Got exposed real bad at work.

This is a discussion on Got exposed real bad at work. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I got this nice Carhartt coat from my boss and have been wearing it as a "mid" level keep warm item at work. Last week ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Got exposed real bad at work.

I got this nice Carhartt coat from my boss and have been wearing it as a "mid" level keep warm item at work.

Last week (Thursday) I was working on some equipment at a job site at the corner of "No" and "Where" in the suburbs of BFE that was effectively deserted...save for one employee that lives in the area.

He rolled up while I was wrestling with a kick broom (street sweeper) and we started chatting about the other equipment that needed repairs and he helped me out a little.

After about half an hour he takes off I keep working and I realize that not only had my shirt come untucked from my IWB, but both my shirt and coat were re-tucked behind the grip of my carry. This particular employee is know to be the company snitch so to speak. He has a rep for calling the safety manager or the owner whenever someone breaks a company rule (ratted me out a couple years ago for not wearing my fall protection when I was on top of a component of a batch plant...where there was nowhere to tie off - had to be there).

Now that little voice in the back of my head starts jumping on my panic button. I correct my wardrobe malfunction, keep on working, and get a little shot of adrenaline every time my phone rings, expecting it to be some management query about my carrying a gun.

Friday I am back at the office for a few hours, have my usual encounters with the safety manager and my boss, then roll out to the next jobsite. Whammo, free repeater, same coat, same result, except this is an active job site and I have lots of people around. I spend the rest of the day frequently tucking my shirt back in and decide to not wear this coat again.

Made it this far through the week and nobody has said anything. Time to pay my homage to the conceal carry gods and put it behind me.

Amazing the amount of time my head spends on deciding how I would deal with being called on the carpet for "violating" company policy [verbal] on having a gun at work. I went from begging for the opportunity to resign rather than termination, to challenging the validity of the rule, since the safety manager for two years in a row at the yearly company meeting stated that an item [fixed blade knife as an example] is a tool unless there is intent, and I fully classify my carry as both a tool, and PPE (safety glasses, helmet, gloves, steel toe boots...), to full denial of the incident, to pointing out that unlike a majority of the company employees, I have no criminal record, and have gone through extensive local, state, and federal background checks to get my permits (2), and so on. The usual pro vs. anti arguments.

Sigh....

All the joys of making that conscious decision to carry at work against policy. Personal safety or employment.

Interesting Risk reassignment. Going from "Risk of not being able to defend myself in the event of an attack on my person at work", to "Risk of being fired for having the ability to defend myself in the event of an attack on my person at work".

The short version -

May get injured or killed, but I'm employed - May lose my job, but I'm safe.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    at the corner of "No" and "Where" in the suburbs of BFE
    I'm familiar with that location.

Up and down, in and out, over and under while working on stuff can be a pain in the butt while CCWing. I know where you're coming from, and I can't do it. It's not my first choice, but I just pocket carry a LCP for work. Granted I work primarily on my own property, and often don't even see anyone. Working in remote locations in the public, as you apparently do, is probably more risky than my work area. Good luck on finding some way to stay safe and concealed.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    I'm pretty sure that if I had a family that I was responsible for the welfare of I would never risk getting fired over something under my complete control. Unless, of course, my job skills were so in demand that I knew I could easily get a job the next day AND having been fired would not be a blemish on my employment record.
    jsmindwarp likes this.

If it was just you and this guy and he can't prove anything, then I wouldn't admit to anything. I'd also find a more descrete manner of carry. Perhaps a smart carry with a j frame or other small weapon.
    oneshot likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

That is tough but at least you can carry at work for now.

I cannot due to working for a County Elected Official. My job takes me out of the Courthouse to real estate properties for the purpose of appraisal. I am mostly alone and some of the areas I have to go are 30+ miles from the county seat. The only thing I carry would be a cell phone and a multi-tool thing in my pocket.

