Non Resident FL Permit Not Accepted in SC?

This is a discussion on Non Resident FL Permit Not Accepted in SC? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Going to be possibly vacationing in SC in June and I wanted to make sure of the laws. Handgunlaw states SC will only accept resident ...

Thread: Non Resident FL Permit Not Accepted in SC?

Non Resident FL Permit Not Accepted in SC?

Going to be possibly vacationing in SC in June and I wanted to make sure of the laws. Handgunlaw states SC will only accept resident permits from Florida and I know Florida only issues one type of permit so is there a loop hole here? Or would I be hosed when they look at my PA drivers license to see I live there?

2. Remove Ads

SC doesn't honor non-resident permits. I grew up in SC and go back often to visit family, but can't carry with my Georgia Weapons License. Sucks. There is legislation in the works that might change that though. Here's hoping.

Quote Originally Posted by redbeardsong View Post
    SC doesn't honor non-resident permits. I grew up in SC and go back often to visit family, but can't carry with my Georgia Weapons License. Sucks. There is legislation in the works that might change that though. Here's hoping.
    Yeah I thought so. It seems from this part of the SC law code it is ok for me to keep it in my glove box though.

Anyone who can legally own a firearm can carry in loaded if contained in a closed Glove Box, Console or Trunk. Their law is very specific on the only locations where it can be carried.
    SECTION 16-23-10. Definitions.
    When used in this article:
    (1) “Handgun” means any firearm designed to expel a projectile and designed to be fired from the hand, but shall not include any firearm generally recognized or classified as an antique, curiosity, or collector’s item, or any that does not fire fixed cartridges.
    (10) “Luggage compartment” means the trunk of a motor vehicle which has a trunk; however, with respect to a motor vehicle which does not have a trunk, the term “luggage compartment” refers to the area of the motor vehicle in which the manufacturer designed that luggage be carried or to the area of the motor vehicle in which luggage is customarily carried. In a station wagon, van, hatchback vehicle, or sport utility vehicle, the term “luggage compartment” refers to the area behind, but not under, the rearmost seat. In a truck, the term “ luggage compartment” refers to the area behind the rearmost seat, but not under the front seat.

Glove box or console that fully closes no lock needed.

Quote Originally Posted by SCfromNY View Post
    Glove box or console that fully closes no lock needed.
    Far better than nothing and thanks fellas.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomos View Post
    Going to be possibly vacationing in SC in June and I wanted to make sure of the laws. Handgunlaw states SC will only accept resident permits from Florida and I know Florida only issues one type of permit so is there a loop hole here? Or would I be hosed when they look at my PA drivers license to see I live there?
    I an answer to the OP's question...basically, yes!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I have always been puzzeled that Florida issues a non resident permit that is honored in many states but to my knowledge does not honor any non resident. Kinda strange.

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    SCfromNY, according to the "2011 Traveler's Guide to Firearms Laws of the Fifty States", Florida will recognize any State's CCW that has reciprosity with Florida. I know several states have drop Florida due to their permit period of seven years. It is somewhat easy to get a non-resident CCW from Florida if you have one in your state.

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    SC doesn't honor non-resident permits.
    And only honors the resident permits of 17 other states. Stingy.

I have always been puzzled that Florida issues a non resident permit that is honored in many states but to my knowledge does not honor any non resident. Kinda strange.
    I find it weird that I am not a Florida resident, but my Florida permit is apparently recognized in Florida.

I have family in NC and FL so I travel through SC. Here is a map that may help Handgunlaw.us : CCW Map

I have always been puzzeled that Florida issues a non resident permit that is honored in many states but to my knowledge does not honor any non resident. Kinda strange.
    That is the hypocrisy that is FL. One of, if not the largest issuer of non resident permits...but doesn't honor any other non resident permit...

Quote Originally Posted by onacoma View Post
    SCfromNY, according to the "2011 Traveler's Guide to Firearms Laws of the Fifty States", Florida will recognize any State's CCW that has reciprosity with Florida. I know several states have drop Florida due to their permit period of seven years. It is somewhat easy to get a non-resident CCW from Florida if you have one in your state.

Easy to get even if you dont have one from y0ur home state.

There needs to be a national agreement as to honoring other states permits. Com up with a critera whic all the states can adhere to, and let the states issue which would be good anywhere. (Except NY state would be the lone one holding out)
    To the original poster:
    I left NY state (Rochester area) in 1972 to persue my career in Florida. I had a full carry NY CWP. I have a Florida permit, which was issued very shortly after announcing they were available.
    Last year, I went to NY by car to visit my Sister. In viewing the states gun laws, mt Fl permit was good in all the states along the way, except NY. And with the crime situation up there, that would be where I would need it the most.
    I wound up leaving the gun at home, and bought a OC sray and had my tactical folding knife in my pocket.
    And as said above, I was a licensed resident before moving.

If i remember correctly the OC spray must be purchased in NY. How anyone could tell is beyond me though.

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    The bill is most likely dead. Representative Thad Viers started monkeying with the bill and screwed it up major, intenionally or unintentionally. He then proceeded to blame the people who pointed out his mistakes. Now, no-one wants to touch what could have been a prett good step forward with a few tweaks.

Right now SC is a strict reciprocity state. If you do not honors ours, we will not honr yours. Also, we will not honor yours if you do not have a training requirement.

A really first big step is about to be passed with required roll call voting. Our legslatures currently have the ability to vote with it being recorded. Then can hide from their true votes. Once the governor sign this bill, I expect we will see some more changes that come from the increased visilbity of votes.

Links