Concealed Carry on Crutches

This is a discussion on Concealed Carry on Crutches within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm on crutches for a while and got to go out to my buddy's farm yesterday and d some shooting. While I was out there, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Concealed Carry on Crutches

I'm on crutches for a while and got to go out to my buddy's farm yesterday and d some shooting. While I was out there, I practiced various carry methods, drawing, and shooting on crutches. It presents some challenges since crutches take BOTH hands to operate. Here were some of my observations:

1) I normally carry IWB around 3:00 to 4:00. That's not really working with the crutches because the crutch under your arm holds your arm up too high.

2) I thought crossdraw IWB at abiyt 10:00 or 11:00 position, but same problem. Arm is jacked up so high on the crutch you can't reach it unless you manipulate the crutch.

3) Shoulder Holster. I bought one of these at the last gun show and have it all adjusted nicely. It works out very well in that it rides low enough that the crutch doesn't interfere and I can reach right up with the right hand and draw quickly without having to manipulate the crutch. A light cover shirt or jacket and all is well. The crutch actually helps conceal it.

4) High riding OWB at 4:00 position. With a large handgun in a OWB holster that rides high, I can actually draw from the 4:00 position easily. My Ruger Police Service Six rides high enough in my Hayes holster to work well in this situation.

Shooting on crutches was different. It definitely gives me a lot to think about with regards to self defense, moving off the X, getting out of dodge, etc. I am carrying a higher capacity handgun since my mobility is greatly diminished. I just thought I would share some of my thoughts and observations with this particular challenge. Anyone else have any additional thoughts or ideas?
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Hey Bug, why don't you get one of those "scooters" and mount a .50 on it?

Only kidding, glad everything is falling in place for you and that your weren't as inconvenienced as you thought you might have been.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    Perhaps appendix carry would be ideal since there won't be interference from the crutches. I guess to draw your weapon you could stand on your good leg, drop the crutch on your strong side arm and draw the weapon. I hope you find a good carry system for your situation!
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

I have been on crutches myself a few times over the years. Always presents some real challenges to carrying. I found that I ended up carrying pretty much as I normally did but practiced pushing the crutch on my right hand side out of the way and drawing. I just couldn't get used to carrying a different way.

I hope you are all healed up and back on both feet soon BugDude.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

TVJ
    Quote Originally Posted by alachner View Post
    Perhaps appendix carry would be ideal since there won't be interference from the crutches. I guess to draw your weapon you could stand on your good leg, drop the crutch on your strong side arm and draw the weapon. I hope you find a good carry system for your situation!
    Yes. Same thought.

Toss the crutch at the guy...give him something to do. Cover garment remove with gun hand.

On second thot, skip the toss. Let it drop for speed to access sidearm.
    Last edited by TVJ; April 4th, 2011 at 07:23 PM. Reason: better idea
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
    - Frederic Bastiat

Appendix carry with a snub seems to work out pretty good. I just gave it a try and I can access the weapon. Considering lack of mobility and having my hands busy, I'm thinking this is a good time to carry an alternate access weapon also. Pants pocket on weak side won't work. I'm thinking weak side appendix IWB for access with left hand. With a gun in hand, mobility will be even more difficult so it is one of the rare instances where if something happened I'm standing toe-to-toe. Perhaps hopping for cover. I've often thought of criminals as opportunists looking for someone they perceive as an easy target. I can see how someone would see a person on crutches as more vulnerable.

Lots of good ideas. Sometimes we get into such routines with carrying that we have to think outside the box when the time comes to adapt to varying circumstances. This has actually been a great process for me to evaluate many aspects of my carrying and shooting. My varied collection of carry guns and holsters has really come in handy in this process.

Time to get creative.

BugDude likes this.

^^^^ I like it!!! That does give me cause to think about a crutch mounted holster, but it would be difficult if not impossible to conceal.

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    That Crutch-47 looks interesting!!!!
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    ...it would be difficult if not impossible to conceal.
    Not a problem in Virginia.

Reminds me of the 1971 novel "The Day of the Jackal" by Frederick Forsyth. The OAS hired an assassin to kill President De Gaulle; he planned to use a rifle made to look like a metal crutch.

Hay has a pistol grip and Va. is open carry.
    LET FREEDOM REIGN NOT GOVERNMENT

^^^^ I like it!!! That does give me cause to think about a crutch mounted holster, but it would be difficult if not impossible to conceal.
    well, how about a pocket holster in a pouch that mounts just below, or even outside of, the strong hand hand grip of the crutch. Kind of like a fanny pack only a smaller square pouch , like one of those smaller maxpedition type pouches?

I was on crutches for 2 years... wasn't carrying at the time... but i did find ways to use the crutches to carry extra stuff.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

I was on crutches last year. I also carry IWB at about 3:30. I did as TN Mike mentioned, toss the strong side crutch and draw with one hand. It didn't really bother me too much. I also practiced a few striking techniques with the crutches as I did feel a "little" vulnerable. I also practiced your idea of carrying higher capacity with spare mags. It was usually my G19 with 1 or 2 17 mags.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

more info. how bad is the injury? I am assuming it is one of your legs/feet. Can you drop your strong arm crutch when drawing and lean on the other one or can your injured leg support a bit of weight? I think my natural inclination would prolly be to carry @ 11:00. I draw right handed (normally carry @ 3-4:00 IWB depending on the clothes) and if I had crutches I would want it in front so I did not have to reach around to my back and risk getting caught up in my crutches. I feel your pain though man. I have had a broken hand for the last 6 weeks and just TODAY took my splint off. During that 6 weeks I practiced a lot drawing with my splint on. I knew I would be slower and gripping would be a pain but turns out I got pretty good the more I practiced. I would say, try them all. See what works.
    BugDude likes this.
    EDC: FN FNP-9 w/ three 16 rnd magazines. Mini Maglite.

" The unarmed man is not just defenseless, he is also contemptible." ~ Machiavelli.

I'm on crutches for a while and got to go out to my buddy's farm yesterday and d some shooting. While I was out there, I practiced various carry methods, drawing, and shooting on crutches. It presents some challenges since crutches take BOTH hands to operate. Here were some of my observations:

1) I normally carry IWB around 3:00 to 4:00. That's not really working with the crutches because the crutch under your arm holds your arm up too high.

2) I thought crossdraw IWB at abiyt 10:00 or 11:00 position, but same problem. Arm is jacked up so high on the crutch you can't reach it unless you manipulate the crutch.

3) Shoulder Holster. I bought one of these at the last gun show and have it all adjusted nicely. It works out very well in that it rides low enough that the crutch doesn't interfere and I can reach right up with the right hand and draw quickly without having to manipulate the crutch. A light cover shirt or jacket and all is well. The crutch actually helps conceal it.

4) High riding OWB at 4:00 position. With a large handgun in a OWB holster that rides high, I can actually draw from the 4:00 position easily. My Ruger Police Service Six rides high enough in my Hayes holster to work well in this situation.

Shooting on crutches was different. It definitely gives me a lot to think about with regards to self defense, moving off the X, getting out of dodge, etc. I am carrying a higher capacity handgun since my mobility is greatly diminished. I just thought I would share some of my thoughts and observations with this particular challenge. Anyone else have any additional thoughts or ideas?
    Too bad you couldn't get crutches that fire a .50 cal projectile. Fire one of those off and that will buy you time to draw your handgun.
    "[A]rms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine, Thoughts On Defensive War, 1775

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links