For Those That Refuse To Travel Where You Can't Carry

This is a discussion on For Those That Refuse To Travel Where You Can't Carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Wanted to drag this out of the other thread so it wouldn't muddy the waters there. For those of you who choose not to travel ...

Thread: For Those That Refuse To Travel Where You Can't Carry

For Those That Refuse To Travel Where You Can't Carry

Wanted to drag this out of the other thread so it wouldn't muddy the waters there.

For those of you who choose not to travel to states that do not have reciprocity with your state or disallow carry all together, do you inform the legislative groups in that state of your choice not to travel there or spend money there and why you made that choice?

If you do not inform those that can change things you accomplish nothing by not going there.

If you are going to make a statement then make a statement. Write, call, email, what ever it takes to make your statement heard. The anonymous response of not going could be for an infinite number of reasons, maybe you don't like the color of their state license plate, or maybe the laws they have on pet owners, or even their choice of state bird.

Don't think you're making a stand unless you let those that can make a difference know you're making a stand.

2. Remove Ads

I do not live in Maryland, but I have property and family in that state. I pay taxes on that property. I did contact the appropriate legislative sub-committee regarding their bill to enhance reciprocity with my state.

But, I do not vote in Maryland: so my concerns only carried little weight.

The permits that I have cover all of the states that I travel to or through during my journeys. I see no reason to send a letter or email to all the states that I "can not" carry in (due to lack of reciprocity), when I don't travel in/through them.

Don't you think that traveling through those states you do not have reciprocity in, and going unarmed is no more making a stand than someone who doesn't travel through them (and doesn't complain either). As CPO 15 said, a complaint from a non-voting, non-resident doesn't carry much weight.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by tkruf View Post
    The permits that I have cover all of the states that I travel to or through during my journeys. I see no reason to send a letter or email to all the states that I "can not" carry in (due to lack of reciprocity), when I don't travel in/through them.

Don't you think that traveling through those states you do not have reciprocity in, and going unarmed is no more making a stand than someone who doesn't travel through them (and doesn't complain either). As CPO 15 said, a complaint from a non-voting, non-resident doesn't carry much weight.
    If you had read my original post you would see that I'm asking how will the legislating body of the state you refuse to travel KNOW WHY you don't travel there?

Your travel dollars DO matter to them and that carries weight, just ask Florida about bike week, spring break, and Disney, New York City and new years eve, Indianapolis and the 500, etc.

The same can apply to a business, if you boycott it due to their prohibiting firearms how are they to know they have lost your business because of it if you don't tell them why?

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    If you had read my original post you would see that I'm asking how will the legislating body of the state you refuse to travel KNOW WHY you don't travel there?

Your travel dollars DO matter to them and that carries weight, just ask Florida about bike week, spring break, and Disney, New York City and new years eve, Indianapolis and the 500, etc.

The same can apply to a business, if you boycott it due to their prohibiting firearms how are they to know they have lost your business because of it if you don't tell them why?
    Good point bullseye, however, in my case, they're still not losing any dollars, because I still wouldn't be traveling in those states. Someday, maybe. Therefore I guess everyone should be writing to all the legislators for every state that they can not carry in.

I think this all falls under the "National Reciprocity" issues, or even constitutional carry issues.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

If my carry states dont include Florida, guess what, im not going to Disney. I am however planning a trip instead to west Virginia on a motocycle trip with some friends... here i can legally carry. Instead of spending TIME on writing legislators in other states, i will be spending MONEY in states that do honor my liscense. As for a side note, yes, it does suck that many states do not honor other permits... mine being one of the worst, NYS. Many legislators here in NYS are against guns in private hands of NYS citizens, why would they want out of state "hooligans with guns" coming here? After the massacre at the American Civic Association a year ago where 13 people were murdered, guns are not a poplular freedom in many of our elected officials. Fair???No. Reality... yes. is our state losing out on travel money... you can bet your butt it is. NYS is stupid. My coworker, who lives in tioga county, one county over from where i live, he cannot even get a carry permit... they just do not issue them at all. bunker
    "6 P's of self defense "
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

I do not travel to states that do not honor my permit...FL covers a lot of space.
    I do not waste my time writing to the states that refuse to honor my 2A rights...let the voters there live with what they voted for...OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

My Tx permit is good in 32 States,the other States in 53 years I have never visited,or have any need or desire to visit.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Like Ret... My Missouri permit covers most states. But when heading east, I just hold my nose and don't stop when driving across Illinois. I'm usually across the state by the time I need to breathe.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Links