Moving States - CCW Question

This is a discussion on Moving States - CCW Question within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am moving from WA to KY in 3 months. I have checked on the gun laws in KY and it appears I am not ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Moving States - CCW Question

Moving States - CCW Question

I am moving from WA to KY in 3 months. I have checked on the gun laws in KY and it appears I am not eligible to apply for a CCW permit in KY until I have been a resident in the state for 6 months. My question is, since Kentucky DOES honor Washington's state CCW permit, will it be ok for me to carry concealed during that initial 6 months since my current state has CCW reciprocity with KY? I plan to call to check but I was wondering if anyone might have any insight into this. Thanks guys and gals.
    EDC: FN FNP-9 w/ three 16 rnd magazines. Mini Maglite.

" The unarmed man is not just defenseless, he is also contemptible." ~ Machiavelli.

2. Remove Ads

Only if WA issues a non resident permit and KY honors a non resident permit from WA.

Edited to add, if WA does issue non resident permits you will most likely want to change the address on your permit to your new KY address before you leave WA and change your WA permit to non resident.

VIP Member
    For the most part it will depend on WA state law. Do you lose your residency there when you get a drivers license from KY? If so your WA resident license is void when that happens. Easiest way to handle it would be to get a non-resident license that KY honors, prior to the move.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

hey thanks guys! I will look into it.

" The unarmed man is not just defenseless, he is also contemptible." ~ Machiavelli.

WA does issue non-resident permits so you will not void your WA LCP by moving. You just need to ask KY if you can continue to use your WA permit while you're waiting for the "not really a resident" time limit to expire.
    TN_Mike likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    WA does issue non-resident permits so you will not void your WA LCP by moving. You just need to ask KY if you can continue to use your WA permit while you're waiting for the "not really a resident" time limit to expire.
    This is right.

There is no difference between a Washington resident/non-resident permit, and the permit is still valid when you move out of state. If KY allows you to carry on an out-of-state permit while you are waiting to meet the residency requirements, you should be good.

Quote Originally Posted by ak56 View Post
    This is right.

There is no difference between a Washington resident/non-resident permit, and the permit is still valid when you move out of state. If KY allows you to carry on an out-of-state permit while you are waiting to meet the residency requirements, you should be good.
    Before you just take off and move you may want to make sure that if your permit is run it will come back with your CORRECT resident address. If WA issues a non resident permit it still needs to reference your new KY address either on the permit or when verified with WA otherwise it isn't a valid permit.

While there may be no physical difference between the resident and non resident permits they still have to have an address on file whether it be a WA or KY address. Don't get caught up in the middle of having multiple state of residence addresses or you may have more problems. (unless your in the mil then there are valid reasons for multiple states of residence)

Best to do it before you leave since I've read that WA doesn't like to do some things via mail. Here is the page on change of address.
    WA State Licensing: Change your address - Concealed Pistol License

Good luck!

Welcome

Welcome to Kentucky! You'll like this State's view on the 2nd Amendment!
    Savage206 likes this.
    ...the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    Before you just take off and move you may want to make sure that if your permit is run it will come back with your CORRECT resident address. If WA issues a non resident permit it still needs to reference your new KY address either on the permit or when verified with WA otherwise it isn't a valid permit.

While there may be no physical difference between the resident and non resident permits they still have to have an address on file whether it be a WA or KY address. Don't get caught up in the middle of having multiple state of residence addresses or you may have more problems. (unless your in the mil then there are valid reasons for multiple states of residence)

Best to do it before you leave since I've read that WA doesn't like to do some things via mail. Here is the page on change of address.
    WA State Licensing: Change your address - Concealed Pistol License

Good luck!
    From that site:

Washington State law doesn’t require you to update the address on your concealed pistol license when you move.
    Looks like the process on that page is if you want the address changed on the permit itself. I would think that beyond that you can just call so they can update their records.

From that site:

Looks like the process on that page is if you want the address changed on the permit itself. I would think that beyond that you can just call so they can update their records.
    The point is that if you get stopped in KY with a new KY drivers license that shows a new KY address and a WA carry permit that comes back to a WA residence you may find yourself in more problems. Since you are claiming to have two different residences. The optional change if you stayed a WA resident would still show a WA DL so no big problem.

Not saying it's the absolute law, just trying to pass on some advice learned from the past instances.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    The point is that if you get stopped in KY with a new KY drivers license that shows a new KY address and a WA carry permit that comes back to a WA residence you may find yourself in more problems. Since you are claiming to have two different residences. The optional change if you stayed a WA resident would still show a WA DL so no big problem.

Not saying it's the absolute law, just trying to pass on some advice learned from the past instances.

Don't get me wrong....I'm not saying don't tell WA about the address change. I'm just saying that it is something that could be done with a phone call...not necessarily in person.

Don't get me wrong....I'm not saying don't tell WA about the address change. I'm just saying that it is something that could be done with a phone call...not necessarily in person.
    this is exactly why I am calling tomorrow. I will let you guys know what they say. Might take me a few days, might have to write a few emails to get the answer but I will get to the bottom of it and let you know.

just sent this email to the Attorney General of Kentucky's office. I will let you know what they say:

Mr. Conway,

My name is SAVAGE206. I am currently a resident of King County, WA. In 3 short months I will be making my way across the country to join my mother and sister in becoming residents of the great state of Kentucky. I am currently a CCW (Concealed Carry Weapon) permit holder here in Washington State. I have tried doing research online, searching for helpful information in online forums and online State law databases, yet am unable to come to a clear answer to my situation. I am hoping you can provide some information to help me resolve this issue. Question below:

I currently have a Concealed Carry Weapon license for the state of Washington. As far as I know KY does have reciprocity with WA CCW (referred to as CCDW in KY I believe) permit holders and does recognize those out of state rights to carry a concealed firearm. That being said, if I am moving to KY, have a WA CCW but the KY law says that I cannot apply for a concealed permit until I have 6 months residency, what do I do?

Does my WA permit cover me during those 6 months since your state has reciprocity with my issuing state? Or does that become void once I register a new address in KY and get a KY license? I am just concerned about staying within the boundaries of the law and I assumed you would be the best authority in which to submit my inquiry. I sincerely appreciate any info you can provide on this subject and thank you very much for your time, as I am sure you are very busy. I am very excited to move to the state of Kentucky to start a new life. From my visits, i know it will be a great place to live.

Sincerely

SAVAGE206
    no I didn't really sign it Savage206. dorks... ;)

Good luck with your move......
    Reminds me of my move to Utah years ago (back in so cal right now). About a month after I moved there I tried to get a resident Utah fishing license from Walmart but since my Utah drivers license had just been issued and I hadn't been a resident for 6 months the clerk told me I had to get a non-resident license. The non resident application asked for "current residence" which was in Utah so that wasn't working either. After a long debate with everyone involved it was put through as a resident license...........tied up 3 employees for 30 minutes...

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    You will legally be a WA resident until you become a KY resident. You have to be a resident of some state until you meet the pre-requisites of the next. However, once you are accepted as a KY resident, your WA permit may no longer be considered a legit as you are no longerconnected with WA. You may without permit for the time between becoming a KY resident and receiving your KY permit. Make sure you check out all aspects.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links