I need help changing a gun policy at my office!

This is a discussion on I need help changing a gun policy at my office! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Ride4TheBrand I doubt that I would offer them copies of my CHL. Who knows where it might end up? Also .. I ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I need help changing a gun policy at my office!

Quote Originally Posted by Ride4TheBrand
    I doubt that I would offer them copies of my CHL. Who knows where it might end up?

Also .. I would have them show me "the power granted in the Concealed Weapon Act to prohibit employees from carrying concealed weapons". As stated earlier, if there is no 30.06 sign, there is no "power"
    I believe that an employer only has to tell you verbally that you aren't allowed to carry. They do not have to have a formal policy or a 30.06 sign.
    XD9 Service
    Bersa 380 Thunder
    Taurus 605
    ...a few others

Texas XD Practical Shooters Association

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Ride4TheBrand's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumberjack98
    I believe that an employer only has to tell you verbally that you aren't allowed to carry.
    Agreed. A license holder can be notified either orally or with written communication.

However, since Timmy was quoting his company's policy via written communication, such communication must fall under the auspices of the Texas Penal Code .. which requires the 30.06 sign as the medium necessary to impart "written communication". Per PC 30.06 (3)(A and B).
    "We must remember that one man is much
    the same as another, and that he is best
    who is trained in the severest school."
    ~Thucydides, History of the Peloponnesian War

Quote Originally Posted by Ride4TheBrand
    Agreed. A license holder can be notified either orally or with written communication.

However, since Timmy was quoting his company's policy via written communication, such communication must fall under the auspices of the Texas Penal Code .. which requires the 30.06 sign as the medium necessary to impart "written communication". Per PC 30.06 (3)(A and B).
    Got me.
    XD9 Service
    Bersa 380 Thunder
    Taurus 605
    ...a few others

Did you submit a letter today?
    XD9 Service
    Bersa 380 Thunder
    Taurus 605
    ...a few others

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar
    Yes I submitted the request today.

First I gave it to my boss and asked her to read through it and she said she did not support it but it looked ok to her. I did not ask why she did not support it because I did not feel like arguing my case with her since she is not going to make the decision anyway.

Then I took it to the CEO who said he had no problem with me carrying but would have to talk to the lawyer and the rest of the management team. I have talked to a couple of the management team and they one seems very positive and the rest seem wishy washy.

I will let you know when I get a decision.
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

Good deal. Please let us know how it turns out and thanks for sharing this situation with us.
    XD9 Service
    Bersa 380 Thunder
    Taurus 605
    ...a few others

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    [QUOTE=Timmy Jimmy] I have talked to a couple of the management team and they one seems very positive and the rest seem wishy washy. QUOTE]

Wishy washy is BAD. They definitely don't like it and they will be watching you, either as a gun nut or someone to get rid of. Sorry.

Is it too late to do a little research into how many "trusted" employees shoot up their workspace v. all other workplace shootings?
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

I am curious to know the results also. I am going to plagarize some of your letter, I might need to write one of my own one day.
    "Beware of the man who only owns one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

Sounds like if they don't approve it, you have a good reason to no longer be the company security guy! And you'll get lots of sleep knowing you won't get any calls at night.

Being a VP of Tech, they wouldn't ask you to run the sytems without an SA password? Same here. They need to allow you to tools to do your job. Assuming alarm, panic button and strange men response is your job.

I applaud you for taking the first stand and asking to get the policy changed.
    Mike Buesing
    Scottsdale, AZ

Senior Member Array torrejon224's Avatar
    Ain't going to happen and all your going to do is draw attention to yourself as they will probably assume your carrying in violation of the policy and will just be waiting to snag you! Don't take the chance if you value your livelihood.

Be glad that you at least have people that are at least willing to listen to your request. I work for a LE agency, my uniform has a large, embroidered, prominently displayed badge on it and for all intents and purposes, I look to the regular person like I'm some kind of detective (which I'm not, I'm not an LEO).

I am not allowed as a "civillian" to carry a firearm with or without a permit while I am at work, going to work, or coming home from work... At all those times I am wearing this large badge on my chest which 99% of the time feels like a target with the eyes of people looking at me in public. And, this is all despite the fact that I work alone and in a semi-secure facility, and my car is parked out front with no security, LEOs or cameras for safety.

Cheers.

Where do you work, soundwave, where they won't let you carry a firearm going and coming to work? Do they pay you commute time? How is this enforceable?
    Mike Buesing
    Scottsdale, AZ

Can't say, but I can say it's in southern AZ. About the to/from work, it's enforceable because AZ is a right-to-work state. ;O)

Cheers.

I am SOOO glad my company has NO firearms restrictions and never will. The owner has made that clear and his open door policy allow for things like this to never happen.
    Mike Buesing
    Scottsdale, AZ

I'd be glad, too. But welcome to one of the many places (and one of the last places you would think) where there is such a policy.

Cheers.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links