One of my main concerns

This is a discussion on One of my main concerns within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This largely depends on your attitude about why you are carrying a firearm. Some would say that if the knife is not being used to ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: One of my main concerns

This largely depends on your attitude about why you are carrying a firearm.

Some would say that if the knife is not being used to threaten you, then your life is not in imminent danger and it is not necessary for you to draw your weapon. Your responsibility is to call the police and report a robbery in progress.

Others might say that you are required to render aid to a citizen in danger.

The second option does have the added value of you playing hero, but you could potentially escalate a robbery into a deadly hostage scenario. Once you draw your gun and introduce it into the situation, all bets are off. Anything could happen and a lot of that anything might not be good.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

2. Remove Ads

I'd be a lot more worried about an accomplice of the bad guy doing the robbing than of a fellow CCW'er shooting me.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    I'd be a lot more worried about an accomplice of the bad guy doing the robbing than of a fellow CCW'er shooting me.
    And I most whole heartedly agree. My point was that as the number of CCW's goes up the probability of this goes up as well. Simply a math exercise for me.

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    My CC permit empowers me to protect myself and my family from imminent deadly threat. It does not make me a cop, mall ninja or hero. In the unlikely event I should happen upon such a situation I would try and be a good witness and perhaps go so far as to draw my cell phone to call 911. On the other hand, if I felt threatened or any of my loved ones were threatened, all bets are off.

Quote Originally Posted by GunGeezer View Post
    My CC permit empowers me to protect myself and my family from imminent deadly threat. It does not make me a cop, mall ninja or hero. In the unlikely event I should happen upon such a situation I would try and be a good witness and perhaps go so far as to draw my cell phone to call 911. On the other hand, if I felt threatened or any of my loved ones were threatened, all bets are off.
    If you are close enough to be witnessing it, you are probably close enough to be a victim. That is how I see it, at least.

Good point...I hope that I am never in a position to make that decision; however, I would think I would feel obligated to save someone's life if I were that close. If I am that close...I would also imagine that I would feel threatened as well and wouldn't have any problem explaining that to LE. Thoughts? Mark
    Mark
    Active Duty Air Force
    Federal Firearms Licensed Dealer - marchellearms.com
    NRA Life Member
    Concealed Carry Permit Holder

Quote Originally Posted by IWLAFART View Post
    One of my main concerns is if you have to draw your weapon. For example some one was robbing a store with a knife to the clerks throat saying he will kill her. I draw my weapon and get shot by another CCW permit holder.

With the increase in CCW permits I can see how a permit holder could accidently shoot another permit holder.

What are your thoughts on this.
    Suppose it could happen but highly unlikely unless there's THAT many who ccw in your area. But ultimately ...... cops shoot cops by mistake, just happened someplace a little while ago. Whenever a dire emergency is going on, mistakes can happen, tragic but true.

Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    And I most whole heartedly agree. My point was that as the number of CCW's goes up the probability of this goes up as well. Simply a math exercise for me.
    If that is the case, then you really need to take into consideration those little mathematical things called "variables" . In math, there are lots of them. You are basing your thoughts on a correlation of data that is inherently flawed to begin with.

...For example, what is to say that if we increase the amount of CCW's by X amount, then X amount more of the public will be more aware about the use of firearms and more knowledgeable about how to handle a dangerous situation, thus decreasing the likelihood of danger in a potentially deadly situation like the one you have described. ....Just food for thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus222 View Post
    If that is the case, then you really need to take into consideration those little mathematical things called "variables" . In math, there are lots of them. You are basing your thoughts on a correlation of data that is inherently flawed to begin with.

...For example, what is to say that if we increase the amount of CCW's by X amount, then X amount more of the public will be more aware about the use of firearms and more knowledgeable about how to handle a dangerous situation, thus decreasing the likelihood of danger in a potentially deadly situation like the one you have described. ....Just food for thought.
    I could agree with you except your data has the possibility to be as flawed as mine. Glass half full versus half empty sort of thing

I should think that if you were yelling at the top of your lungs; "Drop the knife," perhaps any other armed good guys would be able to take a hint. Then, if he doesn't kill the clerk immediately, you may find yourself in a classic "Mexican stand-off." That makes you the chief hostage negotiator until the police show up. Or, what are you prepared to do if he does slash her thoat from ear to ear while you are aiming at him?

Of course every situation is fluid and dynamic, and there is no single best answer. Common sense, proper training and luck.
    Sui juris
    U.S. Navy Veteran '65-'69
    Retired Police Detective '71 - '01
    LEOSA Certified
    NRA Life Member / SAF Member
    U.S. Constitution (c) 1791, All Rights Reserved.

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    We should train at the highest level to ensure that we are ready for anything that may come our way.
    Could you please explain what this means. What's the "highest level"? Because I have a CHP, does that require me to train like a SEAL or Ranger? Do you?

Do you take monthly classes with experts? Do you practice hand-to-hand, knife fighting, and pistol defense daily? I doubt it.

I am an average ccw guy, and not a gun "hobbiest". I carry much of the time when legal. I go to the range once every two or three months to blow the dust out of my guns. I keep them in good repair. I don't play around with them anywhere else as I find that dangerous in my suburban setting.

I also don't spend my time practicing drills to protect myself from lightning strikes, either.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    Could you please explain what this means. What's the "highest level"? Because I have a CHP, does that require me to train like a SEAL or Ranger? Do you?

Do you take monthly classes with experts? Do you practice hand-to-hand, knife fighting, and pistol defense daily? I doubt it.

I am an average ccw guy, and not a gun "hobbiest". I carry much of the time when legal. I go to the range once every two or three months to blow the dust out of my guns. I keep them in good repair. I don't play around with them anywhere else as I find that dangerous in my suburban setting.

I also don't spend my time practicing drills to protect myself from lightning strikes, either.
    Perhaps you could be so kind as to explain your term "average ccw guy"? From prior posts I get the idea you're far from average. Maybe average is a perception used to qualify ones mindset?

HOODIES ARNT BAD THINGS! It depends on if your pants are past your butt or not, I think there is nothing wrong with a hoodie if its not offensive, or "threatening in appearence" LOL
    “What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal.” Albert Pike

I use the term average to imply my averageness, not justify my viewpoint. That said, I would hold that the frequent posters here most likely don't represent concealed carriers as a whole.

I would wager that if it was possible to garner the "average" practices of all the country's ccw-ers, the vast majority don't "train" themselves beyond the required class, and most simply just tote a gun around when they are out and about. I'll also bet most are not hung up about the gun they carry after a year or two, either.

Again, I'd like to know what the poster believes training "at the highest level" requires.
    Last edited by MadMac; April 7th, 2011 at 09:57 AM.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    My aluminium foil helmet would protect me.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links