Extra mags - Page 4

Extra mags

This is a discussion on Extra mags within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am new to the carrying crew and never thought about carrying an extra mag. I have seen some very good points on this matter ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 62
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Extra mags

  1. #46
    Member Array shyguy122577's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    24
    I am new to the carrying crew and never thought about carrying an extra mag. I have seen some very good points on this matter from this thread. I am very curious as to where people put this extra mag on a daily basis. I know my XD 40 came with a mag holder that goes on the belt but i couldn't wear that on the warmer weather. DO you keep it in your pocket, in the car, have a special holster?


  2. #47
    VIP Member Array Guantes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    5,272
    Mexican carry right in front of the off side hip bone.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

  3. #48
    Member Array Lyndo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    244
    Left front pocket, the other things in my pocket keep it in position and I practice reloading from there.
    Glock 36, 30SF, 31, 32, 21 Gen4 - Carry guns
    Ruger Mini-14 and Remington 870 by the bed both wearing Surefire lights.
    Always carry a knife-they are handy to have
    Always carry a reload-You probably won't need it but it is good insurance .
    Always carry a light- To see in the dark

  4. #49
    Member Array brylow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    SE Michigan
    Posts
    38
    Well in my humble estimation a reload should always be carried no matter on type of weapon. Or carry a New York reload, or better yet a an extra mag and a back up gun. Over kill? No I worked the streets of a major city, and I know what happens under stress and when you add multiple attackers or a REALLY BAD area!!!
    Harryball likes this.

  5. #50
    Moderator
    Array Bark'n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    West Central Missouri
    Posts
    9,917
    Quote Originally Posted by shyguy122577 View Post
    I am new to the carrying crew and never thought about carrying an extra mag. I have seen some very good points on this matter from this thread. I am very curious as to where people put this extra mag on a daily basis. I know my XD 40 came with a mag holder that goes on the belt but i couldn't wear that on the warmer weather. DO you keep it in your pocket, in the car, have a special holster?
    I carry my reloads in a variety of places depending on what I'm carrying and what I'm wearing.

    The thing is, when carrying a gun becomes a way of life and a lifestyle, instead of a novelty you become more committed to learning how to dress around your lifesaving gear. You will naturally acquire more ways to carry your gear and experiment with what works best and what doesn't. It happens over a period of time and often times happens through trial and error. It takes time and money to acquire all the accessories one needs which works well at keeping you properly equipped, and keep your lifesaving tools secure and concealed.

    Often times the reloads go in my weak side front pocket (but always in a pocket magazine carrier to prevent damage to the feed lips and collecting pocket lint which might otherwise cause a malfunction).

    While I don't like to ankle carry a gun, I do have an ankle rig for spare magazines which works well. It also has a pouch for cash & ID or credit cards. I wear this a lot when traveling out of town and on vacation.

    One of the latest rigs I got about a 18 months ago carries two spare reloads for my primary ccw (XD9sc) plus my BUG (Ruger LCP). I really love it when I am wearing appropriate clothing which is worn IWB on the weak side. It is modular so it can be converted to be tuckable, OWB or just with one spare magazine instead of two. When using this rig, I carry one spare Ruger LCP mag for my BUG in a DeSantis Nemisis mag carrier in my front pocket.

    Eclipse Modular BUG Holster at Raven Concealment (You have to order the mag carrier separately and mounting hardware to mount it to the BUG holster)

    Last edited by Bark'n; April 3rd, 2011 at 02:06 AM. Reason: Added link to source of holster in photo!
    brylow and paullie like this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi


    "The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

  6. #51
    Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    charleston, SC
    Posts
    1,891
    Answering a few repliers.
    Hey Harry: I do CC, usually when I am in my car (I think road rage situations are a real what if) and when I am visiting people at night. Cannot wait for SC to change rules on CC in restaurants/alcohol serving--most bothersome is the 10PM stroll back to my parked car, which bothers me the most as far as situational awareness and what if is concerned.
    Hey 1st Sgt: I live in Mt. Pleasant and consider situational awareness my best friend. Situational awareness before the fact means I do not go to ATM machines at night, I do not walk around N. Charleston at night, and I do not travel to Walterboro at night-etal. I park in lighted places, I am always aware of my surroundings and never in my 69 years, most in NY/NJ have I ever had or felt a need for CC. Some may call it luck---I do not and therein lies my comments vs others on this forum. I purchased and actually handled my first firearm only 2 years ago and really did so not so much for self defense in the community but just because 2A and SC say I can; I have complete distrust in a federal government that is a short hop, IMO, from Germany 1930, and I will not be a sheep like my fellow Jews.
    Hey y'all: Like I said before, have had it. Carry a satchel with hundreds of rounds if it makes you feel better. Whatever you want to do, as long as it does not infringe on my take on life--have at it. It is that infringement that is the big problem in this country. A government that literally is taking over our entire lives and, in my small way with my ability to own and carry a firearm, I am telling them that if they want to start up at my front door, someone besides me will be pay the price. To whatever extent you forum members discuss, agree or disagree on topics, we all share the responsibility and ownership of CC and I truly believe that at the end of the day, the way this country and its girly man fraud are heading, the true meaning behind 2A may very well become evident. I do not think that my extra mag or speedloader will make a difference; it may stall the inevitable but that is about it. God Bless y'all and God Bless America---a curse on this federal government and its girly man.
    INccwchris likes this.

