Utah permit backlog

Utah permit backlog

This is a discussion on Utah permit backlog within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My Utah permit finally arrived today in the mail. I applied for my Utah permit January 27th and was starting to wonder when it would ...

Thread: Utah permit backlog

Utah permit backlog

My Utah permit finally arrived today in the mail. I applied for my Utah permit January 27th and was starting to wonder when it would arrive. I tried to call the authorities in Utah Friday but their office was closed. I decided to wait until my mail arrived this morning before I called again, but luckily the permit was in the mail before I had to make a call.

On the letter that Utah sent with my permit this was stated in bold print, "this permit is valid contingent on a satisfactory criminal history report being received from the FBI. You will be notified... or of a revocation if the FBI criminal history report contains information of a disqualifying nature."

I already have my Nebraska carry permit and have no criminal background (except for minor in possession of tobacco and littering from when I threw a cigarette butt out my window when I was 17).

So I am wondering if Utah is so backed up in their permit process that they sent me my permit before having received the FBI background check because of statutory time limits on their approving or disapproving permit applications.

I got mine from Utah three years ago and they had the same thing. Think they do the local etc. and then send out to the Feds. Rather than wait they do it this way and keep it under a much longer time. When I sent mine in it took exactly two months.
    NRA Certified Instructor, MADFI Certified Instructor
    Vietnam Veteran, NRA Life Member
    XD 9 MM, 9 MM SC, 9 MM Tactical, XDM 9MM, XDM 40,
    XDM 40 Limited, XDM 5.25 Canyon Creek Custom 9 mm

Quote Originally Posted by gunshrink View Post
    I got mine from Utah three years ago and they had the same thing. Think they do the local etc. and then send out to the Feds. Rather than wait they do it this way and keep it under a much longer time. When I sent mine in it took exactly two months.
    yep...it's a form letter. I got the same thing last year with mine.

Changes in Store for Utah Concealed Carry Permits
    NEWS, UTAH FIREARM NEWS | MARCH 29, 2011 BY CALVIN REDDING | 4 COMMENTS AND 0 REACTIONS

Under a measure signed into law by Governor Gary Herbert on Wednesday, Utah’s concealed weapons permit system—widely popular among gun owners nationwide because it’s recognized by 33 states—will see some significant changes.
    Senate Bill 26 requires non-residents who seek a Utah concealed-weapon permit to first obtain one from their home state, if available. As a result, it will most certainly impact what has become something of a cottage industry for The Beehive State—the classroom instruction and issuing of its concealed-weapon permits to residents of other states who wish to legally carry in as many states as possible.

Sen. John Valentine, R-Orem, sponsored the bill and said he introduced the measure to address the concerns of other states that were considering ending their reciprocity with Utah’s CCW permit. Valentine said he understands that states prefer to train and qualify their own residents for concealed-carry permits, and they should retain that option, if applicable.

Further, Sen. Valentine said his measure gives states control over their own residents, while ensuring Utahns’ permits will be recognized more widely.

Source: Outdoor Life
    ...T. Ray

Your finger prints may get denied. It happens to at least one student every three or four classes. You would then have to send them another finger print card, but your permit will still be valid.

April 9th will be 60 Days since I applied for mine. I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Druff View Post
    April 9th will be 60 Days since I applied for mine. I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas haha.
    April 9th???

the 60 day clock doesn't start until they cash your check or charge your card.

That would be April 15th then. :( Kick me while I am down.

Took my class in Jan 26th, but the only place that does fingerprints couldn't fit me in for 2+weeks. I first sent in my application 60 days ago but I made a small error in my application that resulted in it getting sent back to me, and I can see now it's been 30 days since the Bureau cashed the check, so I assume it could be another 30 days from here
    "In a world of compromise, some don't." -HK

Quote Originally Posted by trayzor View Post
    NEWS, UTAH FIREARM NEWS | MARCH 29, 2011 BY CALVIN REDDING | 4 COMMENTS AND 0 REACTIONS

Under a measure signed into law by Governor Gary Herbert on Wednesday, Utah’s concealed weapons permit system—widely popular among gun owners nationwide because it’s recognized by 33 states—will see some significant changes.
    Senate Bill 26 requires non-residents who seek a Utah concealed-weapon permit to first obtain one from their home state, if available. As a result, it will most certainly impact what has become something of a cottage industry for The Beehive State—the classroom instruction and issuing of its concealed-weapon permits to residents of other states who wish to legally carry in as many states as possible.

Sen. John Valentine, R-Orem, sponsored the bill and said he introduced the measure to address the concerns of other states that were considering ending their reciprocity with Utah’s CCW permit. Valentine said he understands that states prefer to train and qualify their own residents for concealed-carry permits, and they should retain that option, if applicable.

Further, Sen. Valentine said his measure gives states control over their own residents, while ensuring Utahns’ permits will be recognized more widely.

Source: Outdoor Life
    That makes me glad I got my Utah permit before any of that stuff went into effect.

Sponsored Links