Medical Marijuana User Demands Gun Rights

This is a discussion on Medical Marijuana User Demands Gun Rights within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by archer51 Here is the question as asked on the form 4473. Note the highlighted words. e. Are you an unlawful user of, ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Medical Marijuana User Demands Gun Rights

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Here is the question as asked on the form 4473. Note the highlighted words.

e. Are you an unlawful user of, or addicted to, marijuana, or any depressant, stimulant, or narcotic drug, or any other controlled
    substance?
    If you read the question as emboldened and punctuated, thousands of people could already be disqualified from ownership because of simple prescription meds. If you can't function before your morning coffee... you're addicted to caffeine (stimulant)... no guns for you... and there are physical addictions and psychological addictions, so the feds already have a big playing field.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

2. Remove Ads

VCDL Member
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Theodore Roosevelt

I dont' see why a prescription to a medication should disqualify someone to carry a gun. However, being under the influence of a mind altering medication should disqualify a person from carrying until they "sober up."

MJ is not a drug--It's an herb
    If someone is in a mind altered state--probably best not to be carrying.
    Only problem I could see with an MJ user who is forced to draw his weapon is:
    He'd probably have to finish off his bag of Fritos and eat a couple Oreo's, therefore, drawing of the weapon could take forever.
    This could be very dangerous for the MJ user

Marijuana is an illegal drug its classified a schedule 1 under the Federal controlled substances act.

remember the scene from Platoon when they were toking from a shot gun barrel..not a good idea..Puts a whole new spin on mind blowing..Stoners with gun...not the best idea..
    "Arms in the hands of individual citizens may be used at individual discretion..in private self defense." John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by TapRackBang View Post
    ...remember the scene from Platoon when they were toking from a shot gun barrel..not a good idea..Puts a whole new spin on mind blowing..Stoners with gun...not the best idea..
    Ummmm...HOLLYWOOD!!!

Presuming Medical MJ people are stoned 24/7 is like saying anyone who drinks on a regular basis (after work, weekends, a beer/wine or three with dinner) are drunk 24/7. Likewise people who use Rx pain killers are incapacitated 24/7. The Rx is designed to mitigate the pain so you can function, not knock you out.

...Edited rant

Gonna finish my coffee and make ready for work now.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

OK hollywood aside ( it was a joke)

On the board here the term "law abiding citizen" is used alot. Marijuana is still a federal offense and any medical marijuana users are violating federal law. The real problem with the discussion is the perception of "Medical Marijuana". Medical marujuana use (Yes, there are exceptions) is recreational..not medical, the average medical marijuana card (MMC) holder in California is a 20 something year old white male. This is also statically the most healthy group in the US.

Let be serious, medical marijuana is an end run around the law. The majority of MMC holders use marijuana for recreational purposes.

There is a drug called Sativex that is currently going through medical trials here in the US. Its being used in Canada and England. When it become legal here, and it most likely will..the medical marijuana laws will go away..bummer dude...

All prescription drugs have the danger of abuse. They can't keep Oxycotin from being used recreationally, and the problem of prescription drug abuse is getting worst..so, it doesn't matter which drug of choice you abuse..If you abuse drugs, legal or not, your right to carry should be at question.

Having a MMC does not make you a "law abiding citizen". If you are going to have a serious discussion. don't pee on the ground and try to convince everyone its raining.
    Dadsnugun likes this.
    "Arms in the hands of individual citizens may be used at individual discretion..in private self defense." John Adams

Id like to add that i live in a valley with tons of medical users, marijuana is a addicting substance and people have gone as far as bashing peoples heads in with a hammer for marijuana. Imagine if they have a firearm
    “What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal.” Albert Pike

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy Warcrimes View Post
    prescription != addiction
    prescription != under the influence

MJ is a controlled substance, but so is Percocet. I for one would be quite upset if my license was revoked for having a prescription for pain medication.
    I would support the following course of action:
    1. DEA gets a warrant, searches her property, and finds MJ.
    2. Federal court convicts her of a felony, or declares her to be an addict under statute.
    3. by virtue of these findings, she is no longer qualified to own a firearm
    4. firearms confiscated
    5. If state law requires a person be legally able to own a gun, revoke license.
    I don't follow your logic here. Your saying you don't want to be prevented from having a gun just because you have a prescription for a pain reliever, yet you want the government to prevent some one that has a LEGAL prescription for a different drug, marijuana in this case, to loose their right?

