I need help changing a gun policy at my office! - Page 3

I need help changing a gun policy at my office!

This is a discussion on I need help changing a gun policy at my office! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK so that did not work, I got this reply via e-mail this morning: TJ Your request to make an exception to the IBAT policy ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I need help changing a gun policy at my office!

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar
    OK so that did not work, I got this reply via e-mail this morning:

TJ

Your request to make an exception to the IBAT policy manual concerning concealed handguns has been considered and rejected by the management team.

We do not feel that this environment warrants the presence of a handgun in the office.

Chris
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

Quote Originally Posted by Ride4TheBrand
    In Texas, the only "provision" which would legally bar you from carrying your weapon (aside from those places specifically codified in Texas law) is the 30.06 sign...
    If your employer does not, then it is legal and you are within your rights to carry.
    NOT TRUE - Verbal or Written notification serves the same purpose and the 30.06 and IT IS BINDING...

TJ - have you considered providing some training for the powers that be?

I would be more than willing to host or convene a workshop for you and yours as to why this is bad policy - done in a Very Anti-CCW Friendly way... I am in Austin almost every week.

I have had tremendous success in the past - over 95% - in helping people to embrace workplace CCW and not fear it...

Let me know.
    Last edited by TC-TX; July 31st, 2006 at 07:49 PM.
    Semper Fi ~

Eagle Scout 1975
    U.S.M.C. 1978-84
    Commercial Pilot
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Certified Flight Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor
    NRA Life Member
    TSRA Member

www.TexasArmament.com

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy Jimmy
    The following policy is in effect at my office:

[I]CONCEALED WEAPONS

It is the intent of the association to provide a safe working place for its employees. Accordingly, the power granted in the Concealed Weapon Act to prohibit employees from carrying concealed weapons shall be exercised.
    Howdy Timmy .. I'm sure someone has mentioned this in this long thread, but it blows me away that they think their working place is safer, WITHOUT law abiding, state-certified people carrying concealed. Maybe your efforts should start with education ... ?? Good luck friend; you'll need it I'm sure.

I'd just let it drop as if it was over. But then let the consequences for their behavior happen.

So, now it is time to NOT go out to the parking lot. When the buzzer rings, just call 911.

Their right to not have you carry. Your right to not put yourself in danger.
    Armed & Dangerous...and Inconspicuous...

Quote Originally Posted by profshadow
    I'd just let it drop as if it was over. But then let the consequences for their behavior happen.

So, now it is time to NOT go out to the parking lot. When the buzzer rings, just call 911.

Their right to not have you carry. Your right to not put yourself in danger.
    Hey prof! I like your Nintendo avatar. Had 2 just like it!

Senior Member Array Ride4TheBrand's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TC-TX
    NOT TRUE - Verbal or Written notification serves the same purpose and the 30.06 and IT IS BINDING...
    Agreed. As stated above
    "We must remember that one man is much
    the same as another, and that he is best
    who is trained in the severest school."
    ~Thucydides, History of the Peloponnesian War

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Your request to make an exception to the IBAT policy manual concerning concealed handguns has been considered and rejected by the management team.
    Fire them back a mail stateing to the effect that anything not under the job description i was hired for has been considered and rejected by the hiree and also put them on notice that you will expect a professional security firm to safeguard yourself and your co workers starting in a week or so LOL .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Hey TJ, with a response like that, I'm +1 with profshadow.

I would let them know that at this point, you do not feel comfortable with the environment of your office. Tell them that because they are removing your right to self-defense that they need to assume that responsibility. They need to hire a security guard to watch the parking lot and inner office, make the security the one to respond for alarms and make the panic alarm dial 9-1-1 instead of you. Tell them that them requiring you to be placed you in such dangerous situations warrants very possible dangerous outcomes that you are not prepared nor comfortable with assuming without reasonable protection. ;O)

Cheers.