  7. #52
    New Member Array fuzzydba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    North Corolina
    Posts
    8
    Well, until last weekend I never saw the direct NEED for an extra magazine. I always carried a spare 10-rounder "just in case" but never had a "reason".

    Last weekend my G26 with a 12-round mag (13 rounds "ready") fell when I was getting the car loaded. Naturally it fell on the "+2" portion of the magazine... The "+2" magazine end-cap snapped off and 12 rounds were all over the ground, as well as the follower and the mag spring. I quickly dropped that magazine, slapped the 10-round backup magazine in place, and picked up the rounds on the fround, the follower, etc. I NEVER FOUND THE SPRING!

    Was the fact that there were 'rounds-on-the-ground' my fault; absolutely, but it does happen.

    Do I carry a spare magazine for a reason? ABSOLUTELY.

    - - - - -
    My backup is my trusty 1911. Heavy, reliable, accurate, and hard-hitting. It was already in the car in "it's mobile home"! :-)

  8. #53
    VIP Member Array shockwave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,050
    Was the fact that there were 'rounds-on-the-ground' my fault; absolutely, but it does happen.
    In all my years of gun ownership, I've never dropped a firearm on the ground, I've never broken one such that bullets are scattered all over the ground, etc. Your mileage may vary.

    Went to the range yesterday just to work with my CCW, and realized about halfway there that I only had the 10-rd mag with me. I'd planned to bring two 17s and a spare 10 mag, too. At no time did I feel as if I were in danger, only having 10+1 with me. In most real-life conceivable scenarios, the problem isn't going to be running out of bullets or having some malfunction whereby foresight in having extra magazines will save the day. Rather, the challenge will be recognizing the threat in time and managing to get your gun out and on target in time.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

  9. #54
    VIP Member Array Harryball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Lansing Mi
    Posts
    7,485
    Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Answering a few repliers.
    Hey Harry: I do CC, usually when I am in my car (I think road rage situations are a real what if) and when I am visiting people at night. Cannot wait for SC to change rules on CC in restaurants/alcohol serving--most bothersome is the 10PM stroll back to my parked car, which bothers me the most as far as situational awareness and what if is concerned.
    Hey 1st Sgt: I live in Mt. Pleasant and consider situational awareness my best friend. Situational awareness before the fact means I do not go to ATM machines at night, I do not walk around N. Charleston at night, and I do not travel to Walterboro at night-etal. I park in lighted places, I am always aware of my surroundings and never in my 69 years, most in NY/NJ have I ever had or felt a need for CC. Some may call it luck---I do not and therein lies my comments vs others on this forum. I purchased and actually handled my first firearm only 2 years ago and really did so not so much for self defense in the community but just because 2A and SC say I can; I have complete distrust in a federal government that is a short hop, IMO, from Germany 1930, and I will not be a sheep like my fellow Jews.
    Hey y'all: Like I said before, have had it. Carry a satchel with hundreds of rounds if it makes you feel better. Whatever you want to do, as long as it does not infringe on my take on life--have at it. It is that infringement that is the big problem in this country. A government that literally is taking over our entire lives and, in my small way with my ability to own and carry a firearm, I am telling them that if they want to start up at my front door, someone besides me will be pay the price. To whatever extent you forum members discuss, agree or disagree on topics, we all share the responsibility and ownership of CC and I truly believe that at the end of the day, the way this country and its girly man fraud are heading, the true meaning behind 2A may very well become evident. I do not think that my extra mag or speedloader will make a difference; it may stall the inevitable but that is about it. God Bless y'all and God Bless America---a curse on this federal government and its girly man.
    Your attitude is much like my fathers. He is 65. He feels that his sp101 loaded up and ready to go will be enough. No matter how hard I try he will not carry extra rounds. His words are much like yours "Ive lived this long without anything happening, why should I start now" believe me, I understand what you are saying.

    That doesnt change my core beliefs on the subject. The reason I train so hard is not to be a ninja, but to have the proper skill set just in case I need it. With an auto you might need that mag, you might need two. To limit ones self just because you believe your safe is wrong. That mindset will get people hurt. When we decided to strap on a gun, we made the decision to live to a higher standard of judgment. I wish everyone would take it that serious, but they wont. Its hard to say it all in text. I hope and pray none of you will ever have to use your gun in a situation, but for me, I will continue my journey. Having been there once, twice will not be on there terms.
    brylow likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

    Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

  10. #55
    Senior Member Array mastercapt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    502
    My $.02 ( or maybe $.04.
    There are those on this website who habitually carry:
    Primary gun
    Backup gun (or maybe 2)
    extra magazines/speedloaders for all guns
    Knife
    OC spray
    Flashlight
    cellphone
    Etc, Etc
    It all boils down to whatever you are comfortable with and your perceived threat level.

