Recording police stop may be illegal!

This is a discussion on Recording police stop may be illegal! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A recent thread on Glocktalk.com involved a person who was stopped for open carry in Philthydelphia and recorded his encounter with the police. Sounds like ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Recording police stop may be illegal!

A recent thread on Glocktalk.com involved a person who was stopped for open carry in Philthydelphia and recorded his encounter with the police. Sounds like a reasonable precaution to protect your rights in court, doesn't it?

A discussion on the Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network pointed out that some states make this a felony punishable by 5 years in prison.

What about your state? Do you think that public encounters with law enforcemnt (public employees) should be recordable?? Would you record an encounter with a LEO?

In some states ALL parties to a conversation must give consent to recording; in others, only one party must give consent.

For info on your state, check out State Law: Recording | Citizen Media Law Project

That is because it is a feudal system. The government can do to you, but you cannot do to it.
    oneshot likes this.

Thanks for the post.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Looks like it is legal in Texas, but I see no reason to do it.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Where's Iowa? Well, other than in the middle of fly over country.

As far as I know in this state a conversation can be recorded if one of the parties knows it's being recorded.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

If anyone remembers the guy on the motorcycle and the off duty cop that drew on him? The rider got wiretapping charges for posting the helmet cam video. NC is a one party consent state, so none of that nonsense here.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Yeh lots of states have wiretapping laws that police departments will take advantage of to keep people from shooting videos and such. Ive also heard where they confiscate phones people record with to "check if its a weapon" and then delete the incriminating videos (which they need a warrant to even look at)

Quote Originally Posted by Keisukekun View Post
    Yeh lots of states have wiretapping laws that police departments will take advantage of to keep people from shooting videos and such. Ive also heard where they confiscate phones people record with to "check if its a weapon" and then delete the incriminating videos (which they need a warrant to even look at)
    The California Supreme Court recently ruled that an officer can "search" the contents of a cell phone without a warrant. There are a few jurisdictions outside of Ca that are following suit.

Funny thing about my cell phone, that one button keeps getting accidentally pushed and it starts recording things. I'm always having to check it and erase things.

It's not illegal here at all, as long as one person gives permission for it to be recorded, so if you are in the conversation .. obviously you have given permission. I don't think it should be illegal anywhere.
    oneshot likes this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

I don't understand how a conversation in public with a publically paid individual could have any sort of reasonable expectation of privacy. Those civil rights lawyers need to aggressively go after attempts to apply wiretapping laws to these sorts of clear abuses. There are no wires being "tapped" here. Whether I record some birds at a local public park or a conversation with an officer in public is really no different as far as the law is concerned.
    OD*, oneshot and hermann like this.

Looks like it's legal in Indiana since Indiana is a single party consent state.

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    Looks like it is legal in Texas, but I see no reason to do it.
    Are you serious? You really don't see a reason to do it?
    oneshot likes this.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by kb2wji View Post
    The California Supreme Court recently ruled that an officer can "search" the contents of a cell phone without a warrant. There are a few jurisdictions outside of Ca that are following suit.
    More liberties out the door T_T

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DoctorBob View Post
    A recent thread on Glocktalk.com involved a person who was stopped for open carry in Philthydelphia and recorded his encounter with the police. Sounds like a reasonable precaution to protect your rights in court, doesn't it?
    A discussion on the Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network pointed out that some states make this a felony punishable by 5 years in prison.
    What about your state? Do you think that public encounters with law enforcemnt (public employees) should be recordable?? Would you record an encounter with a LEO?
    In some states ALL parties to a conversation must give consent to recording; in others, only one party must give consent.
    For info on your state, check out State Law: Recording | Citizen Media Law Project
    I call BS - video recording a Govt. Employee on the job interacting with you on a Public street has NO relationship to private conversations , wiretapping, or phones.

JUST LIKE A CELEBRITY - they have NO EXPECTATION of PRIVACY

Find me a court ruling anywhere that proves me wrong.
    rammerjammer likes this.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

It's because state legislators pass laws that make it a felony. Powerful police unions push such laws.
    rammerjammer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    Looks like it's legal in Indiana since Indiana is a single party consent state.

Are you serious? You really don't see a reason to do it?
    Yep, dead serious. If I have done something to bring police attention to me, what am I going to be recording? Me trying to explain why I was doing X. Seems that I would be stacking the deck for the LEO's if I had to fight it.

Please explain this. How do folks advocate not saying a word or say they will not give a statement without their lawyer, but then want to record the interaction with the LEO for use later. Hmmm, plead the 5th so you can't incriminate yourself then make a video or audio recording that can be subpoenaed for use against you. I don't see the logic in that.

Now granted, I might be a bit biased because I have never had a bad LEO experience, even when I was in my teens and early 20's and was full of myself, but don't see that changing any time soon.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links