My office doesn't allow it. I approached the issue with my board of directors. An attorney on the board stated there is more liability to the business should an employee shoot a client. Leds you to ask "what kind of liability does the business have if an employee gets shoot by a client". i.e. lawsuit by the employees family. How much do you argue? Turns out my employer doesn't search its employees so a few people do carry at the risk of getting fired (no pun intended).

Thanks guys for all the comments. I am very disappointed in my Management Team I thought they cared more about the employees then they obviously do. I don't understand but I am not the boss. I have no idea how I will Handel the next time someone tells me there is a stranger in the parking lot or a homeless person in the bathroom. I can't just turn my back on these people even if they at being stupid.
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

Timmy - Have you thought about asking some of the people who call you, or who have your number to call you during these situations, to write the same letter on your behalf?

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy Jimmy
    I have no idea how I will Handel the next time someone tells me there is a stranger in the parking lot or a homeless person in the bathroom. I can't just turn my back on these people even if they at being stupid.
    Easy. "I'm #1. My safety and wellbeing are my priority. The management team has decided that I may not adequetely defend myself, so I no longer will be the company cop. Please call 911. I'm very sorry."
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Let me play "Devils Advocate"

IMHO: They are more worried about someone dropping their gun in the lounge while getting a coke and taking a secretary out then they are worried about someone getting robbed.

In their mind employees are like children and they must be watched at all times, and all the sharp instruments put away.

How do they know you will not show other coworkers your pistol while in your cubicle or office? How do they make sure that no accidental discharge happens during this time? How do they make sure you don't accidentally shoot through the wall of your office when you go to put the pistol in your desk because it is riding up and take out the FedEx guy making a delivery?

I imagine when the management team called the lawyer, all these little scenarios played in his mind at once. He had visions of people armed at the copy machine, coffee maker, desk, bathroom, etc. and all he thought about was an accidental discharge and how the company would be blamed, and more importantly him. In his mind all he saw was a weekend Rambo waiving his pistol around in the employee lounge expounding on the benefits of being armed at all times to the horror of the rest of the staff.

Don't even get me started if you happen to shoot someone on company property AFTER they made an exception to the policy just for you. It's enough to keep a lawyer up at night.

You've got to remember that most of us, if not all of us, are dealing with people who are in a constant condition white. They have no understanding of where we are coming from because they think they will never have to defend themselves. It will never happen to them. People like us make them nervous because we remind them that anything can happen, and the sheep do not like to be disturbed from their grazing.

Your request took the lawyer about 15 seconds to answer.

Call the police; anytime, and every time you think someone could be in danger. Police presence is a big deal to the sheep. (Bhaaaa) Police remind them that bad things happen, just like we do. Let the cops show up at the office a couple of times a month and that will cause enough discomfort that maybe they will hire some security or take other preventative measures.

But they will probably never let you have your gun.

Jeff thank you for that perspective someday (months from now when it will not sound like I am complaining about a denied request) I will ask the boss why the decision was made. Mean while I like your explanation it makes the management team look better than other scenarios do, and I really do like my management team, and I don't want to think bad of them.

You know it is like that old joke a guys tell a woman if I say something and there are two ways of taking one bad and one good I meant the good way.

So thanks Jeff I will take it in a simi good way.
    Timmy Jimmy

I am prohibited from carrying at work as well. However, my policy allows a taser gun, stun gun, OC spray/Mace, and a knife with a blade less than 4 inches. (Arkansas law states that a blade longer than 3.5 inches is prima facie evidence that the knife is intended to be carried as a weapon. Incidentally, the CCL in Arkansas does not authorize me to carry a knife)

I carry a knife, OC spray, and an M18 Taser in a concealed briefcase. I have yet to see a video of a taser being used in which the subject did not drop to the ground immediately after being hit. If anyone knows of such a video, or can speak from personal experience, I would be interested.

Here are some of the M18 vids: http://www.defenseproducts101.com/taser_video.html

Stay safe bro. Watch your six.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links