Defensive Carry banner

Had an interesting conversation yesterday (actually two one sided ones)

2K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  Huzar 
#1 ·
So I was out with some people (my friends as well as some of their friends) and somehow conversation went to recent crime events (can't even remember which news story brought up the topic). I have brought up the topic of handguns and I was stunned by some of the reactions.

So the second I mentioned the word handgun: not even in the context of a CCW or shooting someone, just in the context of owning one, things got ugly. A person who I have never met before in my life just verbally started assaulting me for promoting violence. Couple of my friends rolled their eyes with the "oh brother.... this is gonna be interesting" and tried to calm the other person down. Talk about a futile effort. Seeing that, I did not even want to think about having a discussion on the topic as I knew that no matter what I'll say she'll just keep getting louder and louder. So as she was trying to catch her breath in the middle of hte tirade, I interjected and said the following:
"I really respect your opinion and while I do not necessarily understand the reason for your strong feelings on the topic I would kindly ask that you respect my opinion and beliefs in gun ownership and self defense and do not judge me for them."

Talk about deflating a baloon. I thought I could hear the air being vented from the puncture. Her eyes got big, the mouth opened and closed and opened again and that was the end of it. Noone has said anything else about guns through the rest of the evening.

As everyone was leaving later on that evening, I had someone (again a person that I have not seen before that night) walk up to me and say the following:
"While I am pretty much against guns on a moral basis, I do not feel attacking people for their beliefs in such a manner is appropriate, and I would like to appologize for my friend. Also I would like to say that I really admire your approach to what has transpired and must admit that it has given me something to think about when it comes to gun enthusiasts. Seems that there are those who are level headed amongst them and I just wish that there were more like you amongst them".

This time it was my turn to get stunned as at that point my jaw dropped, then my mouth closed and openend and closed and opened again. By the time my jaw returned to it's normal operating mode she was turning away and walking away and all I could stutter out was "thank you".......

See less See more
#2 ·
WHEW! Better you than me bro! :rofl:

I have to say, you handled it better than I might have! :wink:

#4 ·
Good job:congrats:

#8 ·
Closed minded ain't in it - that is out and out bigotry!!!

Almost for sure, any attempt to rationalize and engender a good healthy, and useful discussion was not gonna happen - so you did well to defuze things - best way to go in circumstances almost for sure.

It would be good tho to, in quiet surrounding and face to face - be able to ask such people for an explanation as to their paranoia - answer some questions with questions and dig to find that extreme thinking's origins.

Of course as we all know - there are some out there who will never listen to reason or look beyond their twisted gut emotions.

#9 ·
Get out of the PRK, and quickly.

But, as everyone here seems to agree, you did a good job. A great job.

Restraint and respect. May I emulate you.

#13 ·
Good story

Your experience indicates that there is a segment of the population that is opposed to the existence of firearms, especially handguns, for emotional reasons.

Based on what I have seen and heard, this segment tends to be found in urban areas, is heavily female, and has liberal politics in general. This group also advocates using the power of government to restrict or punish activities they do not like. They are intolerant of opposing beliefs, and quickly resort to verbal assaults like you witnessed.

Personally I just try to avoid them, as they cannot be reasoned with or cured of their intolerance.

#14 · (Edited)
It just goes to show what good can come of keeping your cool and responding appropriately. People let their emotions overwhelm their capacity for rational thought and do nothing but hurt their cause.

Well done, Huzar!:congrats:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.