Extra mags

This is a discussion on Extra mags within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was hoping someone could explain to me why they only carry an extra mag in certain situations? Would you only carry a spare tire ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Extra mags

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar

Extra mags

I was hoping someone could explain to me why they only carry an extra mag in certain situations? Would you only carry a spare tire on certain trips? The way I see it a gun is a piece of machinery, highly specialized, highly technical machinery. What good is the machine if a part breaks. The number one reason a semi-auto handgun fails is a bad magazine. So if not for the ammo, but for the risk of malfunction does it not make sense to carry at least one mag extra? I even know people who go so far as to say if they need a reload to go somewhere it is somewhere that they will avoid like its the plague. Well if I knew I was going somewhere where I would need a gun I would avoid if like the plague. Just because you have a gun on your hip is not enough to deter every criminal, an extra reload makes sense in all but the most extreme of concealment situations. For example I only carry spare mags for my primary at work, but not my backup. The chances of two guns malfunctioning are so small that I will risk it. The chance of a mag malfunctioning are much much higher especially if you only have one. If thats your personal choice to not carry a reload, thats fine, not knocking you. I just thought it was odd that so many people will carry a gun for protection, but not an added piece of hardware for that gun to keep it operating if they have to use it
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

2. Remove Ads

I think most of the time, people are speaking of an "extra reload" (meaning two mags in addition to the one in the gun), most of us are aware that common sense dictates that we carry at least one reload of some type. I know of few people that do not carry a reload at all.

Maybe they feel that there is such a small chance of even needing to use their gun, it is too much of a "hassle" to carry an extra magazine. From my perspective a lot of times it is a training issue, because I have seen a lot of "If I can't get it done with X number of Y Caliber rounds, then the extra magazine won't help (or insert other saying here)" They see it as a round count issue, as opposed to a malfunction issue. That is once again, the general impression I seem to get off here.

But I tend to carry 2 extra mags for my carry, or a speed strip if it is a j-frame day.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

With shot placement being number one....well you get the idea.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    shot placement is all well and good, but research has shown that two rounds at a minimum is reccomended to stop most threats, the first round breaks the breast bone and the second penetrates the heart, lungs and other vitals, so your first shot placement only does so much good if it does not penetrate after striking the breastplate and a second round is needed but your mag malfunctions and you do not have a second mag. Revolvers do not have this issue.
    brylow likes this.
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    The number one reason a semi-auto handgun fails is a bad magazine.
    Would you give a reference to this? From what I have seen ammo or limp wrist issues have caused more malfunctions than magazines.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Not wanting to rock any boats and have no problem with everyone doing whatever they feel comfortable with. Quite frankly, though, if you are a just a citizen going about your daily business like the majority of people, and live in a decent neighborhood and in a decent community with nice neighbors, why in the world you need an extra anything is beyond me. If it is not over after the first mag, you are probably dead already, or, in hindsight, should never have been whereever you are. If your community is that bad I truly feel bad for you. Just laugh or shake your head if you disagree---that's fine---just sayin.
    mr.stuart and Snatale42 like this.

My thinking of an extra mag, and I usually take one, is for mechanical reasons, not extra shots.OMOYMV
    OD* and BugDude like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I would say that some shoot their gun enough, cycle their magazines enough, that they feel confident that their magazine won't fail in the chance they do have to use their weapon. I know it's playing Russian Roulette, but many people do every day by going out "unarmed".
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Well, we all know cars never break down!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

I'll echo the comments about the trade-off between perceived risk and hassle of carying an extra mag. Also the one about confidence.

I have never had a mag failure in my PM9...not that it can't happen, but have never experienced one. I'm more worried about running into a situation (e.g., gang) where I will need more than 6+1. Having said that, I often carry my PM9 in a pocket for work, or quickly clipped to my belt for a run to the store. In those cases, I generally don't bother with an extra mag (can't have both pockets filled in dress pants...too much bulk). If I am going out all day, say with a shoulder holster, I bring extra mags.

Funny, we never question those with a hi-cap pistol (e.g., 17- or 20-shot mags) that feel they must also carry two extra mags like they're going to be fighting a running gun battle against 20 people. I think it's like one poster said...it's about what YOU feel comfortable doing -- not what someone else judges as right. For me, with the clothes I wear, the weight I can comfortably manage, and the environment I'm in, I feel no need to run around like some Rambo with 80 rounds on me at all times. If others do, it's their decision...go for it. For me, my PM9 and 7 rounds suffices for most situations.

I carry an extra mag in every situation that it's possible to do so, and for the same reason that I carry a gun in the first place. Just in case.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Administrator
    This topic is getting stale. Everyone who has been properly trained should know that a spare magazine is not necessarily for the extra ammo. It for those pesky malfunction drills.

Who cares what caused the malfunction, it simply doesn't matter in the heat of a gun fight. Magazine related, ammo related it makes no difference. If its a mag issue what do you do? Get rid of the mag. If its an ammo issue... where's your ammo? In the magazine. Get rid of it. Are you going to inspect and pontificate in the middle of battle? I hope not.

You should be stripping the mag that is in the gun, replacing with a fresh mag, recharge and get back in the fight. It is as simple as that.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    I always carry an extra magazine for my Taurus. 12 rounds in the first magazine, 10 in the second. The only time I've ever gone without carrying extras was when I was carrying my Windicator- before I could manage to find a speed-loader. And, it's a rather menacing revolver, so I was hoping that presenting it would be enough to keep me from having to fire.

VIP Member
    I think the reason people don't carry an extra mag is related to convenience and probability. I'd say that in my lifetime there is less than a 1% chance I'm going to have to shoot someone.

I use good gear, train regularly, inspect and cycle my mags. I have never had any malfunction in my G19 let alone a mag malfunction. I'd put the failure probability at around 2% or less. So that would be (doing the percentages) a .02% percent chance of ever needing that extra mag.

We all carry according to what we each feel is safe.

For the record I do carry an extra mag about 50% of the time.
    Old School likes this.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links