was not directed towards you but another poster. Having said that, you did imply that I was a "fool" for not meeting your criteria for "prepared."

    Enough said on the subject. Everyone needs to assess and define their level of preparedness based on their environment, situation, level of comfort, etc.. I am here to learn from others' experiences and factor their analysis and decisions into my own. However, there's no one size fits all, and no need to put down people who don't agree with one's personal opinion.
    RemMod597 likes this.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

bug carrier
,
high capacity magazine for ruger lc9
,
lc9 high capacity magazine
,
lcp high capacity magazine
,
raven concealment mag pouches
,

raven eclipse holster

,

ruger lc9 high capacity magazine

,

ruger lcp high capacity magazine

,
ruger lcp high-cap magazine
,
ruger lcp magazine high capacity
,
ruger lcp magazine holder
,
ruger lcp magazine holster
Click on a term to search for related topics.

» Log in

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» DefensiveCarry Sponsors