    Normal carry for me is either a 642 or Colt mustang. The 642 has 5 +p SWCJHP rounds, and the Mustang 6 in the mag and one in the tube.
    In my vehicle is have a full size 9. I have 2 mags because it came with them. One is hydrashok PD ammo, and the other 135 Gr FMJ.
    I could carry the 9 IWB, the 642 pocket and the mustang ankle holster. If I needed all that, I'll not go there.
    Studies have shown if you don't get the bad guy(s) in 3 shots, they got you.
    The chances of a robber on the street or in a store, or a road rage are real. My neighborhood does not rate a home invasion.
    So, for me the choise of the two carry guns are sufficient.

  11. #56
    Moderator
    Array Bark'n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    West Central Missouri
    Posts
    9,917
    Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
    At no time did I feel as if I were in danger, only having 10+1 with me. In most real-life conceivable scenarios, the problem isn't going to be running out of bullets or having some malfunction whereby foresight in having extra magazines will save the day. Rather, the challenge will be recognizing the threat in time and managing to get your gun out and on target in time.
    Maybe it's just me, but you seem to be rather short sighted merely because you have never had anything adverse happen to one of your weapons at a critical moment. If you can't think of a scenario where such things can happen, all the evidence in the world would likely not convince you otherwise. As always, people are going to make their own decisions based on their perceived threat and hope they are up to the challenge if things happen outside the box.

    As always, I wish everyone here all the luck in the world in never having to face a moment when they have a need to use their weapons.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi


    "The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

  12. #57
    Senior Member Array BkCo1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    1,095
    I use to carry revolver untill I got into a situation in a bar in the CA desert. I didn't have enough bullets to go around. When I got home I went looking for a high capacity pistol.
    I carry an autoloader with two spare mags now.
    Shy, I carry my mags in a custom magazine holder at nine oclock. You learn to work around your tools.
    Semper Fi
    brylow likes this.

  13. #58
    Member Array paullie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    kansas
    Posts
    358
    Quote Originally Posted by fuzzydba View Post
    Well, until last weekend I never saw the direct NEED for an extra magazine. I always carried a spare 10-rounder "just in case" but never had a "reason".

    Last weekend my G26 with a 12-round mag (13 rounds "ready") fell when I was getting the car loaded. Naturally it fell on the "+2" portion of the magazine... The "+2" magazine end-cap snapped off and 12 rounds were all over the ground, as well as the follower and the mag spring. I quickly dropped that magazine, slapped the 10-round backup magazine in place, and picked up the rounds on the fround, the follower, etc. I NEVER FOUND THE SPRING!



    Was the fact that there were 'rounds-on-the-ground' my fault; absolutely, but it does happen.

    Do I carry a spare magazine for a reason? ABSOLUTELY.

    - - - - -
    My backup is my trusty 1911. Heavy, reliable, accurate, and hard-hitting. It was already in the car in "it's mobile home"! :-)

    is this normal? or just a freak thing im not glock guy but this sounds like a serious defect?????????

  14. #59
    Moderator
    Array Bark'n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    West Central Missouri
    Posts
    9,917
    Quote Originally Posted by paullie View Post
    is this normal? or just a freak thing im not glock guy but this sounds like a serious defect?????????
    The "+2" magazine extension in question is an aftermarket part which replaces the factory floor plate of the magazine. It could have been a Glock, a SIG, a Beretta or any brand of gun. The gun had nothing to do with it. Aftermarket parts break. Heck even OEM parts break. Especially when dropped on a hard surface with sufficient enough force and weight.

    Not necessarily a serious defect. I doubt it would have broke if he had ejected an empty magazine from the gun. They are not designed to be dropped onto a hard surface with the weight of a fully loaded magazine, let alone the added weight of having the entire gun attached to it as well. A lot of people won't put aftermarket gizmo's on their weapons for just that reason.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi


    "The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

  15. #60
    New Member Array fuzzydba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    North Corolina
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by paullie View Post
    is this normal? or just a freak thing im not glock guy but this sounds like a serious defect?????????
    The +2 is an extension made by Glock for their mags. With the small 26 or 27 It gives the your pinky someplace to ride, otherwise it rides under the 10-round magazine. I've never had this happen with the standard floor-plate so I'm going back to the standard floor-plate (10-round mag) or will be using the G19 mags with the sleeves. They work, they just aren't as concealable.

    And yes, this is the 1st time in 50+ years that I actually had "rounds-on-the-ground". I wasn't happy about it then or now, but it can happen.

    - - - - -
    My favorite, the 1911, is just a little too heavy and large for easy concealment, especially at the beach!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

bug carrier
,
high capacity magazine for ruger lc9
,
lc9 high capacity magazine
,
lcp high capacity magazine
,
raven concealment mag pouches
,

raven eclipse holster

,

ruger lc9 high capacity magazine

,

ruger lcp high capacity magazine

,
ruger lcp high-cap magazine
,
ruger lcp magazine high capacity
,
ruger lcp magazine holder
,
ruger lcp magazine holster
Click on a term to search for related topics.