It really sucks, because working for a Government official and dealing with real estate taxes on a daily basis, I am bound to run into the crazed individual who picks that day to make an "example" of just how to deal with those like me. Several have come to the door packing one or pointing a handgun at me. You just never know who may be at that next stop or end of the dirt road.

The law says that I cannot carry, but just as soon as I leave, go home and be John Q. Public again, I can tote my handgun to all the places legal to do so. Like so many who are unable to carry while at work, I do feel helpless sometimes but unless the law or rules change then I must do what it says otherwise, I may have to pack the pistol when standing in the unemployment line.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Ok, so if I read you right. You were exposing yourself? But nobody saw right?
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Cool

A small snubbie IWB in appendix posistion can prevent that from happening. You always know if it is covered because of it's posistion on your body. It may not be the power level you want but it will always be with you and undetected by "the snitch". Just a thought.

http://www.sideguardholsters.com/holsters/TuckClip.htm
    oneshot likes this.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

JD
    Administrator
    Time to get a different coat.

Look, I support CCW in everyway, but if you are violating company policy, you are wrong. You are putting yourself in a postion that effects your ability to care for and feed your family, or at least yourself. Getting fired because you are carrying and breaking policy, is probably more realistic than any threat you percieve that may require carrying a weapon. Maybe you don't have a family, it's just you. But you are still putting yourself in an unnecassary situation.

I understand the need to carry, even sometimes bend the rules. But, it must be done in a way that balances real need vs perception against the consequences.

If you really feel the need to be armed at work and break policy, this is a good case for a pocket gun.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

I completely agree with Glockman. It's reality check time. Let me suggest the following. In assessing any risk, we should consider the probability of the harm actually occurring, and then the magnitude of the harm if it does occur. Certainly the magnitude of the harm here can be considerable, but the probability of you, of anyone else on this board for that matter, actually having to use their weapon to defend their life is minutely small. If you see the face of evil behind every tree, so be it. Then perhaps you need to find another job or at least take a deep breath and reassess the situation.
    Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up."
    --Wyatt Earp

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
    -- Wyatt Earp

If you were exposing yourself and no one notices, you definately need a bigger gun.

Seriously. If your going to continue to break company policy by carrying at work, you need to find a new way to carry.

I am not going to get into the right/wrong of breaking policy or feeding your family.

There are too many options for daily carry that might work better than what your doing. I would start looking seriously at a new means of carry, especially since summer is coming and your will soon be loosing the coat and only have your shirt to work with.

Good luck, and when the tattle tale fellow comes around give yourself a once over to make sure your covered. This just goes to show folks that there are people who really are oblivious to what is going on around them.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Never put yourself in a job situation that you can't walk away from. It's not good for the psych.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Appendix carry works for me at work, under a t-shirt and unbuttoned cover shirt. I do a lot of bending and dealing with customers, co-workers and my boss all day. Nobody can tell I'm carrying.
    bps3040 likes this.

VIP Member
    Not to beat a dead horse but didn't we have this conversation about a year ago? Man, you have got to leave those Baby Eagles at home and get a J frame or an LCP/Kahr type gun.
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Not to beat a dead horse but didn't we have this conversation about a year ago? Man, you have got to leave those Baby Eagles at home and get a J frame or an LCP/Kahr type gun.
    I think it was 2 years ago, during an inframe rebuild on a piece of equip. Good memory Actimmy. So, all told, that makes 5 incidents where my shirt has been untucked and retucked with potential witnesses, and verified been made 2 times - as in someone said something about it.

JD hit it. Loose the coat, at least don't wear it for work anymore.

The colder seasons are when I find I have the most issues. Summer is not so bad unless I am climbing up and down, crawling and rolling around in the dirt, hanging upside down (sucks when the pistol comes out of the holster and floats around in my shirt), and other weird contortionist activities while fixing something.

Gonna keep carrying. Not one job site that I have been on that I have been alone and not had some random person drive through were nobody else should have been, or walked up on. Current method is the best option for my activities. Anything else is gonna hurt with any handgun placed there.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links