Recording police stop may be illegal!

This is a discussion on Recording police stop may be illegal! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Not biased, but somewhat naive....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 56
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Recording police stop may be illegal!

  1. #16
    VIP Member
    Array Hopyard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Disappeared
    Posts
    11,573
    Not biased, but somewhat naive.

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #17
    Administrator
    Array SIXTO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    19,661
    Threads like this are absolutely silly. In this day and age, everyone should assume they are being recorded when in view of the public eye no matter what side of the fence you are on. To bicker back and forth otherwise is a complete waste of time and rather moronic.

    There. I feel better now. Carry on.
    mkphillips and bbqgrill like this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

  4. #18
    VIP Member Array farronwolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    4,768
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Not biased, but somewhat naive.
    Naive, really?

    Have you ever had a bad experience with a LEO that would require you record it? If so, what brought it about. If not, why do you assume you will have one?

    The only experiences I have had in the past nearly 20 years is when they came to my office for my services, stopped by my house when I was outside and they were on patrol, at our National Night Out Parties, or when they responded to calls I made because of auto burglaries, auto accidents, or theft from my office. Any reason I would need to record the video or audio on those things?
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

  5. #19
    Member Array gigamortis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    258
    The case with the biker filming the cop was in the communist state of Maryland. What else do you expect from a may issue state that doesn't trust its citizens to defend themselves with guns or cameras?

  6. #20
    Member
    Array IWLAFART's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Martinsburg, WV
    Posts
    335
    I think that most of these guys that OC and film or record are just trying the system. You never see any good film or recordings . Maybe just trying to find someone to sue.
    Member:USCCA, NRA, GOA, WVCDL
    U.S. Navy vet 1955-1959, USS Dashiell DD 659. Glock 19, Ruger LCP, Ruger .357 Mag.
    When you are at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.

  7. #21
    VIP Member Array TN_Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Shelby County TN
    Posts
    11,111
    Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    Yep, dead serious. If I have done something to bring police attention to me, what am I going to be recording? Me trying to explain why I was doing X. Seems that I would be stacking the deck for the LEO's if I had to fight it.

    Please explain this. How do folks advocate not saying a word or say they will not give a statement without their lawyer, but then want to record the interaction with the LEO for use later. Hmmm, plead the 5th so you can't incriminate yourself then make a video or audio recording that can be subpoenaed for use against you. I don't see the logic in that.

    Now granted, I might be a bit biased because I have never had a bad LEO experience, even when I was in my teens and early 20's and was full of myself, but don't see that changing any time soon.
    OK, I'll explain it to you. It's simple really. Every profession has its bad apples. The difference with bad apple LEO's is, they have the ability to arrest you, get you charged with crimes you may or may not have actually committed, and as has happened to people before, be continually harassed by them for a vendetta.

    As was pretty well evident in the audio recording this thread is based upon, the police that fellow interacted with treated him with no respect at all and in fact violated his rights.

    I'm glad you've never had a bad LEO interaction, I really am. But some of us have had them. I have known LEO's who shouldn't be LEO's because of the mental attitude they had. I too don't feel you are biased but very naive in this instance.

    Quote Originally Posted by IWLAFART View Post
    I think that most of these guys that OC and film or record are just trying the system. You never see any good film or recordings . Maybe just trying to find someone to sue.
    That's such a ridiculous statement that it really doesn't even deserve a response. But, even if someone is OCing to prove a point, if it protects our 2A rights from an over zealous law enforcement agency, how is that bad? What is legal is legal even if a Police Chief or Mayor doesn't like it.
    oneshot and Spidey2011 like this.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

  8. #22
    Member Array TapRackBang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    432
    Cop bashing fest..whats new..
    "Arms in the hands of individual citizens may be used at individual discretion..in private self defense." John Adams

  9. #23
    VIP Member Array farronwolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    4,768
    Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    OK, I'll explain it to you. It's simple really. Every profession has its bad apples. The difference with bad apple LEO's is, they have the ability to arrest you, get you charged with crimes you may or may not have actually committed, and as has happened to people before, be continually harassed by them for a vendetta.
    No doubt there are bad apples all around, including police. And yes they can arrest you, has happened twice to me. Once was my fault, once was a break in the system. When it was my fault I paid up and all was good. When it was the systems fault, the judge appoligized to me and told me to come back on Thursday to get my money back. Neither time would trying to video tape the incident have helped.

