First Declined....Later Accepted

This is a discussion on First Declined....Later Accepted within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello Everyone, Years ago, I attempted to purchase my first firearm. I got denied and received the form to appeal. I'm thinking that my name, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Declined....Later Accepted

First Declined....Later Accepted

Hello Everyone,

Years ago, I attempted to purchase my first firearm. I got denied and received the form to appeal. I'm thinking that my name, Brian Jones, is so common that there was an issue. I never really been in trouble before so i knew it had to be an error. instead of doing the appeal form, i decided to apply for my license to carry, figuring that the police will have better info, once again, denied.

fast forward to early March of this year, now living in Lansdowne, Pa, not far from Philly and I decided that I was going to try again and this time follow through on the appeal since I was too lazy to do it before. so I went to the court house and applied. to my surprise, on March 29th, I got my approval to carry. I was like a big kid all excited and shocked. I went out to a range with my friend to practice with his gun the next day. I then went to the same place I got denied years ago and picked up my XD 40. I made an appointment to meet with someone, at a gun range to learn more about safety, stance and stuff. i also had to get left handed holsters both out the waits and in the waist. I now feel like i am a part of a special group and it does feel weird carrying. I always feel like people are looking at me lol and i have to force myself not to adjust it all the time.

so that is my experience. i have no idea why it would just clear on its on but I am glad I did. I am looking forward to going to the range to practice often.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Welcome from North Carolina.

I always feel like people are looking at me lol and i have to force myself not to adjust it all the time.
    That feeling will go away after some time just do a few Wally World walks and you should feel more comfortable.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

First of all, Welcome to the forum from South Carolina.....Congratulations on getting your Concealed Carry License/Permit...Let me encourage you to find a REPUTABLE PROFESSIONAL TRAINER/TRAINING SCHOOL and get some good training. Then build upon that through practice, practice, and more training. Be safe!!
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

the trainer is from a popular gun range in Philly. they have personal courses on safety. its 65 dollars which I think is well worth the price.
    it includes:
    (1). PRIVATE SAFETY LESSON -

* Classroom time with an NRA Certified Instructor

* Range Time with an NRA Certified Instructor

* Safety/Handling on either a semi-auto or revolver

*Includes range time and rental for the day

* AMMO IS NOT INCLUDED

Thanks for the welcomes.
    Last edited by shyguy122577; April 2nd, 2011 at 05:56 AM. Reason: add more info

Congratulations. I carried for about 6 months on the principle of 'better tried by 12 than carried by 6' after a dangerous situation made me realize that in a job that had me going all around the city by myself, my safety was my responsibility. Carrying with a permit is so much better of a feeling. Glad things worked out for you.
    Anybody can get scared, but you must absolutely not let that affect your behavior. Cowardice kills. -Jeff Cooper

Welcome...

from Central Florida!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Welcome Brian. Glad you tried again and succeeded this time.
    Get as much training as you can afford.
    It's worth every penny and more.
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.

Welcome to the DC Forum from a neighbor just down the road, Delaware!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Welcome and glad to hear things worked out for you. Many would have been so discourage as a result of the denials that they would forfeit their 2nd amendment rights. Kudos for perseverance.
    Martial Blade Concepts, Jiu-Jitsu & Eskrima NRA, GOA, NYSRPA, LIF, Old Bethpage Rifle & Pistol Club

Years ago, I attempted to purchase my first firearm. I got denied and received the form to appeal. I'm thinking that my name, Brian Jones, is so common that there was an issue. I never really been in trouble before so i knew it had to be an error.
    On the background check paper work there should be a space for an optional entry of your social security number. With a common name like yours you might save yourself some grief by listing that SS number to lessen the chances of mixed up identity. I always list mine even though my name isn't all that common.

Congrats. As Hannibal always said "I love it when plan comes together"

GM
    Welcome and congrats!
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

VIP Member
    Welcome aboard from Virginia.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Welcome aboard you are starting right with the instruction.
    LET FREEDOM REIGN NOT GOVERNMENT

Thanks every one for the warm welcomes.

one of my friends told me to save the money because he could teach me, but even though I am very confident in his experience with guns, I would feel more better assure learning from a professional.

I did put my social on the form. this is why I was so confused of the denial.

its funny because after I went to the range, I knew I had to buy a gun for myself but my wife was against it because of the cost. I was at a free outdoor range in Lancaster, Pa. The first gun I ever shot was a 12 gauge shot gun that kicked like a horse. After I done that, my nervousness with his glock was gone. after I sent my wife a picture of me at the range, I think she thought I looked sexy, because all of sudden she changed her mind.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links