One of my main concerns

One of my main concerns

This is a discussion on One of my main concerns within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; One of my main concerns is if you have to draw your weapon. For example some one was robbing a store with a knife to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: One of my main concerns

One of my main concerns

One of my main concerns is if you have to draw your weapon. For example some one was robbing a store with a knife to the clerks throat saying he will kill her. I draw my weapon and get shot by another CCW permit holder.

With the increase in CCW permits I can see how a permit holder could accidently shoot another permit holder.

What are your thoughts on this.
    Member:USCCA, NRA, GOA, WVCDL
    U.S. Navy vet 1955-1959, USS Dashiell DD 659. Glock 19, Ruger LCP, Ruger .357 Mag.
    When you are at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.

CCW Badge? Kidding!

I would think that another CCW holder could assess the situation and attempt to see your point of view and aim to see you aren't attempting to assist in a robbery.

I'd also not be in a hoodie, holding my gun gangster style and yelling at the store's employee(s).

Never really thought about that though...
    enk5 and oneshot like this.

While anything can happen, where possible, a quick check re additional susps or others woould seem appropriate before engaging.
    oneshot and Old School like this.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Distinguished Member Array Lotus222's Avatar
    This isn't a very realistic scenario, but it could happen, and it might not happen as described. For example, in the Tuscon shootings, there was more than one person who was CCing and when one guy drew his firearm, he was wrestled down. When he convinced them he wasn't one of the shooters, he helped detain the actual gunman.

This is what a lot of anti's like to argue, as well. They say that cops can't determine a suspect from someone carrying who has helped/is helping with the situation. In a realistic situation, I would assume, the actions are going to go down so quickly that there won't be enough time for someone to just "happen" onto the scene and be confused and intervene in a negative way. Someone robbing a store with CCers? They are both probably going to know who the BG is.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    While anything can happen, where possible, a quick check re additional susps or others woould seem appropriate before engaging.
    This ^. It's a hairy question with many variables, but in general - I'm not going from condition white to red. My gun will not leave the holster, if I do not have an environmental assessment of some sort, which includes my read on whoever else is in the vicinity. If I'm caught flat-footed and day-dreaming, I have some catch-up to do before I'm taking any action. Even if I determine that I'm free to take action, I will possibly employ verbal-fu instead of my carry piece. I carry primarly for self defense. Going beyond that will take careful deliberation on my part.

Hopefully I already cleared my 6 before engaging BG,I would be just as worried BG has an accomplice thats playing off like he's just shopping,until a threat develops
    oneshot likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    I have voiced my concern about this same subject. It's only the law of averages that keeps the possibility of same happening.

More CCW- More possibility.

I don't know about your state, but in Minnesota, unless you yourself (or someone you have an emotional relationship – spouse, child,etc.) are in danger, you cannot use your weapon. Based on the premise that you can carry for self-defense, but you're not a LEO.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Hopefully the act of shooting the BG will be proof to other CHPers that you are not a BG. Definitely something to keep in mind, from both angles.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    What "Gloves" said is absolutely essential in any situation like that. Numerous times cops have been killed by other suspects layed off from the actual event unfolding.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Something like YouTube - Banned xbox 360 Ad ?

I know its just an xbox commercial still funny though. I suppose if everyone carried its possible but most studies say that it almost never happens at the moment.
    joker1 likes this.

I'm really not being snarky when I say this, but if this is a real worry for you, I wouldn't carry. I don't think you are taking a realistic look at the probabilities involved here.

Consider -- The chance that any of us will ever have to draw our weapon is low. From that very small group, the chance that any will have to fire is lower still. From that very very small group (about as close to zero as you can get), some microscopic number will involve a hostage scenario. And finally, from that already nearly non-existent number, we get a nano-sized number of scenarios where not only are we drawing our gun in anger against a bad guy with a hostage, but we are also doing it in the presence of another CCW. Aaaaaand, he has to fail to read the situation for us to get shot.

There's nothing wrong with thinking up unlikely scenarios as thought exercises, but actually being worried about something so ridiculously unlikely when there's about a million things more likely to do us in is a waste of time. Don't worry about it.

Is it possible, sure. Probable, not really.

If the other CHL holder is paying attention they will certainly realize the bad guy is laying bleeding on the ground after you shoot them, not you. I believe you would be hard pressed to find many cases where the CHL holder was mistaken for the BG and shot by another CHL holder.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by IWLAFART View Post
    One of my main concerns is if you have to draw your weapon. For example some one was robbing a store with a knife to the clerks throat saying he will kill her. I draw my weapon and get shot by another CCW permit holder.

With the increase in CCW permits I can see how a permit holder could accidently shoot another permit holder.

What are your thoughts on this.
    As many have said it probably wont happen, however it could. We should train at the highest level to ensure that we are ready for anything that may come our way. I see your concern, your SA in this event will help you. I think that most of us if we saw this happening, and saw you draw your weapon, would probably asses the situation before acting. That is what I would do, hit cover, asses, then react. You never know. They might shoot the BG before you do...
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Quote Originally Posted by Oldfart60 View Post
    I don't know about your state, but in Minnesota, unless you yourself (or someone you have an emotional relationship spouse, child,etc.) are in danger, you cannot use your weapon. Based on the premise that you can carry for self-defense, but you're not a LEO.
    Your state statute doesn't give that restriction of being emotionally or relationship when using deadly force on behalf of another person. https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=609.065

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links