    As was pretty well evident in the audio recording this thread is based upon, the police that fellow interacted with treated him with no respect at all and in fact violated his rights.
    Maybe someone could post the link to the audio.

    I'm glad you've never had a bad LEO interaction, I really am. But some of us have had them. I have known LEO's who shouldn't be LEO's because of the mental attitude they had. I too don't feel you are biased but very naive in this instance.
    What caused your bad interaction with the LEO? Is there anything that could have been done to avoid the situation?

    Have you ever had a bad experience with non LEO? Does that cause you to go around video taping all of those interactions? Non LEO's with vendettas can make your life as much a living hell as any LEO ever thought about, since LEO's tend to have supervisors, and elected officials that they have to answer to.

    Really if you all think it is a good idea to video or audio tape your interactions then I have no problem with it. Let us all know how things turn out after your interaction and video tape session. Post them, whether they are good or bad. I simply don't see a need to, just like I don't see a need to do a whole bunch of other things during intereactions with LEO's. My goal is to comply with their requests and let everyone go on their way safe and happy. This has worked for me for decades, I see no reason to change.

    I take it you all agree with this guys approach.
    Man Open Carries Rifle At Mall And Is Harassed...
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

  10. #24
    Member Array jfnixon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    27
    Don't forget, in some States *cough* Georgia *cough* the laws for audio and video recording are different.

    I think that if the Police can record me without asking permission, why isn't it reasonable for me to have the same right?

  11. #25
    Member Array GhostRed7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    160
    Quote Originally Posted by jfnixon View Post
    Don't forget, in some States *cough* Georgia *cough* the laws for audio and video recording are different.
    Ya...was just about to say this. GA is only illegal in private....in public = fair game:
    Quote Originally Posted by GALaw
    In addition, Georgia has a special provision regarding the use of a hidden video camera. The law makes it a crime to use a device to "observe, photograph, or record the activities of another which occur in any private place and out of the public view" unless the person making the recording gets the consent of all the persons observed. Ga. Code 16-11-62(2) (link is to the entire code; you need to click through to Title 16, Chapter 11, Article 3, Part I, and then choose the specific provision).
    "Sir, could you please not bleed so much? I have to clean the store after they haul you off and I'd like the rest of my shift, to be, like, you know, better."

  12. #26
    Ex Member Array jaredpotts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    61
    This thread is ridiculous there is no reason to video tape a police officer. All of the videos we see where the Police "violate" someones "rights" are ridiculous. I am not going to start my rant on the D-bags that purposely draw police attention just to video tape them and hope they "violate" their "rights". I put both violate and rights in quotations because 99.999% of the time when people say their "rights" were "violated" there was no violation and most of the time the so called right that was violated is not even a right.

    Check it out people yes you may have the right to open carry, but guess what just because you have that right does not mean an officer can not stop you because of it. In order to have the right the right to open carry you have to meet some requirements, not a felon, over the required age and so on, an Officer can stop you in order to make sure you meet those requirements. 99.999% of the time these stops turn out bad and someone gets arrested or cited it is because of the actions of the person being contacted not the officer. For some reason the kind of person who would open carry is the same kind of person who will refuse to provide ID because that is a violation of their "rights". I have the right to go down to the river and fish but whenever that game warden comes around I have to show my ID and fishing license is that a violation of my rights? I also have the right to smoke, but I look young so occasionally an officer will stop me and ask for ID is that a violation of my rights?

    A lot of the people who wine about their civil rights being violated need to stop complaining and acting like victims and read a damn book.

  13. #27
    Senior Member Array KoriBustard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    616
    Some jurisdictions in Massachusetts have interpreted the "wiretapping" law such as to make it illegal to "audio" record (which is usually part of a video) an LEO while in the performance of his or her duties. It is being called "unauthorized surveillance." There have been a number of individuals arrested in MA, including a lawyer, on this charge. However, according to a Boston Globe article, each case they could track down was ultimately thrown out of court as unconstitutional.