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Rogers View Post
    In the state of Virginia one is not permitted to CCW while intoxicated. Being high on dope should not be some exception to the intoxicated prohibition.
    No one said anything about carrying while under the influence...just owning if you have a medical MaryJane permit. It should be no different than being on prescribed medication. If I'm "under the influence" -- alcohol, MJ , Vicadin or what ever -- you don't carry. But that doesn't mean you aren't allowed to own.

Quote Originally Posted by guardmt View Post
    Id like to add that i live in a valley with tons of medical users, marijuana is a addicting substance and people have gone as far as bashing peoples heads in with a hammer for marijuana. Imagine if they have a firearm
    Odd....I've NEVER heard of someone attacking someone else for mj. I have heard of several counts of people doing the same for prescription narcotics such as Vicodin & Oxycontin.

Quote Originally Posted by random sites
    Myth: Marijuana Causes Crime. Marijuana users commit more property offenses than nonusers. Under the influence of marijuana, people become irrational, aggressive, and violent.

Fact: Every serious scholar and government commission examining the relationship between marijuana use and crime has reached the same conclusion: marijuana does not cause crime. The vast majority of marijuana users do not commit crimes other than the crime of possessing marijuana. Among marijuana users who do commit crimes, marijuana plays no causal role. Almost all human and animal studies show that marijuana decreases rather than increases aggression.

•Fagan, J., et al. “Delinquency and Substance Use Among Inner-City Students.” Journal of Drug Issues 20 (1990): 351-402.
    •Johnson, L.D., et al. “Drugs and Delinquency: A Search for Causal Connections.” Ed. D.B. Kandel. Longitudinal Research on Drug Use: Empirical Findings and Methodological Issues. New York: John Wiley & Sons, 1978. 137-156.
    •Goode, E. “Marijuana and Crime.” Marihuana: A Signal of Misunderstanding, Appendix I. National Commission on Marihuana and Drug Abuse Washington, DC: U.S. Government Printing Office, 1972. 447-453.
    •Abram, K.M. and L.A. Teplin. “Drug Disorder, Mental Illness, and Violence.” Drugs and Violence: Causes, Correlates, and Consequences. Rockville: National Institute on Drug Abuse, 1990. 222-238.
    •Cherek, D.R., et al. “Acute Effects of Marijuana Smoking on Aggressive, Escape and Point-Maintained Responding of Male Drug Users.” Psychopharmacology 111 (1993): 163-168.
    •Tinklenberg, J.R., et al. “Drugs and criminal assaults by adolescents: A Replication Study.” Journal of Psychoactive Drugs 13 (1981): 277-287.
    "Sir, could you please not bleed so much? I have to clean the store after they haul you off and I'd like the rest of my shift, to be, like, you know, better."

Tracers, Grooovy!

e. Are you an unlawful user of, or addicted to, marijuana, or any depressant, stimulant, or narcotic drug, or any other controlled
    substance?
    Marijuana is not a chemically addictive substance. Oddly enough, that first 'or' in the sentence implies that lawful addicts of stimulants are not eligible. Both nicotine and caffeine are chemically addictive stimulants. This law is written in such a way that I would be denied a permit because I need a half-pot of coffee every morning or else I'll get a withdrawal headache. Likewise, chain smokers could also be denied.

You can always fall back on 'unlawful user' because medical cannabis violates federal law, regardless of state law. But it's the state issuing the permit, and they're not responsible for enforcing federal laws...

The only reason why alcohol and cigarettes are legal and MJ is not is because Big Alcohol and Big Tobacco can afford better lobbyists. The biggest reason why Prop 19 failed in California is largely due to the money spent by alcohol distributors and prison guard unions. Marijuana is harmless. I don't smoke it, nor would I smoke it even if it were legal, but I see no logical basis for it to be classified a Sched II drug by the FDA. Nor do any MDs I know of...
    Ek = 1/2 (m*v^2)

Senior Member Array torrejon224's Avatar
    Here in Oregon access to who is granted Medical MJ cards or MJ grower cards is protected under the federal HIPPA act just like any medical record and LE Agenncies do not have access to that information via a computer database. They must show a need for that information and the agency that runs the program is very protective of it. I totally agree with this policy as it is a drug and if they allow LE access to that info they might as well open up all our medical and pharmacy records along with it. I a a retired LEO and totally support it as do most LE agencies here in the state. The biggest gripe the LE agencies have is that there not getting a piece of the pie meaning money!

Quote Originally Posted by guardmt View Post
    Because they're magically prevented from owning guns now?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links