    States can attempt to pass what ever laws they wish. Further each police jurisdiction can decide how it wishes to interpret and enforce that law. However, under challenge, state laws and their interpretations must ultimately align with the US Constitution, which makes this great document something worth fighting for.
    NRA Member
    GOAL Member
    Certified NRA RSO
    EDC: M&P 9c

  14. #28
    VIP Member
    Array Hopyard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Disappeared
    Posts
    11,573
    Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    Naive, really?

    Have you ever had a bad experience with a LEO that would require you record it?

    Although that question wasn't directed at me, I'll respond.

    Yes I have. What brought it about? An aggressive moron who entered private property to evict a group of SCUBA divers who had permission from the owner to be where they were; when told we had permission he patted his gun and said (with an aggressive tone), "well I'm taking it away."

    I've a couple other interesting examples but that one should suffice. A recording brought to his supervisor afterward would have been priceless.

    These states and the few courts which allow the states to get away with stuff are the ones who are ridiculous. They want to stack the deck and make misconduct disappear. No misconduct = no reason to be concerned with the surveillance. We are told that all the time when cities propose putting surveillance cameras on the lamp lights. The argument is always the same, "if you aren't doing something wrong why would you object." That same argument should apply to our public servants. If they are doing their job properly they should have no objection to being recorded either by voice, video or both.

    There is only one reason to object---- a desire to protect themselves from their own misdeeds.
    Last edited by Hopyard; April 1st, 2011 at 04:24 PM. Reason: Added introductory comment
    oneshot and rosicrux like this.

  15. #29
    VIP Member Array TN_Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Shelby County TN
    Posts
    11,111
    Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    What caused your bad interaction with the LEO? Is there anything that could have been done to avoid the situation?
    I was one for a time. And I knew several who I thought should never have been issued a badge and gun. Simple as that. I have seen it from both sides and I know what goes on.

    There are departments out there that train the new recruits in a very adversarial "us vs. them" mentality where ANYONE with a gun who isn't a cop is a bad guy and they need to be treated like a dirt bag. This is a very bad way to train a new cop. The police department of a city generally adopts the anti-gun or pro-gun attitude of the city they serve. In Philly, the cops have a very decidedly anti-gun bent.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

  16. #30
    VIP Member Array TN_Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Shelby County TN
    Posts
    11,111
    Quote Originally Posted by jaredpotts View Post
    This thread is ridiculous there is no reason to video tape a police officer. All of the videos we see where the Police "violate" someones "rights" are ridiculous. I am not going to start my rant on the D-bags that purposely draw police attention just to video tape them and hope they "violate" their "rights". I put both violate and rights in quotations because 99.999% of the time when people say their "rights" were "violated" there was no violation and most of the time the so called right that was violated is not even a right.

    Check it out people yes you may have the right to open carry, but guess what just because you have that right does not mean an officer can not stop you because of it. In order to have the right the right to open carry you have to meet some requirements, not a felon, over the required age and so on, an Officer can stop you in order to make sure you meet those requirements. 99.999% of the time these stops turn out bad and someone gets arrested or cited it is because of the actions of the person being contacted not the officer. For some reason the kind of person who would open carry is the same kind of person who will refuse to provide ID because that is a violation of their "rights". I have the right to go down to the river and fish but whenever that game warden comes around I have to show my ID and fishing license is that a violation of my rights? I also have the right to smoke, but I look young so occasionally an officer will stop me and ask for ID is that a violation of my rights?

    A lot of the people who wine about their civil rights being violated need to stop complaining and acting like victims and read a damn book.
    Actually you are wrong. just because you have a gun on your hip does not mean a LEO can stop you and detain you or ask for ID in most cases. Doing something that is legal is not a cause to be stopped by itself.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

can you film police in texas
,
can you record police in tennessee
,

can you record police in texas

,
is it illegal to videotape police in texas
,
is it legal to film police in georgia
,
is it legal to record police in georgia
,
is it legal to record police in tennessee
,

is it legal to videotape police in texas

,

recording police in florida

,
recording police in texas
,

recording police in washington state

,
recording police washington state
Click on a term to search for related topics.